• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TALKNET

P

ponderosaAZ

Who was on the old talknet network?
How many affiliates did they have?
What was Bruce Williams' role in the company, did he own any stations?
What dayparts were they in?

*Bruce Williams

*Dara Wells

*Chuck Harder

*Dr. Hervey Reuben, Psychiatrist ("I'm Dr. Hervey Reuben and this is Talk Net. Saying to every caller, do you think you might be suffering from depression?)

*Bill Finnigan not sure_______________ ? (dark hair, thick glasses, I used to have (AND LOST!) B/W photos of all the hosts)

that was the golden age of N/T radio before it became all agenda, all the time + plus remember the Full Service A/C independently owned stations like KOMO 1000 Seattle w/ personalities and local newsrooms

Community AM radio is dying...the posts on the LPAM (low power AM) group I'm subscribed to via YAHOO reveal that AM is starting again to serve local communities

raccoonradio said:

thanks Didn't know about the Bruce williams plane crash and he almost died! My goodness!

does Sally still have her TV show?

Tom Snyder I still remember his story on ABC of his olds running out of gas as he drove out of the parking garage after the show.
I guess that's because I used to own an "old Olds" (no pun intended).

do I recall that Jay Diamond was on ABC following Tom Snyder??

Talknet also had a show that had the host give advice in life and health issues. I think his name was David Edsel (sp?).

My recollections of Talknet are Bruce Williams & Sally Jesse Raphael on weeknights.
Saturday and Sunday nights was Bernard Meltzer - I think he originated from

My recollections of Talknet are Bruce Williams (7-10) & Sally Jesse Raphael (10-1) on weeknights.
Saturday and Sunday nights was Bernard Meltzer - I think he originated from
WOR 710 9 - midnight.
I seem to remember Meltzer retiring at some point but I don't recall who replaced him.

Dr. Harvey Ruben from Yale University was the most interesting personality on Talknet. He started on weekends, but, I believe, he ended up replacing Sally on weeknights after Bruce Williams. If Talknet was the trailblazer in network syndication, they really did an admirable job although Sally Jessy Raphael was the softball pitcher of the group. The rest gave good hardcore advice.

Believe it was Talknet that had a couple of pre-Dr. Laura advice shows from 10pm-6am or thereabouts in the early 90s, one being Myrna Lamb. I remember Myrna and the other lady eventually being flip-flopped with Ms. Lamb getting the earlier slot.

I was a voracious Talknet listener during the mid- to late 80s. I recall some of their weekend advice shows, like on Sat. nights. I called one once and got some advice.

I liked Bruce Williams and loved hearing Bernard Meltzer.

I think Mutual/ Westwood One watered Talknet down, and kept only Bruce and David Edsel. Edsel's show ran a long time.

I do remember Myrna Lamb. Is this the same Myrna? If so, she's taking individual astrology readings. Call her but "have your credit card ready," as she says on her site. I hope this isn't the TalkNet Myrna Lamb.

http://www.myrnalamb.com/

[size=10pt]I am available for personal astrology consultations in my office or via telephone ... for information please call 401-333-7970. In addition, on Wednesdays, from 7pm to 10pm I do short card readings ~ you ask a question I lay out cards. Call 401-333-7970 for private instant readings by telephone...
no appointment necessary, 5 minutes - $10.00. Have your credit card ready. If you get the answering machine, that means I am talking with someone else. Please leave your number and I'll call you back shortly.
[/size]

EDIT:
I did some more searching. Looks like it is the same Myrna.

http://www.talkzone.com/archive.asp?aid=11771

[size=10pt]Myrna Lamb is a professional astrologer, with more than thirty years experience, overlapping a 20-year career in radio. On the air, Myrna has hosted a variety of call-in programs, first on astrology, then a general advice show, syndicated on NBC/Talknet, broadcast on 300 radio stations nationwide. Her next talk shows aired midmorning on media giant WGY in Albany NY, and then on WPRO, Providence RI. Currently, in addition to seeing clients and writing a series of sex and astrology books, her astrology talk show is on WPRO, and she writes a weekly astrology column. She holds Master of Arts degrees in teaching and psychology and has taught art on every level from pre-school through college, in private classes, public middle school and at Rhode Island School of Design.[/size]

Notice the difference in her photos.

also the Dolans (Ken and Daria) were on TALKNET. since then they've been on WOR-AM NYC. not sure where they are now, except just heard them on the john tesh radio show

The last I heard of the Dolans, they were on WOR's network, but not on WOR itself.

Don't know if that is still true.

David Essel's show was a good one to listen to. I remember it played on Saturday mornings in Greensboro/Winston-Salem.
He quit the show to do more of his own personal coaching business in Florida, from what I remember.

I believe it was the ABC Talkradio Network that pioneered the advice shows. Dr. Toni Grant was the first one to be nationally syndicated, and was quickly followed by Dr. Susan Forward who replaced Dr. Irene Kassorla (who I believe was only on 6 months or so). Dr. David Viscott replaced Grant on Fridays, and then later on Wednesday Thursday and Friday. Grant later was replaced on Mondays and Tuesdays by Dr. Sonia Friedman, and Forward left and was replaced by Dr. Joy Browne, who is the lone survivor, and currently broadcasts nationally on the WOR network. ABC Talkradio was also the original syndicator for Dr. Dean Edell, and they had a child psychologist on the weekends, Dr. Lawrence Balter, I believe.

Anyone remember Gordon Elliot on the ABC talk radio network?

I think his show followed Rush's.

KABC's Michael Jackson originally had the 2-4 eastern slot. When his network show was cancelled, and he reverted back to only 790, Gordon Elliott replaced him on the network.

Ahhh Talknet....."we care". Bruce Williams could be an ass at times but he had a following. I used to have fun as a board op adding the occasional sound effect under the program. My favorite was the "rim shot" after Bruce Williams would say something funny, in a Bruce Williams sort of way. I didn't do it often so not to get caught, but it did add a certain something to the program.

A sound that was real was snoring. Apparently, Bruce would have his dog in the studio during the program and during a quiet passage you could hear the dog snoozing away.

argentarius said:
KABC's Michael Jackson originally had the 2-4 eastern slot. When his network show was cancelled, and he reverted back to only 790, Gordon Elliott replaced him on the network.
That's right. Micheal Jackson was on first. Of course, I know Rush's show wasn't a part of the ABC Talk Radio network, yet many stations carried the network programs after Rush.

I vaguely recall Michael Jackson's show. What was it like? Why was it canceled?
It was as good as if not better than Gordon Elliot's.

Jackson's show had lots short newsmaker interviews and some longer form guests, and of course listener calls. Not sure why it was dropped from the network, but I "think" this occured at the same time that Barry Farber replaced the LA shrinks, Friedman and Viscott, in the 5-7 slot.

Rush's show ran on many of these stations after the network cancelled the Owen Spann Show, but Rush was only two hours at that time. Rush expanded to three hours nationally only after ABC Talkradio ceased operations in Sept 1990. At that time, many of the former ABC Talkradio stations carried Rush from 12-3, then Alan Colmes 3-5 and Barry Farber 5-7. Farber & Colmes had formed a partnership to create a replacement service called Daynet that wasn't ultimately successful, but they did manage to keep it together for a few years.

I also remember ABC Talkradio having two evening shows origination from LA: Ira Fistell - midnight to 3 was a very well read attorney who did an open forum type show. Ray Briem 3-6 AM was sort of a Michael Jackson for the conservative set. Interestingly, ABC Talkradio didn't have programming from 7 PM to midnight ET. Some of their stations actually carried some of NBC Talknet during the evening hours. I know here in Pittsburgh, we had both Williams and Sally Jesse Raphael, and Fistell was aired for only two hours from 1-3. Our local affiliate dropped Talkradio in early 1988, about two and a half years before the network went dark, but there was an affiliate in Youngstown that I believe stayed the course until the end. I remember the service as an overall good idea that wasn't much promoted, and could, even should, have been more successful than it was. The programming was intelligent, non-partisan, and interesting. They may have been a bit heavy on shrinks.

Talknet also had real promise, but when Sally left, the replacements weren't really first rate, and Williams was growing stale. Talknet was definately for older people, as opposed to ABC Talkradio, which seemed to try to appeal to slightly younger people.

Could only wish that these services could be tried again in some form. Talk radio has become so partisan. These types of talk shows would be a welcome change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom