• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TALKNET

argentarius said:
Could only wish that these services could be tried again in some form. Talk radio has become so partisan. These types of talk shows would be a welcome change.

You're right. It would be a refreshing wind in a storm of dust.

Owen Spann. Now that's a name I had forgotten.

Here's an update on him. The pioneering talk host died some years ago.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/11/01/BA95979.DTL

Here's an early line up of the ABC talk radio network
http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=5962.0

argentarius said:
At that time, many of the former ABC Talkradio stations carried Rush from 12-3, then Alan Colmes 3-5 and Barry Farber 5-7. Farber & Colmes had formed a partnership to create a replacement service called Daynet that wasn't ultimately successful, but they did manage to keep it together for a few years.

you must be kidding. Colmes was on over 200 terrestrial stations, compared to the affiliate count of Ed, Stephanie Miller, and "Air America," that's very successful for a Liberal host. Dr. Joy Browne was also part of daynet, along with "Left to Right," featuring Colmes and Farber debating

you must be kidding. Colmes was on over 200 terrestrial stations, compared to the affiliate count of Ed, Stephanie Miller, and "Air America," that's very successful for a Liberal host. Dr. Joy Browne was also part of daynet, along with "Left to Right," featuring Colmes and Farber debating

[/quote]

Remember this was October 1990. There wasn't a lot of syndicated political talk available other than Rush. And Daynet simply picked up many of the ABC Talkradio affiliates that were suddenly without programming. Left to Right was on from 2-3, but most of the stations carried the third hour of Rush. I don't remember Joy Browne being part of Daynet. Didn't she go straight from ABC to WOR? I could be wrong on that. Daynet didn't even last as long as ABC Talkradio - it was gone in a few years. I don't think it even had an NY affiliate. In my opinion, comparing the Colmes affiliate lineup from 1990 to Miller, Schultz, Rhodes today is not very valid - kind of like apples and oranges. There is MUCH more political talk competition today.

argentarius said:

" I don't remember Joy Browne being part of Daynet. "

you could be right, what I recall is that both Barry Farber and Dr. Joy used the same theme music indicating that they might be on the same network (the song played with black colored piano keys only if you know what I mean. And I think I recall Dr. Joy saying, "Our number, 1-800-932-9638. (1-800-9-DAYNET)."

"... Miller, Schultz, Rhodes today is not very valid - kind of like apples and oranges. There is MUCH more political talk competition today...."

yes, but air america doesn't sell well to conservatives, colmes did and still does because he isn't all agenda all the time

{}

I admit when I am wrong. Joy Browne was on Daynet. Here's the scoop on Daynet, straight from Alan Colmes bio.....

The summer of 1990 was an important time in the evolution of talk radio and in the career of Alan Colmes. ABC Talk radio decided to disband its weekday line-up, not content with the profit margin of its nationally syndicated talk product. With the phenomenal success of Rush Limbaugh as a hard-hitting, controversial, conservative host, a group of maverick broadcasters thought they knew better. That group included the legendary Barry Farber, his trusted executive producer, Michael Castello, and Alan Colmes. ABC was to stop delivering its shows on September 28. The following Monday, October 1, there would be lots of stations needing programming. The plan was to be up and running on that date, offering Farber and Dr. Joy Brown, already staples on ABC Talk radio, and to round out the presentation with America's first nationally syndicated liberal: Alan Colmes. Castello, Farber, Colmes, and technical wizard Miguel Laboy created Daynet, and only one thing stood between them and the dream they shared of creating America’s newest radio network: money. With the help of a group of local investors and every penny the assembled participants could spare, Daynet hit the ground running on October 1, 1990 with much more of a wing than a prayer. In fact, many industry pundits suggested prayer as the only way to stay afloat. Astounding onlookers (and some network personnel), Daynet not only survived, it thrived, enabling all parties concerned to build upon their careers. Impressed with “the little engine that could,” Major Networks purchased Daynet at the beginning of 1994. Two years later, building on an association Alan had developed years earlier when he worked at New York’s WHN, Farber and Colmes reclaimed their network and formed an association with the legendary Nick Verbitsky and Dick Clark at United Stations. Colmes, Farber and Verbitsky developed the talk radio arm of United and finally had the resources they had dreamed of to put the final polish on their syndicated efforts.

Great info, an incredible success story, would you have the link that this is derived from?

Thanks!

argentarius said:
I admit when I am wrong. Joy Browne was on Daynet. Here's the scoop on Daynet, straight from Alan Colmes bio.....

The summer of 1990 was an important time in the evolution of talk radio and in the career of Alan Colmes. ABC Talk radio decided to disband its weekday line-up, not content with the profit margin of its nationally syndicated talk product. With the phenomenal success of Rush Limbaugh as a hard-hitting, controversial, conservative host, a group of maverick broadcasters thought they knew better. That group included the legendary Barry Farber, his trusted executive producer, Michael Castello, and Alan Colmes. ABC was to stop delivering its shows on September 28. The following Monday, October 1, there would be lots of stations needing programming. The plan was to be up and running on that date, offering Farber and Dr. Joy Brown, already staples on ABC Talk radio, and to round out the presentation with America's first nationally syndicated liberal: Alan Colmes. Castello, Farber, Colmes, and technical wizard Miguel Laboy created Daynet, and only one thing stood between them and the dream they shared of creating America’s newest radio network: money. With the help of a group of local investors and every penny the assembled participants could spare, Daynet hit the ground running on October 1, 1990 with much more of a wing than a prayer. In fact, many industry pundits suggested prayer as the only way to stay afloat. Astounding onlookers (and some network personnel), Daynet not only survived, it thrived, enabling all parties concerned to build upon their careers. Impressed with “the little engine that could,” Major Networks purchased Daynet at the beginning of 1994. Two years later, building on an association Alan had developed years earlier when he worked at New York’s WHN, Farber and Colmes reclaimed their network and formed an association with the legendary Nick Verbitsky and Dick Clark at United Stations. Colmes, Farber and Verbitsky developed the talk radio arm of United and finally had the resources they had dreamed of to put the final polish on their syndicated efforts.

The station where I was OM first started carrying Barry Farber, then added Dr. Joy for awhile and Colmes. While enjoyed all three, we evently dumped all but Farber. But it was a good idea for its time.

I miss that kind of talk radio. It sure beats hearing the same people talking about the same politics day in and day out.

Anyone have the old ABC Talkradio theme music available? It was classic! How about the Talknet theme "We Care"?? Would love to have those if anyone has them.

argentarius said:
Anyone have the old ABC Talkradio theme music available? It was classic! How about the Talknet theme "We Care"?? Would love to have those if anyone has them.

what year would those have been? I might have them mixed up with other stuff but I think it was probably before I started recording AM radio. I have lots of Radio Graffitti calls including my own.

I hope someone posts them here

argentarius said:
I remember for years, ABC recycled Tom Snyder's great theme song on the Bob Brinker weekend financial show. The music on Brinker's show always made me think of the great Tom Snyder show.

...Tom Snyder also did a bit intended strictly as closed-circuit for the local board ops around the country. He quit doing it after finding out some putz in Minnesota replayed the thing on the local air the following morning...

I remember him talking about that. From his description, it sounded like he made some funny noises with his mouth, maybe putting his lips up against his arm and blowing... You know the sound that comes from such mouth noises.

I miss the old Farber/Colmes show. They made you think, then react, a lot more than hosts today do. Today, it's all just about the reaction.
And I miss hearing Ken Hamblin, but he wasn't on Talknet....

quadraphonic said:
I miss the old Farber/Colmes show. They made you think, then react, a lot more than hosts today do. Today, it's all just about the reaction.
And I miss hearing Ken Hamblin, but he wasn't on Talknet....
Ken Hamblin is/was a great host.
I recall hearing him on KOA whilst vacationing in Calif. I heard him on the air the night that Alan Berg was gunned down (Berg was a legendary host).

I saw "The Black Avenger" on CSpAN and heard his national show, which really should have been carried on more stations. I think it had about as many stations as Boortz's and Bill O'Reilly's each have now.

What a thought-provoking host Ken was. Ken, come back to radio.

ponderosaAZ said:
argentarius said:

what year would those have been? I might have them mixed up with other stuff but I think it was probably before I started recording AM radio. I have lots of Radio Graffitti calls including my own.

I hope someone posts them here

ABC Talkradio was May 1982-Sept 1990; Talknet started approx Nov 1981

I miss Bruce's show so much. A Bruce fan sent me some audio of Bruce's old TALKNET shows (PM me if you'd like more information) and it was really great to hear them again.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom