• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I-95 vs. 'PLRs' Specialty & Weekend Programming

amfmradio1

Leading Participant
Let's take a look @I-95 vs. 'PLRs' Specialty & Weekend Programming:

Weekdays, I-95 programs:

1. Deja Vu Diner
2. My Three Songs
3. Drive At Five
4. Whole Lotta Led
5. Hair Extraordinaire

Weekdays, 'PLR programs:

1. Blue Plate Special
2. Six at Six

So, you can see that I-95 programs more specialty weekday programming than 'PLR.

Weekends, I-95 programs:

1. House Of Hair
2. Homegrown
3. Acoustic Storm
4. The Classics

Weekends, 'PLR programs:

1. Little Steven's Underground Garage
2. Flashback
3. Local Bands

Again, you can see that I-95 has more specialty WEEKEND programming than 'PLR.

This is in addition to a weekend like it is this weekend - a Double Shots Weekend!

Sometimes, they program a Triple Shots weekend, CD Side weekend, etc.

Plus, they had the Memorial 500 weekend, playing the 500 greatest rock songs of all time.

'PLR had a Ticket Picnic weekend, but its Music/Programming Dept. could have produced some kind of countdown for the listeners' pleasure, if they weren't the 9th caller & didn't win tickets.

Rock102/WAQY has been programming Block Party weekends for 25+ years.

Wouldn't you expect more from the station that monikers itself "CT's #1 Rock Station - 99-1 PLR"?

The ratings would seem to indicate that WPLR has a large, devoted audience. Ever think that most of those people actually LIKE the 200 songs that WPLR has in heavy rotation and want to hear them as often as possible? Ever think that special programming blocks might be turnoffs to the core audience?

I don't see why 'PLR should feel the need to expend more energy and money on programming just to achieve some sort of aesthetic parity with WRKI, a station that it's already doing better than, or to please people who want the station to play deep album cuts, which has been a surefire ratings killer since Lee Abrams invented tight-playlist AOR back in the '70s.

CTListener,

Yes, listeners might like the heavy rotation, & want to hear them as often as possible, but, then again, listeners might not like the ridiculous repetition.

Since I-95 still programs Whole Lotta Led, Hair Extraordinaire & House Of Hair, evidentally, they're not turnoffs to the core audience.

Just like 'PLRs' Little Stevens' Underground Garage & Flashback.

I-95 doesn't play deep album cuts.

Since New Haven is a larger city, 'PLR is rated higher.

I'll bet if you programmed I-95s' format on 99.1, & 'PLR's format on 95.1, the format on 99.1 would rate higher.

Just because 'PLR doesn't "expend more energy" doesn't make it right.

The programming and talent on WRKI blow PLR out of the water...it's not even a fair fight.

Caveman said:
The programming and talent on WRKI blow PLR out of the water...it's not even a fair fight.
Doesn't change the fact that PLR still rules New Haven while everyone else plays for 2nd. New Haven's a bigger market than Danbury so the powers that be at PLR could care less if RKI's talent is better. Even if RKI's talent is better, in terms of the New Haven market, so what?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom