• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jumped the Shark: Blatherwatch

equalinercard

Inactive
Inactive User
Blatherwatch is a Seattle blog that (in theory) writes about local talk radio. In fact their slogan is "listening to talk radio, so you don't have to."

It actually used to be somewhat interesting. But for the past year or so it has become more and more irrelevant. Now it's almost all just re-posts of or links to some political blog or some liberal column. It's hardly ever about local talk radio and when it is it is usually two or three days (or weeks) old.

It's hosted by Michael Hood, a free-lance writer whose stuff is usually in 2nd rate rags or free newspapers. He used to be extremely critical of local talk hosts and programming. But now it's just dredge. If he had his own talk show (which he never has or will) he would be axed for sloppy work.

Anyone know what his deal is? Did he have a stroke or something?

equalinercard said:
Blatherwatch is a Seattle blog that (in theory) writes about local talk radio. In fact their slogan is "listening to talk radio, so you don't have to."

It actually used to be somewhat interesting. But for the past year or so it has become more and more irrelevant. Now it's almost all just re-posts of or links to some political blog or some liberal column. It's hardly ever about local talk radio and when it is it is usually two or three days (or weeks) old.

It's hosted by Michael Hood, a free-lance writer whose stuff is usually in 2nd rate rags or free newspapers. He used to be extremely critical of local talk hosts and programming. But now it's just dredge. If he had his own talk show (which he never has or will) he would be axed for sloppy work.

Anyone know what his deal is? Did he have a stroke or something?

Blatherwatch is nothing more than a liberal blog trying to disguise itself as a monitor of talk radio. It jumped the shark the day it started.

As much as I hate to add any more cyber-ink toward Blathwatch, you are right in that Hood (former and failed restauranter and father to ex-KOMO April Zepeda who he often pimps out in his blog) no longer posts anything relevant about the Seattle talk market. When he can't find any news, he rolls out his usual drum beats about hating Dori Monson, how the KIRO morning team hate each other, and how he was a factor in the mental degeneration and the sad death of Mike Webb. He loves to heave grenades with his blog into the news rooms and control booths and gleefully masturbate to his brand of mischief. He should turn the blog into his real obsession: BlatherMunch where he believes he's a restaurant critic, dining in secret at Seattle area eateries.

I could add more, but I won't.

There's a feature that all browsers have that can register your malcontent with a website. Hold down the ALT key, then press F4.

Checked out the board. Content was so-so. Posts ranged from dull to inflammatory to just plain spam. Not worth the time.

I have liked the info Hood has ... WHEN HE HAS IT. I read his primary column with as much concern as I would read any single post here...it's someone posting on the 'net so MAYBE the content is accurate and maybe not.

But I can't read the comments that follow a story because it ends up being the same players attacking each other with the same lame arguments and often extremist pov from either side.

But he's had some good insights on both Fisher and Bonneville stations and that makes it interesting!!

AQH said:
There's a feature that all browsers have that can register your malcontent with a website. Hold down the ALT key, then press F4.

I read this board about once every two weeks. What kills me is not the uninformed conjecture that masquerades as "insight", nor the pining for long ago days when radio wasn't "corporate" and Pat O'Day was still drinking. It's the absolutely awful grammar and abuses of the language that leaves me shaking my head.

AQH, the common usage of malcontent is as a noun, not an adjective. The word you were looking for was discontent. "You can register your discontent by pressing the Alt key then F4. To choose not to press those keys would make you a malcontent."

Let's check a dictionary before we post, people.

Interesting. I had no idea Hood's daughter worked for Fisher.

That may explain why for several years he was a non-stop drumbeat attacking KIRO. And then after his daughter got canned by Fisher he just sort of drifted off into drivel.

I find it very unfair that he never disclosed his family connection to Fisher.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom