• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

holden johnson checking in...

M

Mr-Radio

hi there, my fake radio name is Holden Johnson. i work for wccc doing afternoon drive with picozzi.

i've noticed a lot of people on this board like to complain about how stale this market is and how "i'd change this and that if i were in charge and then i'd flip this station to bla bla bla" and so on and so on. i don't claim to know everything and i think everyone is entitled to their opinion. that being said, i'm sure everyone has some great ideas for great radio and i'd love to hear some of them. i'm not talking about critiquing wccc or dumping on us. i'm talking about some really good original stuff i could possibly borrow (steal) for the air. i'm just curious if we could get some good contest ideas or some interesting topics for the air. you know, a little bit of a brainstorming session for the people that love radio, like i do. i'm not looking for handouts and i don't need help doing my job, i just think it'd be cool if the people on this board could contribute something to the medium this board is about. also i'd like to keep it positive if that's at all possible. if you think wccc sucks or i suck or picozzi sucks or whatever sucks, just keep it to yourself or go post on another thread. if you're in the industry or not - who cares.. lets just toss some stuff out there and see where it goes.. or we can all just continue to read about the dead air that happened at 4:17 am on WILI.

thanks for you time and your ideas... or not.

Good stuff bro...except I don't think we have had dead air discussions about WILI (AM or FM).. or at least I hope not lol.

WILI? Wow! Holden? I thought you'd be trashing The River first! So you're looking for something which isn't "Clear Channel ruined this..." or "CBS Radio took all of the personality out of WRCH..."? OK, I'll see if I can brainstorm and come up with anything.

Say, do you have an opinion on Radio 104.1 or do you really care? I was in Philadelphia last week and they have Radio 104.5 (WRFF?) It was the same voiceover guy doing the legal as Radio 104.1.

i don't think i could care less if i tried... and trying isn't something i care about.

(feel free to add that amazing piece of wisdom to your e-mail signatures, just make sure to give me credit)

KML-224 said:
WILI? Wow! Holden? I thought you'd be trashing The River first! So you're looking for something which isn't "Clear Channel ruined this..." or "CBS Radio took all of the personality out of WRCH..."? OK, I'll see if I can brainstorm and come up with anything.

Say, do you have an opinion on Radio 104.1 or do you really care? I was in Philadelphia last week and they have Radio 104.5 (WRFF?) It was the same voiceover guy doing the legal as Radio 104.1.

It is tough to trash one of the state's respected broadcasters, and one of two actual top 40 stations in the state that sounds decent. Holden, you don't bring a hell of a lot to the table when I listen, and you guys are getting handed it to you by 104 in the ratings.

Play some better music! :D

Don't only target suburban males over 40 who drive pickup trucks and drink cheap domestic beer exclusively. It limits your potential.

Whale said:
Play some better music! :D

Don't only target suburban males over 40 who drive pickup trucks and drink cheap domestic beer exclusively. It limits your potential.

Couldn't have said that better myself.
Though, I really admire you're desire to try and get some creativity on this board and on the radio.

Holden, I've got to give you credit for asking for suggestions. I hope a lot of people respond.

I listen and like your afternoon show most of the time. The thing I dislike the most is the one thing that you probably can't do anything about, and that is the number of commercials. Hey, I know that its a business. I guess I just long for the old days when 8 minutes per hour was the norm.

oh well, i tried to get some ideas going and all i got back was exactly what i wasn't looking for. i'm not suprised.

please feel free to go back to discussing dead air and programming the stations in your head.

thanks for you're time.

How about a $1.06 morning at a local gas station? WPLR has done this for several years. There were people lined up in the middle of the night at an East Haven gas station to take advantage of the bargain.

No, it's not original, but good publicity.

kms575 said:
How about a $1.06 morning at a local gas station? WPLR has done this for several years. There were people lined up in the middle of the night at an East Haven gas station to take advantage of the bargain.

No, it's not original, but good publicity.

Hot 93.7 has also done that. I remember one time. Not sure if they have done it again. Gas was 93 cents.

if you think wccc sucks or i suck or picozzi sucks or whatever sucks, just keep it to yourself or go post on another thread.

oh well, i tried to get some ideas going and all i got back was exactly what i wasn't looking for. i'm not suprised.
please feel free to go back to discussing dead air and programming the stations in your head.

Could this be a cheap shot or maybe he doesn't practice what he preached???

Maybe he was looking for some arse kissing? We gave him suggestions. I don't think they need more promotions, I think they need a better playlist. Also the hosts need to stop acting so smug. WCCC should be the alternative station for Hartford, just allowing 104.1 win because they are picking better songs doesn't seem smart for this armchair PD.

WCCC A to Z playlist week. ( that would definatly take awhile I don't know if its possible...)

If you can't come up with your own ideas and bits, then maybe radio isn't the right career fit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom