• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hong Kong Radio and TV?

K

kenglish

I have a friend who lives in Sai Kung, HK.

Just for grins, if I visited, should I bother with a radio? ;D

In other words, from a broadcaster's perspective, is there anything good to listen to or watch? What are the stations like?

Sadly the radio in Hong Kong is nowhere nearly as exciting as in other Asian mega hubs such as Signapore or Dubai. Beijing's radio is actually better.

Singapore and Dubai, I could understand. But....Beijing?! I guess they are becoming more and more "Westernized".

Maybe I should send my friend a Slingbox ;) .

While I'm thinking about it....
I wrote to the Singapore Government TV administrative folks a year or so back, concerning an issue with urban antennas, and, in their answer, I got the impression that Singapore is all (exclusively) Cable TV now.
Do they still have OTA broadcasts of TV?

Yes fascinating origins about the term 'Oriental' .. The Orient are a football team where I come from, to further confuse the issue. But there's no way you can tell a person who lives in an Arabic-speaking country that he lives in Asia. Even the terms 'Asia' and 'Asian' are odd to me, because no one on Earth is more 'Asian' than a Russian, I guess Indians don't like to be know themselves as Indians.

But you know, the real benefit of stopping being an idiot by claiming Dubai is in Asia .. is that you'd no longer be an idiot ;)

Let's make it simple. The Middle East isnt part of Europe. There are several Arabic countries in northern Africa, but the overwhelming majority of them are in Asia.
Turkey is for the most part situated in Asia though parts of it, including half the city of Istanbul, happens to lie in Europe.
The UAE, or United Arab Emirates is to be found on the Asian continent, right on the Persian gulf. Dubai is a city in the UAE henceforth it is a part of Asia.

Hong Kong Radio/TV is boring. Hong Kong has 4 TV stations (2 in English and 2 in Cantonese)
TVB Pearl - English
TVB Jade - Cantonese
ATV World - English
ATV Home - Cantonese (Their local news tends to be biased, they tend to be more pro-bejing in their newscast than TVB).

As for radio.

AM
RTHK 3 567 - Full Service AC (English)
RTHK 7 621 - News/Talk (Mandarin)
RTHK 6 675 - BBC World Service Relay (English)
RTHK 5 783 - News/Talk/ Cultural (Cantonese)
CR AM 864 - Full Service AC (English)
Metro AM 1044 - News (English)

FM
CR 1 88.1 - News/Talk/AC Music (Cantonese)
CR 2 90.3 - Canto Pop (Cantonese)
RTHK 1 92.6 - News/Talk (Cantonese)
RTHK 2 94.8 - Canto Pop (Cantonese)
RTHK 4 97.6 - Classical (English / Some Cantonese)
Metro Showbiz 99.7 - Entertainment Talk/Music (Cantonese)
Metro Fiance 104.0 - Business News (Cantonese)

Hong Kong Radio is model after the UK radio, especially thier are only 13 radio stations for the population of 7 million people.

FTA channels are not that exciting but cable televisions are pretty fun, and specially the Star TV hubs.

Speaking of Free to Air channels. Can people in Hong Kong able to receive FTA channels from Macau, and mainland China. Can people in Hong Kong able to recieved TDM from Macau, Guangdong TV from Guangdong province, Shenzhen TV from Shenzhen and CCTV (1-12)? If not is China PAL compatible with Hong Kong PAL system?

CHRles said:
Let's make it simple. The Middle East isnt part of Europe. There are several Arabic countries in northern Africa, but the overwhelming majority of them are in Asia.
Turkey is for the most part situated in Asia though parts of it, including half the city of Istanbul, happens to lie in Europe.
The UAE, or United Arab Emirates is to be found on the Asian continent, right on the Persian gulf. Dubai is a city in the UAE henceforth it is a part of Asia.

Absolutely true - and there's actually little argument on these points. The Red Sea separates SW Asia (i.e. Arabian Peninsula) from Egypt, which is part of Africa. Europe, which is a man-made "continent" anyhow, begins on the west bank of the Bosphorous River at Istanbul and that's several hundred miles northwest of the UAE. If you're in Dubai, you're in Asia.

e-dawg said:
Speaking of Free to Air channels. Can people in Hong Kong able to receive FTA channels from Macau, and mainland China. Can people in Hong Kong able to recieved TDM from Macau, Guangdong TV from Guangdong province, Shenzhen TV from Shenzhen and CCTV (1-12)? If not is China PAL compatible with Hong Kong PAL system?

And, can you get FM signals from the PRC when you're in HK? With so few signals on the band, it should be pretty open to dx - or is it?

Absolutely true - and there's actually little argument on these points. The Red Sea separates SW Asia (i.e. Arabian Peninsula) from Egypt, which is part of Africa. Europe, which is a man-made "continent" anyhow, begins on the west bank of the Bosphorous River at Istanbul and that's several hundred miles northwest of the UAE. If you're in Dubai, you're in Asia.

And, can you get FM signals from the PRC when you're in HK? With so few signals on the band, it should be pretty open to dx - or is it?

yes, you can pick up at least 10 fm stations from PRC in HK.
for TV, in the northern part of HK, close to the border to PRC, you can pick up at least 15 TV stations broadcast in DTMB, or 4 or 5 PAL stations.

the power of Macau TV or FM are so weak that most place in HK cannot receive them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom