Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOOGLE Radio Ad Buying Service

Re: GOOGLE Radio Ad Buying Service

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnrayp
    The point (against Google Radio in this case) might be the devaluing of your product. Once you start discounting you open quite the can 'o worms. Imagine your local or national clients seeing that you are letting spots go for a dollar a holler. How much longer do you think they will pay the rate you've been charging them all these years?
    You bring up a good point. Need to strike a balance, knowing Google Radio ain't going away.

It's new technology, but lowballing isn't new, even having companies come in and scarf up your unsold industry (those cheese-nip safety campaigns for example, although they charge buku bucks).

I was told that Google wanted a ten thousand dollar up-front payment from a station to join the Google network. Plus you had to switch to the Scott automation.

"Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Radio has become a commodity. It never was, but now it is. Bla, bla, bla, it’s all the same..

Similar products like beans, and coffee and the only thing that separates them is price.
    How low will you go?

I don't think the top stations are a buck a cluck. Many of Google's stations are rimshots and county stations. But the better stations are on Bid4Spots, which isn't quite as bad.

Here in Palm Springs we got the Scott automation system when Scott still owned it a while back. When Google took over we started running the spots. It has been all good for us. Dollars coming in from spots that otherwise would have been PSA's.

Quote Originally Posted by SALESGUY2000
    There were a few of our reps selling on Ebay! The days of self service are here.
    So how is iit working for them?

Just read in radio and records today Google is ending this service.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 In a Row
    The point (against Google Radio in this case) might be the devaluing of your product. Once you start discounting you open quite the can 'o worms. Imagine your local or national clients seeing that you are letting spots go for a dollar a holler. How much longer do you think they will pay the rate you've been charging them all these years?
    You bring up a good point. Need to strike a balance, knowing Google Radio ain't going away.
    Well, Google selling radio ads is done, as of today - see a story here on radio info as well as on allaccess...

As for how it had worked previously - it was relatively simple...Since google bought scott studios, the had the ability to see what avails were not being used by station inventory - and then they would fill it with ad's sold to googles national clients...it was a win/win to a certain degree, but back in 2005 at the stations I worked for wayyyyyyy up north, it was a nighmare for my traffic person reconciling what google spots aired, etc.

The stations I worked for back then paid for the scott studios by airing google spots - it took about a year to pay off, but in the end, it was worth it - and after it was paid off, then there was additional revenue for avails that weren't being sold anyway.
    You want fries with that?

tcsnrayp

I know some programming people who would disagree that getting Scott was worth anything... cash or barter don't matter when the product is not suited for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by radiopropd
    Quote Originally Posted by 12 In a Row
    Well, Google selling radio ads is done, as of today - see a story here on radio info as well as on allaccess...

As for how it had worked previously - it was relatively simple...Since google bought scott studios, the had the ability to see what avails were not being used by station inventory - and then they would fill it with ad's sold to googles national clients...it was a win/win to a certain degree, but back in 2005 at the stations I worked for wayyyyyyy up north, it was a nighmare for my traffic person reconciling what google spots aired, etc.

The stations I worked for back then paid for the scott studios by airing google spots - it took about a year to pay off, but in the end, it was worth it - and after it was paid off, then there was additional revenue for avails that weren't being sold anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12