Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPLR - CTs' "#1" Rock Station?

WPLR - CTs' "#1" Rock Station?

Listen to the artists on Rocker I-95 & Active Rocker 'CCC compared to 'PLR.

Variety on I-95 & 'CCC!

Too many artists to mention here.

How can 'PLR claim to be CTs' "#1" Rock Station?

If you repeat to a listener something over & over, they'll start to believe it.

Like Marshall McLanahan quoted in his book, "The Medium Is The Message", it's "subliminal seduction".

It's a lie & a scam.

New Haven isn't the largest city in CT, & it isn't the capital.

They're #1 in New Haven.

It certainly isn't because of the music they play.

Re: WPLR - CTs' "#1" Rock Station?

PLR knows its audience, and knows that that audience has no need for variety. PLR also knows which artists and songs are likely to keep that audience listening, and its numbers over the years prove it.

I'm in Meriden. When I take my car to the garage, PLR is playing in the background while the mechanics work, not CCC. When I drop by the convenience store late at night, the clerk is listening to PLR. It's a blue-collar, mass-appeal, mainstream classic rocker that also plays a few focus-group-tested current tracks. Don't expect it to become anything else unless you can tell Cox how its ratings and ad billing can improve by doing so. And since it's already #1 in its market -- the only market that matters to its advertisers -- I'm not sure there's anything you could suggest that Cox would consider for a second.

radio monkey

The only thing I am sure of is that WPLR would be a much better radio station if they hired Jack Allen back.

CTListener,

Agreed, most stations/outlets/facilities know their audience, & the current PD is just continuing the work of the PD before them.

Why the PD left is another issue.

Disagree that they know that the audience has no need for variety.

No wonder people are turning to Satellite Radio & IPOD.

Why do they dumb down the audience?

The audience is smarter than you think.

Your quote: "PLR also knows which artists and songs are "likely" to keep that audience listening" - Notice the key word "likely" does not mean that it is going to make the listener happy.

Do we have to hear "Radar Love" everyday?

Like you said, 'PLR plays in the background.

It's a background station, just like the Beautiful Music stations of old played "Elevator Music".

'PLR has a strong signal in the New Haven area, that's why they're rated #1.

No other reason.

radiotech101

Actually, from a technical standpoint, PLR is CT's #1 rock station as it's the only rock station that can be picked up statewide. WRKI doesn't get too far past the I-91 corridor, and CCC is interfered on both sides by 106.7 in NYC and 107.1 on the Island, once you get west of the Housatonic. As a matter of fact, as I grew up in the Bridgeport area, Hartford stations weren't even a factor. NYC came in better.

You can hear WRKI in 5 states...
    www.cavemanradio.com  *****

radiotech101

Yup.... and before WBEA/WMOS/The Wolf signed on 104.7, K104 WSPK Poughkeepsie boasted 7 states, covering "New York, New Jersy, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and a little itty, bitty piece of Vermont". Best Legal ID I've ever heard. Heck, WKBW (or is it WWKB now?) on 1520 can be heard in 10 states in the northeast, as well as half of Canada.

Well..., at least until the giant IBOC hoax destroys what NRSC didn't already kill. Then, they'll be lucky to cover Buffalo. AM is doomed.

I digress...

The point is, in my experience of doing heavy weekend cruising with the little lady, and exploring the back woods of CT, WPLR is the only signal in the state that blankets Connecticut. KCI gets wiped out by CBS in FFLD, or they'd have the same coverage. Star takes a beating from WLCQ in Springfield/ Feeding Hills, and by Worcester's 100.1 The Pike, and for some reason that I've never figured out, Meriden Mountain can't get past the Housatonic River. I grew up on WRKI, and their mix is awesome, but 'PLR can continue playing the same 400 songs, with a smattering of something new, and continue to dominate. Their listeners are loyal, even if they ID with ZZ Top.

Every hour... Of every day... of every week... You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by radiotech101
    I grew up on WRKI, and their mix is awesome, but 'PLR can continue playing the same 400 songs, with a smattering of something new, and continue to dominate. Their listeners are loyal, even if they ID with ZZ Top.
    I agree, I grew up on both WRKI and 'PLR, but I went all-WRKI about 10 years ago. The station just sounds better, their mix really is awesome, their on-air personalities are pleasant and it's an overall better radio station.

I could see why 'PLR is #1 in New Haven (but NOT CT, let's be real!). They've always been good at marketing their station and they have a cult following in that part of the state. But I never liked their playlist. Seems like they run way more commercials than I-95 WRKI, and their personalities (Tom & DJ, Wigmeister?) are overboard. I don't want to hear you yelling in my ear, just play me some frickin music! It's why I like 'RKI.

radio monkey

Tom and DJ???????? no such people on PLR

radiotech101

Not right now there's not, but Tom Bass was the long-time mid-day guy before he left and Pam took over.

"DJ" stumps me, though. I think the Wiggy bit was great, though. I remember listening to the Friday 5pm "Shanty/Hubba Hubba" bit on I-95, then switching over to Wigmaster at 5:12 every week. Good radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast