• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

call screeners

Definitely use a screener. Callers don't like to think they're calling a one-man-show.

There is a small AM station in our local market that has no screeners. The host just goes down the line. Occasionally one of the hosts will pick up the line during a break just to tell the caller 'you are up next'.
Having said that, I think a national host needs a screener.

I remember the days when Bob Grant took cold calls and it was great. He could handle anyone, the crazier the better.

7165red said:
I remember the days when Bob Grant took cold calls and it was great. He could handle anyone, the crazier the better.

Bob could be both charming and insulting, though I agree, "he could handle anyone..." I remember how he "handled" those endless rambling callers with the running water sound effect. And then those on-air fits he threw at callers falling from grace, "Get off of my phone, you ###@***!!!!!!..." Shades of egotist Allen Burke, I used to think. Then, one day I heard Burke filling in for the "vacationing Bob Grant."

I'm guessing though that Bob used screeners on his WABC show in the '80's & '90s. I remember his annoyance with callers straying off topic, and even some he blasted for deceptively misrepresenting their point, obviously to a screener, just to get their calls aired.

My only slam against Grant was his haste to humiliate callers, even those who appeared sympathetic to his own ideology.

I called kim comando to ask about how to get into bios or somethign a lil deeper with the puter. mike the call screener told me that my question was too deep for most of there audience. I think lio laporte is more willing to take calls, even if they go to a deeper subject nature in regards to puters. I did figure out how to do what i wanted to do.
i like both shows, but like that lio seems to be more willing to take a caller such as myself.
b

jfrancispastirchak said:
7165red said:
[/
quote]

The main thing about Bob's old show was that they were never dull.

Bob could be both charming and insulting, though I agree, "he could handle anyone..." I remember how he "handled" those endless rambling callers with the running water sound effect. And then those on-air fits he threw at callers falling from grace, "Get off of my phone, you ###@***!!!!!!..." Shades of egotist Allen Burke, I used to think. Then, one day I heard Burke filling in for the "vacationing Bob Grant."

I'm guessing though that Bob used screeners on his WABC show in the '80's & '90s. I remember his annoyance with callers straying off topic, and even some he blasted for deceptively misrepresenting their point, obviously to a screener, just to get their calls aired.

My only slam against Grant was his haste to humiliate callers, even those who appeared sympathetic to his own ideology.

wouldn`t the show be more honest if there was no screeners?

Possibly, but it would be a mess. I'm a producer and I screen calls to craft a conversation. The host of the show only gets the gist of what a caller is going to say so he's better able to respond, but I pick the order of the calls, not him. I'm putting on an entertaining show, not trying to sell an agenda, so I don't think honesty really comes into it.

I would add that profane callers are another important reason to screen calls.

Last edited:
Most nationally syndicated political talk shows don't employ screeners in the way locals do as Limbaugh, Hannity, Maddow and the like use paid callers. They are not going to risk the possibility that a credible caller that has the ability to effectively challenge their position is going to get through.

I am a conservative and I approve this message.

Most nationally syndicated political talk shows don't employ screeners in the way locals do as Limbaugh, Hannity, Maddow and the like use paid callers. They are not going to risk the possibility that a credible caller that has the ability to effectively challenge their position is going to get through.

You keep repeating this lie enough and maybe someone will believe it. I guarantee there are people reading this board right now that have called one of those shows and personally talked to a screener. Just stop it.

Jeez, Rush's screener is probably the only other guy on the show anyone can name.

I know Hannity uses some ringers, don't think all of the callers are paid, but I know for a fact that one of my regulars makes it on to Mark Levin on a fairly regular basis.

Any "credible caller" that would have the ability to "effectively challenge" the talk host's position would just be shouted down, so what's the difference?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom