• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

call screeners

F

flashback

how long have call screeners been used in talk radio?

personally I prefer the days when you just called the number given and went directly to the host on the air.I know that was the case because I called talk shows years ago and thats how it worked.

I think that made for more interesting radio.

Regardless of market size, small medium or large, you need a screener. Even if all they take is the name and location, it can save you major trouble.

Believe me, a call screener can and will make or break the flow of a show. A good call screener that knows how to coach callers can move the show along, and keep the momentum in check. Screeners are worth their weght in gold! Problem is, MOST producers don't know how to train, or tell screeners what to do, or what they need/want from them. They don't tell them how to answer the phone properly, how to probe, how to disconnect from a worthless caller without offending. All this is monumentally important. Never ever do you just put a caller straight on the air. That is a recipe for disaster.

As a producer who was also a co-host, it was BAD not to have a screener--no time to get anything but a name because you had to get back to what was on the air as soon as possible. We aired a lot of crappy calls because of that. I'm starting a new show soon and call screener is one of the first things I put in place.

Image99Seven said:
Believe me, a call screener can and will make or break the flow of a show. A good call screener that knows how to coach callers can move the show along, and keep the momentum in check. Screeners are worth their weght in gold!

When I Produced and Directed a shows at KFYI in Phoenix.. we had some of the best. Full boards and never a dull moment. Great callers I might add AS I not only ran the console, Screened, as well as did numerous ops, programming, and technical tasks at once and never missed a single beat. Now things are really different.

Speaking as a listener, I can say that call screening is/will be the downfall of talk radio.

It's not reallyTalk if you know what the caller is going to say.

brian65 said:
Speaking as a listener, I can say that call screening is/will be the downfall of talk radio.

It's not reallyTalk if you know what the caller is going to say.

okay, point taken but it's easier and flows better if you know who's calling, because if you don't you could get the same jerk calling back again and again on air and make a segment or 2 of bad radio, no matter how good the topic of convorsation/talk host is

gr8oldies said:
I know if WLW didn't screen, I'd have to listen to non-styop Ken the nazi.

My thought exactly.. I could name a few callers that some hosts that I worked with banned.

flashback said:
how long have call screeners been used in talk radio?

personally I prefer the days when you just called the number given and went directly to the host on the air.I know that was the case because I called talk shows years ago and thats how it worked.

I think that made for more interesting radio.
Some of the funniest radio you will ever hear is Neil Rogers taking calls without screening. Neil is one of the few in the business witty enough to make it work.

jimwalsh2001 said:
Trust me, speaking as a talk host - I will never work on the air again without one...

Jim,

With all due respect, "Trust me"? I know you are not a USED car salesman. But I do respect the talk host in you.
:D
The Beave

UpstateNYBill said:
flashback said:
wouldn`t the show be more honest if there was no screeners?

Not necessarily, most programs don't want calls from the old folks home or people who stumble over words.

that doesn`t answer the question.what has that got to do with would the show be honest or not?by blocking that wouldn`t it be less honest?

I've worked on shows that have used them, and some that don't. Having a call screener eliminates the repetition, or the irrelevant calls. Also, letting them know they're next eliminates the confusion once they're put on the air.

The other thing I've learned is that what the caller says to the screener doesn't always end up on the air. Some callers know what to say to the screener just to get picked. Then they say something else on the air. But since only a small percentage of callers actually make it on the air, it's helpful to make sure the best ones get through.

so you use them to stack the deck to make you look good .not to put the thoughts of the people overall on the air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom