Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO?

Re: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO?

CC AND Cumulas (with the help the FCC gave them through deregulation) have destroyed the radio industry.

On the other hand, who can blaim them? The FCC told the industry that you can own as many stations as you want in every market, eliminate 90% of the programming, air, news and engineering staffs, automate and combine all the air work, and then combo sell the ads at cut rate prices.

Is it any wonder CC and Cumulas went and then bought as many stations as they could in everything except one horse towns, and then killed all localism?

A few talented and lucky souls (Imus, john boy&billiy, stern, love sponge, etc.) were able to do well through syndication, but with the demise of small and medium markets training grounds, and then major market employeers to move on too, where is the future for radio talent?
    It is gone. Talent is rapidly disapeering, and in 20 years I doubt you will even find a single live station as this trend exists.

Thanks FCC..that really is protecting the public interest.

I am happy to see radio industry stocks tanking.....I guess what comes around does go around.

On another board someone called CC "Cheap Channel." Yup, sure explains it well here selling off their small market stations!

ratingsgeek

Quote Originally Posted by ruger22com
    CC AND Cumulas (with the help the FCC gave them through deregulation) have destroyed the radio industry.

On the other hand, who can blaim them? The FCC told the industry that you can own as many stations as you want in every market, eliminate 90% of the programming, air, news and engineering staffs, automate and combine all the air work, and then combo sell the ads at cut rate prices.
    Oh, you can blame Clear Channel. The FCC--in enacting the Telecommunications Act of 1996--only did what Congress made the law.

But that law was created by Lowry Mays and his company, Clear Channel--in cahoots with Tom Hicks and his company, Capstar. (Upon folding Capstar--renamed AM/FM--into Clear Channel, Hicks became CC's largest stockholder). Hicks and Mays had determined years before that there was a killing to be made by changing the law. That the killing would also kill the radio industry was incidental.

It's the Scorched Earth method of doing business. Ever see "Wall Street?" Greed is good--from the perspective of the one getting all the money.

It's also what John Edwards (and no one else) is talking about: government by-and-for corporations... where laws are bought & sold. If you like what Clear Channel has done and want more of it, either Mitt or Hillary will gladly comply.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    In the same period, Yahoo lost 80% of its value. And CCU, at about $42 a share (including the Live Nation distribution) has lost about 50%. In fact, the entire NASDAQ average over the same period is off by about 50%.
    That's the great thing about investment comparisons, there's always someone doing worse. Yeah, look at Enron. Look at Countrywide. I feel so much better now about my Clear Channel investment. :'(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12