Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO?

alex4490

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO?

It's pretty sad........I just don't know what is with all the trash talk about Clear Channel. Are they really struggling financially by making some cut-offs/firings in the major markets? I don't understand

-Alex

ratingsgeek

Re: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE TALK ABOUT CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO?

Quote Originally Posted by alex4490
    It's pretty sad........I just don't know what is with all the trash talk about Clear Channel. Are they really struggling financially by making some cut-offs/firings in the major markets? I don't understand

-Alex
    Not so much that they're struggling, but rather trimming down the expense sheet to show a much more attractive forward CF for their private equity investors, ain't it?

Anybody have a national CC EOY bodycount? A hundred? 200?

ratingsgeek nails it! Don't know the count right now but it probably won't slow down anytime soon. I think we are seeing a text book case study developing right before our eyes stemming from this period of deregulation. It will touch all facets of business. If it brings any solace, our grand children will probably study this era as what not to do.

The howling of the wolves moves closer to the door. Stoke the fire children and gather 'round for a story......

What planet are you on? CC has ruined the industry for both employee opportunuties, small ownership, programming and the communities they "serve". Their business model worked for a few years, now it is collapsing upon itself. Their investors lost their shirt, and the stock is near worthless, trading around $2.50. Whole cities left without a single person on duty to operate or contact in case of an emergency. Cookie cutter programming in every city, and cookie cutter voice tracking, EVEN IN MORNING DRIVE!

Why don't people like Clear Channel? Do you own a newspaper or something?
    Any day above ground is a great day!

Not Quite Worthless...

CC (and others) damaged radio as an industry, but their stock is trading at $35.95. Last I heard, the buyout offer was around $39.00 per share.

Some investors got in well above that number, and will lose money.

I don't disagree with much of the rest of amfmsw's post.
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

Julius Leonard Marx

$35.95 now. $100 in 2000.

They went into debt buying stations and often paying too much for them. Now they have to sell stations, often at a loss. Now they are refinancing. Employees get screwed. Individual investors get screwed (big investment bankers, fund investors, and outfits like Bain don't worry about you and your life savings; you are marks in their game).

CC (and others) have definitely homogenized radio. :

Gentlemen,

You are absolutely correct. I erred in my statement. My apologies.

It's Citadel that's trading in the $2.50 range. CC only lost 65% of it's investor's money!

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by amfmsw
    Gentlemen,

You are absolutely correct. I erred in my statement. My apologies.

It's Citadel that's trading in the $2.50 range. CC only lost 65% of it's investor's money!
    In the same period, Yahoo lost 80% of its value. And CCU, at about $42 a share (including the Live Nation distribution) has lost about 50%. In fact, the entire NASDAQ average over the same period is off by about 50%.

The stock market has as much to do with the economy, feelings about the future and perceptions as it does with the actual operations of the companies whose shares trade on the markets.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

David, again, one of the rare occasions I agree with you. But 65% is a huge loss, so is 80!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast