• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPJV 88.3 FM - Pirate or LPFM Station in the Poconos?

polaris26

Inactive
Inactive User
For some time now, I have enjoyed listening to a station that comes on evenings and weekends at 88.3 on the FM dial. They occasionally have short pre-recorded ID's stating "WPJV" as the call letters, but I don't see this listed on any official radio station listings. I am thinking they are a pirate station, since they don't play commercials, although they do play PSA's from time to time, and they never give a location. The format is mostly classic jazz and old swing/pop from the 30's to the 50's. It comes in loud and clear at my location in the west end of Monroe County. Anyone else ever tune in to this one?

just curious...
Dave

polaris26 said:
For some time now, I have enjoyed listening to a station that comes on evenings and weekends at 88.3 on the FM dial. They occasionally have short pre-recorded ID's stating "WPJV" as the call letters, but I don't see this listed on any official radio station listings. I am thinking they are a pirate station, since they don't play commercials, although they do play PSA's from time to time, and they never give a location. The format is mostly classic jazz and old swing/pop from the 30's to the 50's. It comes in loud and clear at my location in the west end of Monroe County. Anyone else ever tune in to this one?

just curious...
Dave

It seems WPJV is a college station in Mansfield. From what you described..it sounds like a college format.

Tom Woods said:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. I checked into this online, and I couldn't find a Mansfield, PA within 150 miles of here. There are some references to a WPJV-FM for Mansfield Christian School of Willard, OH, but I am on the eastern side of PA. The station I am hearing sounds reasonably professional, and plays a nice music format, but does not give a full station I.D. (no location given). A while back, I tried driving away to the south in my car while tuned into the station, and if I recall correctly, it faded out after maybe 10 or 15 miles at most. Still very puzzling...

Dave

polaris26 said:

just curious...
Dave

It seems WPJV is a college station in Mansfield. From what you described..it sounds like a college format.

Well Dave, Now I'm stumped....Can't figure that one out...If you ever find out what it is...please post..

Thanks

Tom

Well… shiver me timbers mateys, where might we find yur buccaneers? Looks like you may have discovered something, or better yet – not discovered something. Checking the ‘official’ FCC database turns up no listings for WPJV (FM) or WPJV (AM) anywhere in the country.

Use this link if you would like to see for yourself: http://www.fcc.gov/searchtools.html

(The answer to the above question – they be under me buckin’ hat.) ;D

Mansfield PA is up in Tioga County, no? Or Bradford County? Isn't that one of the counties WNEP is proud to serve?

I think the station in question is some miles north of WB, but I forget where. It comes in clear in WB Twp.

Father Tom...I have an I-River MP3 with FM...I'm sitting here in Wilkes-Barrre Twp...And can't pick up a thing on 88.3 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

FCC says...

THE FCC DENIED THE APPLICATION FOR REVIEW
FILED BY MANSFIELD CHRISTIAN SCHOOL FOR
CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OF WPJV (FM), WILLARD,
OH (Report No. MM 95-104, Mass Media Action)
The FCC denied the application for review filed
March 8, 1995 by Mansfield Christian School for
Contruction permit of WPJV (FM), Willard, OH.
Action by the Commission October 30, 1995 by
MO&O (FCC 95-452).
News Media contact: Kara Palamaras at (202) 418-
0500. Mass Media Bureau contact: Kelly D. Yakisich at
(202) 418-2710. [Internet filename: nrmm5116.txt]

Tom W (not to be confused with Tom C): I was up around the top of Blackman Street and heard it well, but that was maybe last year or so. Mike Moran thought it was coming from --and I am just tossing out a general direction here-- Honesdale or up that way. Could be that one is gone (maybe was a pirate, arrrr) and someone else is transmitting.

88.3, WLKA-Tafton (Just east of Scranton) is an Educational Media Foundation K-Love station.

Sunday night, 6pm - WPJV is once again on the air! Great listening for being snow bound. I have to try driving up north sometime to see how the signal fares. Check out 88.3 on Sunday nights if you get a chance.

Dave

OK so now this is beginning to be a total mystery - I love WPJV because it is a consistant jazz voice but... It is most certainly NOT a legal FM station! WPJV 88.3 FM is on the air 24/7 now. This guy must have a huge record collection. I think he even does live shows on Sunday nights... Most of the time the station is pre-recorded. WPJV - the 'Poconos Jazz Voice at 88.3 FM - can someone shed some light on this? BTW - the station is heard in the Brodheadsville/Effort/Appenzell area and not too far beyond...

Dave

Pocono 📻

For some time now, I have enjoyed listening to a station that comes on evenings and weekends at 88.3 on the FM dial. It comes in loud and clear at my location in the west end of Monroe County. Anyone else ever tune in to this one?

just curious...
Dave

Yes Dave I hear it as well in the lower end of Monroe County. And yes they play some very good music.

Fwiw, courtesy of Radio-Locator:
(Investigators may regard this not a 'suspect' but as 'a station of interest')

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WLKA&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

The infallible Radio-locator lists them as one of the K'Love congregation.

We'll be driving up see my kid sister and her brood. Nancy lives between Monticello NY and Liberty NY. Should be able to pick up the station on the way.

Wow, though .... if it *is* some pirate .... what's his point? Is the FCC legally permitted to confiscate his swell jazz collection in lieu of a fine?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom