• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas in Connecticut

Arby Tron said:
(Besides, I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming, especially since there are so few holiday songs that are worth listening to.)

Sorry Bernzee, but its not a weak excuse it is a powerful strategy that a station can use to build an image upon. It is a huge ratings home run and unlike weak air talent, this gets people to tune in.

I agree it is a powerful tool, or at least WAS. It's still a good tool if you have weak air talent and programming and need to generate a ratings spike to skewer the ARB's. If a station has to build its image on mindlessly playing nothing but Jessica Simpson and the Chipmunks for a month, their problems are more severe than using this powerful tool can cure. Besides, what do the do in January? Play all the hits for Ramadan?

bernzee said:
Arby Tron said:
(Besides, I would venture to say that filling 24/7 with holiday music is a weak excuse for programming, especially since there are so few holiday songs that are worth listening to.)

Sorry Bernzee, but its not a weak excuse it is a powerful strategy that a station can use to build an image upon. It is a huge ratings home run and unlike weak air talent, this gets people to tune in.

I agree it is a powerful tool, or at least WAS. It's still a good tool if you have weak air talent and programming and need to generate a ratings spike to skewer the ARB's. If a station has to build its image on mindlessly playing nothing but Jessica Simpson and the Chipmunks for a month, their problems are more severe than using this powerful tool can cure. Besides, what do the do in January? Play all the hits for Ramadan?
I'm on Bernzee's side on this. I'm being facetious on this (and maybe I'm not) but it's getting to the point where some stations are starting the Xmas music as early as Halloween ;). Starting Xmas music early used to be a unique, novelty thing that was used primarily as a "Stunting" tactic prior to a format flip. So much for that. What's next, start the Xmas music flip at Easter time? You want that? Go hang out at a retail store and listen over the loudspeakers to your heart's content. ::)

DJKraze said:
(Maybe I should have done an all Alice's Restaurant Massacree marathon for 24 hours and be able to claim to be the first one to play it this year?)

Now there's an idea for a new stunting format: All-Thanksgiving! Alice's Restaurant and Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving Song back-to-back all day! ;D

DToTheJ said:
DJKraze said:
(Maybe I should have done an all Alice's Restaurant Massacree marathon for 24 hours and be able to claim to be the first one to play it this year?)

Now there's an idea for a new stunting format: All-Thanksgiving! Alice's Restaurant and Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving Song back-to-back all day! ;D
Play it all forwards and backwards. ;D

I see that The River 105.9 didn't flip Christmas. I thought they used to flip Christmas. Surprised Clear Channel didn't flip it Christmas as doesnt CC mean Christmas Channel.

Ken said:
I see that The River 105.9 didn't flip Christmas. I thought they used to flip Christmas. Surprised Clear Channel didn't flip it Christmas as doesnt CC mean Christmas Channel.
I believe that last year the River just threw in a Christmas or two once every hour. Seems like a more reasonable way to go to me.

Most markets only have one Christmas station anyways. Only a couple markets have 2 stations playing all Christmas. I know Charlotte has both of their AC stations (K 104.7 and Lite 102.9) playing Christmas also in Kansas City Star 102.1 98.1 KUDL both AC stations and both playing Christmas music.

There's many 2 station Christmas markets here in New England Boston (WROR & WODS), Providence (WSNE & WWLI), Portsmouth (WQSO & WBYY), Portland (WHOM & WYNZ), and I'm pretty sure Springfield (WHYN & WMAS).

Philadelphis used to have WBEB and WSNI. Not sure what they have now that Sunny is no longer around.

New York only has one too just like Hartford and thats WLTW. I thought maybe Fresh or WCBS-FM might of flipped. Have they been throwing any Christmas music in between regular played songs?

Remember when the old WTYD in New London used to start all Christmas music on Christmas eve day, ran it all Christmas day and then flipped back to their regular programming around midnight? That was special.
So, if something is unique and special, then to bloat it to a whole month of all Christmas music must be extra extra (times 30) special. Wow, look at all those beans! There's hardly enough time to count them all.

I remember awhile ago some stations picked up the 36 hours of xmas format which started at 12 noon xmas eve and run to xmas night,I think Country 92.5 still carries that program, I've have'nt listen in a long time.btw star99.9 and 100.5 is in repeat city again.after tuning them in for the first week at work. the same short playlists, come on now there is 100's more songs that I have not heard yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom