• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Brother John

T

The Batman

Some interesting vignettes from Brother John (WABC-FM, KABC-FM, KRLA, KRTH). Often, I would listen to him on KRLA in Pasadena/LA while my dad was attending school.

His syndicated, "Heaven Is In Your Mind" aired on a local Dallas FM station. Reelradio.com has a rather ordinary aircheck of him from 1972 on KRLA.

Interesting life. From LA Radio People:

Rydgren, John: KRLA, 1972; KRTH, 1977-82; KRLA, 1985; KRTH, 1986-88. "Brother John" had a unique place in Southern California radio. Born in North Dakota, he grew up in Seattle. In 1958 John graduated with a divinity degree from Pacific Lutheran University in Washington and became an ordained Lutheran minister. John was one of the first people to use rock music in religious radio programs. He began his radio work in Minneapolis where he taped a Christian rock show called "Silhouettes" from a church basement. He was the voice of ABC's pro-album Love Format in 1968. In 1970, John left WABC/fm to produce religious and socially slanted radio/tv programs. He moved to L.A. in 1972 and eventually hosted a program called "Heaven Is in Your Mind." In 1982, John suffered a debilitating stroke while on the air, which left him with a form of dyslexia, forcing him to relearn reading and speaking from the third-grade level. With therapy he rejoined KRTH in 1986. John died December 26, 1988. He was 56.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/07/pastor_john_ryd.html

Some interesting vignettes from Brother John (WABC-FM, KABC-FM, KRLA, KRTH). Often, I would listen to him on KRLA in Pasadena/LA while my dad was attending school.

His syndicated, "Heaven Is In Your Mind" aired on a local Dallas FM station. Reelradio.com has a rather ordinary aircheck of him from 1972 on KRLA.

Interesting life. From LA Radio People:

Rydgren, John: KRLA, 1972; KRTH, 1977-82; KRLA, 1985; KRTH, 1986-88. "Brother John" had a unique place in Southern California radio. Born in North Dakota, he grew up in Seattle. In 1958 John graduated with a divinity degree from Pacific Lutheran University in Washington and became an ordained Lutheran minister. John was one of the first people to use rock music in religious radio programs. He began his radio work in Minneapolis where he taped a Christian rock show called "Silhouettes" from a church basement. He was the voice of ABC's pro-album Love Format in 1968. In 1970, John left WABC/fm to produce religious and socially slanted radio/tv programs. He moved to L.A. in 1972 and eventually hosted a program called "Heaven Is in Your Mind." In 1982, John suffered a debilitating stroke while on the air, which left him with a form of dyslexia, forcing him to relearn reading and speaking from the third-grade level. With therapy he rejoined KRTH in 1986. John died December 26, 1988. He was 56.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/07/pastor_john_ryd.html

Yes 'the Batman', so many of us miss Brother John Rydgren, they are speaking about him today on L.A. Radio as he's been gone for 30 years now. I had thought at one time he was the "Powerline" host. I worked with Brother John in Los Angeles at Smokin' Oldies but you knew that. We also miss you Tony L. Williams aka the Batman when you left us in 2015. I'm sure many Dallas/Fort Worth Radio people lost a good friend as well!

"God Bless Mommy, God Bless Daddy, and God Bless Batman" -as reported by Jerry Dunphy
- Batman Is Riled (1966) ... Newscaster

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom