Thread: 104.1 Advertising For A Webmaster & DJ

104.1 Advertising For A Webmaster & DJ

According to AllAccess.

So, evidentally & eventually, they'll have DJs'.

IMHO, I like the breakers & sweepers better.

A lot of stations in other parts of the country are now experimenting with a live AM drive show, w/breakers, sweepers & music the rest of the dayparts.

A brilliant strategy that radio companies can make $ with & listeners enjoy (it shows in the ratings), but, it takes away the human element & employment of Radio people - personalities, hosts, jocks, announcers.

This takes VoiceTracking to a whole new level.

Not just tracking a show (usually overnights) but a whole day.

Some stations stunt for awhile before they hire an air staff, & some only have live AM shows.

It's almost like an Ipod on your Radio.

What do you think?

Re: 104.1 Advertising For A Webmaster & DJ

I think it's horrible! If it's just like an I-Pod on your radio, people will just opt for an I-Pod. The human element is one of the things that makes radio great. Back in the day, you'd get to hear the different jocks and their styles, voices, and delivery and no two stations were alike even if their playlists were similar. Now, everything is so homogenized with voicetracking or being jockless. Not to mention that local jocks help to make the station local. Even on a music station I like to hear banter about what's going on around the listening area-- the issues of the day, traffic problems, what the weather's doing. That's where, IMHO, so many stations have gone astray. And, there's always the issue of what happens in a big emergency when it's nice to have a live person at the station to get vital information out to listeners.

SallysPizza

No station has ever won without personality, period. Some in the biz like to equate the Jack formats with an iPod; they're not. You can choose your own songs with an iPod you can't with Jack or Doug or whatever flavor of the jockless format you want. And like newsjunkie stated, you could go from market to merket and hear significant differences between, for example, a Top 40 station in Boston and a Top 40 in Cleveland. It used to be going to another city was great for a radio geek because you could scan around and listen to all the stations in town good and bad. Now it's like McDonald's; the Country station you have in Hartford pretty much sounds like the Country station in Chicago which sounds the same as the one in Atlanta, etc etc.

As far as voice-tracking - show me where a voicetracked daypart beats a live jock. Here's the problem-when you stick a jock behind a board and they are live, there is a different mind set, a different feel than when they go into the prod room to voice spots. When it comes time to voicetrack, guess where they do it- usually a production room,unless they're just laying down tracks and someone else is dumping them into the on-air system, either way the feel, the mind set has been changed form live on air to 'production mode' and therefore they sound different than when they're actually jocking.

As far as brilliant strategy, hardly. Radio listenership has been declining in recent years especially in the younger demos- futrure 18-34 & 25-54 targets. There are a lot of reasons for this but among them is the penchant for voicetracking and going jockless - it DOES take the human element out of it as well as the live aspect to it.

My apologies, i didn't intend to pontificate for quite this long....

Quote Originally Posted by SallysPizza
    No station has ever won without personality, period.
    Radio 104.5 WRFF in Philly. Nuff Said. They're ratings have been going up ever since they launched several months ago.
    Brammy

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mpbramhall82

My Retail Message Board: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php

My Writing Portfolio: https://www.Writing.Com/authors/slydogg

Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Richie Rich Sunday Nights 6PM-8PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford, La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston, and La Mega 95.1 (1400) in Lawrence.

KDRadio

oh come on you all know how this works, from the day a station flips they start 10,000 songs in a row. then they do there first personality

10,000 songs in a row is how Power 104.1 started in 2003, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by KML-224
    10,000 songs in a row is how Power 104.1 started in 2003, correct?
    Correct, I remember in between songs Power said while were playing commerical free hip hop the station (93.7) down the dial is playing commericals. (was said something like that) Also I remember both stations used the slogan "Hartford's #1 for Hip Hop and R&B" which Hot 93.7 used first with Power also saying that. Don't know how that happened.

And to add Power didn't even hurt Hot much buy playing 10,000 songs with the flip. Sure Hot went down some but not much.

SallysPizza

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB
    Quote Originally Posted by SallysPizza
    No station has ever won without personality, period.
    Radio 104.5 WRFF in Philly. Nuff Said. They're ratings have been going up ever since they launched several months ago.
    Apparently, your definition of 'won' is 7th 12+. My definition is number 1 'nuff said.' While the jump in the 12+ numbers from April to August (based on what is posted on All Access) is impressive 12+ numbers don't tell the whole story. I stand by my earlier statement - no station without personality has ever won. What usually happens is a spike in the ratings for several months and then those stations settle into the middle of the pack or near the bottom.