Where was 'Radio Waves'? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Where was 'Radio Waves'?

Re: Where was 'Radio Waves'?

Geeessshhhhh. Don't put the rude Mancow in the same discussion as Sherwood. That's like comparing Superbad with Othello.
    And Dr. Don Rose, a warm and wonderful a man in real life, was not much more than a streaming joke service. I still say Sherwood was a David Letterman for his time. But in fairness, the Sherwood who came out of retirement to try and prop-up a 70s version of "The World's Greatest Radio Station" was beyond his prime and never found his groove.

It's also really hard to judge an aircheck...I have about 20 of my own and most are uneventful...It seemed whenever you would get everything set up to roll one, you'd either try too hard or be so casual it just sounds kinda ho-hum. It's the body of work that needs to be judged and that is rarely captured in anyone's one aircheck...Those are just 1 day out of a 1,000, and I think if most guys had 100 days out of a 1,000 that they thought were memorable, they'd take it. You're right that the old days always seem better....But I just wonder if you still have an oldies station in 20 years, how many songs from the 1990-2007 years would really qualify or will "lounge acts" still be doing then? When the top concert act is +70 yrs old (Stones), you just have to laugh and shake your head..I'm sure they do.

I too enjoyed listening to John Gilliland in the 1970s and first heard many great comedians on his show. FYI, there is now a Wikipedia page on him at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gilliland. Since this is a wkipedia page, anyone can edit it, so if any of you know anything that should be mentioned there, please add it.

In particular, does anyone here know who the 2 unidentified people are in the "Pop Chronicles" photo at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Chronicles? (If you do, you could edit in the names there if you like.)

Quote Originally Posted by Production Boy
    I was also working with John the night he decided to play Carlins 7 words you can't say...No Kidding, there was a reporter from one of the east bay papers there. John had given the tape to Pat Hilliard, Terry's engineer, to edit
    in SFX where the F-Bombs were...John started the show, cued me for the tape and, and about three words into the bit
    we discovered on the ait that Pat had missed Mother-F*&#@. We just froze...the reporter was in hysterics...JG opened the Mic, and I had allready potted down...I think John said somthing like "Yes that is a word you can't say on the Radio. Nothing happened, I think I did write the worlds longest discrep, and when the show was over john and I went to the Tonga Room for a drink. I think I was about 23 at the time...It seemed like life and death at the time,
    now it's just a great funny story about a great radio station. I know I still have a copy of the article the reporter
    wrote...He noted that when it happened I shot straight up out of my seat like I had be hit with High Voltage.
    I too remember hearing an edited version of George Carlin's "7 words" but sure don't recall hearing "M--F*&#@." I guess someone must have cleaned up the tape again after they caught that one. Anyway, that's a great story Production Boy. Do you know who the people in the photo are?

Quote Originally Posted by Production Boy
    I was also working with John the night he decided to play Carlins 7 words you can't say...No Kidding, there was a reporter from one of the east bay papers there. ... John started the show, cued me for the tape and, and about three words into the bit we discovered on the ait that Pat had missed Mother-F*&#@. We just froze...the reporter was in hysterics. ... I know I still have a copy of the article the reporter wrote.
    Production Boy: I'm writing an article on Gilliland for the KUCI Website,for which I'd love to get a copy of that article. Do you remember which paper, what date (or even year), what page (or even section)? I ought to be able to get a copy from microfilm, and anything you remember might help me find it.

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by tripton99

And Dr. Don Rose, a warm and wonderful a man in real life, was not much more than a streaming joke service.
    This is like saying that the Tonight Show monologues are the same.

Dr. Don was unique in his voice, timing, inflection and the ability to make silly jokes funny and part of the flow of the station.

Were he just a joke reader, then anyone with a few bucks could get all the services and be #1 in Market #4.

Sherwood was good, but hardly exceptional. Dr. Don was one of a kind.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    Quote Originally Posted by tripton99

And Dr. Don Rose, a warm and wonderful a man in real life, was not much more than a streaming joke service.
    This is like saying that the Tonight Show monologues are the same.

Dr. Don was unique in his voice, timing, inflection and the ability to make silly jokes funny and part of the flow of the station.

Were he just a joke reader, then anyone with a few bucks could get all the services and be #1 in Market #4.

It's interesting that you would pull up this year old thread, David. I have learned a lot from your posts - but given your general obsession with ratings and demographics, and debunking the it' s nice to see that you can engage in some nostalgia.

Dr. Don is a big nostalgia subject for me - because I had just moved to the SF Bay Area in 1973, just a month or two before he joined KFRC. As now, I mostly listened to radio in the car - I commuted from Marin to the East Bay every day in those days in my 67 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible (a land yacht that got about 11 mpg) with an AM only radio. I loved KFRC, but I couldn't believe that they had suddenly replaced the hip and amusing Beau Weaver in morning drive with a guy named Dr. Don Rose. "Doctor?" Who was this incredibly corny mid-American white-bread guy brought in to spout un-hip but rapid fire non-controversial Borscht-belt style jokes in the HIPPEST CITY in the UNIVERSE? What was the Big 610 thinking when they hired this guy?

But within a day or two, I found myself totally engaged in "The Doctor's" schtick, and almost driving off the road from laughing hysterically.

He was one of the best radio personalities ever, in my opinion. On the surface, he was a totally non San Francisco personality. But obviously , he got major ratings for KFRC. I'm curious how Dr. Don fits into your view of radio as a business/

Love Production Boy's recollections on broadcasters we have all
    grown up to or heard of. Many of my personal heroes, thanks.

San Francisco has had several "Golden Eras" of Radio, it seems. A
    visit to any Broadcast Legends Luncheon
    (I don't get to as many of them as I'd like)
    reveals many magical eras for listeners --from our own West Coast
    Big Band networks, the shows and comedies through the decades
    leading up to Top 40, through the amazingly entertaining early days
    of KGO, KSFO from mid-50s through mid-60s, the evolutions of rock
    on KEWB, KYA, KFRC, the niche formats exposion, and on and on...

I was fortunate enough to work at RKO's stations when they had
    nothing but money. We always had new eqiupment and the very best
    technicians. The talent line-ups were uncommonly diverse and
    professional, both in San Francisco and it's sister stations in
    San Diego and L.A. What a fabulous group of stations and people!

What jocks: Sebastion Stone (Ed Phillips), Royce Johnson, Mike
    Philllips, Jim Carson, Bob Foster, Joe Conrad, Bobby Dale, Charlie
    Van Dyke, Howard Clark, Ed Mitchell, Glen Adams, Eric Chase, Sally
    Adams, K.O. Baily, Chuck Browning, Jane Dornacker, Shana, The Slim
    One, Jack Armstrong, Mark McKay, Dave Sholin, Sue Hall, and all
    the others I just haven't space nor you the patience to continue.

One snapshot, though, this thread inspired; one of the many faces:
    I, too, remember Dr Don Rose well.

I was at KFRC when they brought him through the door. Like
    LKeller, I was skeptical at first but quickly won over.

He had a face that could only have been shaped by years and years
    of being wrapped around a head crammed full of funny thoughts.
    Seeing him mulling around the station after a shift on some task,
    was to notice he was almost always in motion, limping forward on
    that cane, always doing something. His expression was constantly
    quizzical; there was never a dead spot in his eyes. One could
    almost see the contents of his skull whirring with activity,
    interest, one-liners, fun. Talk about a bigger than life guy. You
    couldnt help but have a bigger than like affinity for him.

Unseen, but just as much his strength as as his happy heart, was
    his wife, Kay. She was a total pro, even in there on contract
    negotiations, I believe. DJs and their mates seldom match as
    bountifully and complimentary as Don and Kay.
    . .

Sure, I'm listening forward to even better radio in the Bay Area as
    the Great Wheel continues to spin, corporate greed proves unfruitful, and
    real broadcasters get back in the game...
    What fun it has been, --Bobby Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    I agree. Listening to old Sherwood airchecks I was stunned to find that he wasn't nearly the clever DJ I remembered him being. In fact, he seemed to do a late night show in the mornings, very quiet, and sometimes rambling. Don Rose on the other hand, was always upbeat, and had an uncanny ability to take corny jokes and make people feel good, probably because of his sincerity. You just knew he was a good guy.

Part of the magic of Uncle Don Sherwood had to be that --in those
    days of his initial few years-- no one had heard that before.

Radio was much more a respected medium, thought to act in the
    public's interest. Aside from comedy shows, the San Francisco
    radio audience hadn't before heard any one personality act that
    ireverantly on the public airwaves. And, patting themselves on the back
    for being so open minded, listeners not only let Sherwood get away
    with it, they made him the City's darling.

We had our very own W. C. Fields, even dubbing him "Peck's Bad Boy"
    after the fictional newspaper character of some 60 yers hence.

He lived it, and died playing the part. Hard act to follow...

JEREMIAH

MY GOOD FRIEND, PRODUCTION BOY, DID A GREAT JOB RELIVING THE GENE AUTRY ..GOLDEN WEST BROADCASTERS ERA AT KSFO...I WANT TO PICK UP WHERE HE LEFT OFF.....

I REPLACED JOHN GILLILAND IN '78 WHEN HE LEFT. I'M ALSO A JG...PEOPLE DID NOTICE THAT. JOHN BABY SAT ME ON MY FIRST NIGHT, JUG OF WINE, INCLUDED.
    HE TOLD ME THAT WHEN HE WOKE UP THE MORNING AFTER HE RESIGNED HE SAID "OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE" BUT HE STUCK TO IT.
    I DID THAT SHOW WITH MINOR CHANGES FOR SIX YEARS AND WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO KEEP IT A STRONG NUMBER THREE IN THE MARKET IN THAT TIME SLOT. AUTRY SOLD IT IN LATE '83 AND WE WERE GONE. DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE THE INEPT MANAGEMENT SCREWED UP THE STATION TO THE POINT THAT MIDDAYS HAD A 1.2 SHARE. MY NIGHT NUMBERS WERE WHAT GAVE THE STATION TOTAL OVERALL DECENT NUMBERS. THE SALES MANAGER WAS QUOTED AS SAYING "WE OUGHT TO KISS JERRY GORDON'S ASS". THEY NEVER DID.

WHEN I GOT THERE, JIM LANGE WAS THE MORNING MAN PULLING A SIX SHARE. NOT BAD. WELL THE STUPID GM'S SON LIKED GENE NELSON, WHO WAS DOING PM DRIVE...SO THEY TOOK LANGE OFF AND GAVE NELSON MORNINGS. OF COURSE NELSON WAS LOBBYING FOR THE JOB. SOME FOLKS SAID HE KNIFED LANGE IN THE BACK. LANGE WAS A SWEETHEART OF A GUY BTW. HE WAS ALSO DOING "DATING GAME" DURING THIS TIME.

NELSON EVENTUALLY LEFT TO GO WITH KING B'CASTING DOWN ON BROADWAY.
    NEW BAD MANAGEMENT MADE THINGS EVEN WORSE THAN THE OLD BAD MANAGEMENT. THEY WERE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO **** WITH ME AT NIGHT, EVEN THOUGH THE NEW GM DIDN'T LIKE ME PERSONALLY. I NEVER KISSED ASS.

PRODUCTION BOY WAS MY ENGINEER MANY NIGHTS...WE HAD A BALL WORKING TOGETHER....HIS SENSE OF HUMOR IS KILLER. YEAH, WE HAD ENGINEERS, IT WAS A HEAVY UNION SCENE. HE IS STILL USING HIS GREAT TALENT AND WIT, DOING GREAT STUFF. I WON'T SAY WHERE, MANY OF YOU KNOW ALREADY. BUT IF HE WANTED IT PRINTED HERE HE WOULD HAVE DONE IT HIMSELF.

JUST THOUGHT I'D FILL IN A FEW HOLES IN THE KSFO STORY.

JERRY GORDON KNUU LAS VEGAS jerry.gordon@970knuu.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast