• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 1st Annual WYSL-FM "Teen Disk Jockey" on-line Reunion

As I was reading all the posts on this board ,as I need to do daily. My mind went back to 1966 and the
all of the fun and hi jinks on the eighteenth floor of the Statler. It was at that time and place that Jack Danahy got a certain Bob Allen ( now on the air in heaven) and a certain Ken Kiedrowski ( now hiding somewhere near Baltimore) to be the co-program directors of Buffalo's first FM rocker. How improbable was that and to make things more interesting the directive from Dallas and Gordon Mc Lendon himself was that the 103.3 frequency would be the home of teen djs......what was he thinking.

The brave experiment did not last that long.....but quite a few young guys and gals got in front of that mike in the FM studio and received their first dose of the broadcasting bug.

Now I can think of Jim Pastrick, Roger Christian and Kevin O'Connell who are still in the business in Buffalo who are genuine alunmi of WYSL-FM,,,,,,,,but are there more out there.........please make comments in this thread.........identify yourself.......what have you been up to .......do you have any interesting stories from 103.3 that I haven't heard or maybe forgotten about.

Do you remember Linda Lee West.......Arliss Barss.....Roger Baker......Warren Micheal Kelly....Fred Gage......
who worked in sales or in the offices...........

This could be fun.......

Thanks,

Ken K.

PS also Tim Kelly who went on to start the Primier Radio Network

Hey Jimmy (Pastrick),
Were you a teen jock at WYSL-FM, or were you still in New Jersey?

I remember Freddy Mann (Mancuso) from WYSL-FM as well.

Also, Little Johnny Sobota!

Jim Pastrick was for sure.

I was one of the tertiary guys (scheduled on Tuesdays... when the moon was full...on even-number days) once or twice a month. IIRC, the front-string players were guys like Kevin O'Connell, Steve Mitchell, Steve Stevens-Roger Christian, Gary Byrd and Tom Donahue-McCray, among others. We all had our Third Tickets with Broadcast Endorsement, but that wasn't a requirement because the AM jocks took the readings... every 30 minutes... Legal ID top and bottom or 15 and 45 (but only if had been done it 15 minutes earlier)... back in the day.

Weren't Dave Bacco, Paul Palo-Chris Clark, Joe Chille and Sal Panoessa also part of the crew? It was a once in a life-time opportunity. Imagine that happening today... a 50kW FM in the commercial band given over to 16-21 year old wannabe jocks.

Yeesh!

Shows you what FM was back then. As my former colleague Harv Moor would say, "back then, FM stood for Find Me!"

Yes Dave Bacco was........

Paul Palo was Chris Clark on the AM side and became the PD of 103.3 when it flipped to "Underground"

The other guys you mentioned probably were.......I still have contact info for the
teen djs from 1966 somewhere in the sub basement security vault. Sealed with purple wax.....oh sorry that was Reynold's thing........sorry

I also recall Charlie Dick.........Ruth Geisdorfer.......Sue O'Neil......Karen Kaptur

Jim Moran was the Chief Engineer......does anyone know if Jim is still with us?

Jack Danahy

There's a name I haven't heard of in a long time. He was in a mangement position for WYSL or McLendon Corporate?

I am assuming this is the same Jack Danahy who, if memory serves, was the last host of the short lived late night WYSL-AM talk show "The Talk of Buffalo"(which competed at the same time with John Otto over on WGR)? My recollection of him was he was doing a sort of Joe Pyne style abrasive talk host act. Though is was 40 years ago(yikes), I remember one a night a woman telling him she felt sorry for his wife having to live with him. He hosted only a couple months and by the end of summer '67, the show was no more and WYSL was all music, all the time.

Prior to Danahy, the show was also hosted(according to my rather fuzzy recollections) by early evening DJ Charlie Brown and before that(I think) someone who's first name was Peter. I think PD Larry Vance also was one of the rotating hosts in the show's brief run. The show was fairly risque(by 1967 standards) to the more staid John Otto program. I was only 13 at the time and enjoyed it a lot, so you can tell the type of audience they were going after.

Ah yes..WYSL-FM was something again. I craved to be on that station, and went to interview with a PD (who's name escapes me, but is was something like Larry Vance, or Paul something..) anyway he called me into the FM studio that wasn't being used because it was daytime and my Mom had dropped me off at the Statler Hilton to go and "talk with the managers" while she and my Aunt Bertie went to Biers to shop. They were simulcasting the AM I think.

The studio was a Gates four channel mono Studioette or Producer or something..there were two real old Gates "gear shift" 16" turntables, and the mic was an old, OLLLD RCA 44BX that still had a "WBEN" mic flag on it (presumable because 'BEN had once occupied the floor) Nicer than WNIA though..they had ONE ATC/Collins cart machine! The station was in mono..I know this because my Dad's Packard Bell console stereo's ((stereo)) light didn't come on when I listened in Lewiston.

The records were all laid out in stacks, and were the AM's toss outs after they used them and had them all nice and "cue burned" He asked me if I had ever been in a real radio station before, and if I "had a pencil"..I admitted that I had been in KB on a short tour to meet Dan Nevereth (sp?) and that I had visited WBLK, and WUFO on occasion, but mostly got to hang out at WHLD watching Chris Cage and Sal Paonessa work the afternoon/evening shift in the summer...and no, I didn't bring a pencil.

HE FLIPPED out! slammed the studio desk, screamed at me and asked me if I was a "spy" and that I would never work there or anywhere else in Buffalo..and told me to leave immediately! I started to cry..seriously! I got myself together and met my Mom with red eyes..I honestly don't remember who he was but he darn near turned me into a shell of a human being. Jeezamama that scared the crap out of me. But that little studio sure was cool, and I wanted to meet Ruth Guysdorfer bad!

Jeff Laurence said:
HE FLIPPED out! slammed the studio desk, screamed at me and asked me if I was a "spy" and that I would never work there or anywhere else in Buffalo..and told me to leave immediately! I started to cry..seriously! I got myself together and met my Mom with red eyes..I honestly don't remember who he was but he darn near turned me into a shell of a human being. Jeezamama that scared the crap out of me. But that little studio sure was cool, and I wanted to meet Ruth Guysdorfer bad!

LOL! Espionage at such a young age! Larry Vance sounded like one very paranoid dude. Wonder what it was that tipped him off? Could it have been your trenchcoat or perhaps the fedora, Bogey-like, pulled down over your left eye? Sounds like an episode straight out of Mad Magazine's "Spy vs. Spy."

I was about to ask the regulars just what this Teen DJ thing was all about, having read previous threads about it here and noting the people who were invoved in it.

How did jocks get on the air? What kind of application process existed? Were there auditions? I'd like to hear if others experienced the same harrowing craziness that you endured. Sounds like Vance thought he was running KHJ! There must have been hundreds of kids who wanted to be on the radio at the time.

The answers to some of these questions are beginning to unfold, but it would be good to hear more. Funny to read the recollections of guys like you, nationally known and respected, and other teen d-j's who described themselves as unknowns or third stringers who are still in the business and doing well.

-9-

In 1966 I was the co-program director of WYSL-FM along with Bob Allen who is no longer with us.

Here are a few thoughts on this thread so far:

1.) Jim Pastrick is the only Teen DJ who has responded so far. (Thanks Jim I enjoy listening to you on line.)

2. There was only one Jack Danahy at WYSL and he indeed hosted "The Talk of Buffalo". He was in management at WYSL and also did some on air work. Good old Jack was the guy who hired me. He was my freshman English teacher back in 1962.

3.) The Whistle Fm studio back in 1966 was on the 18th floor of the Statler. It used to be the reception office when the station was a beautiful music station ( Candlelight and Gold, Carousel, etc.)
The equipment was not the best and the station did not broadcast in stereo. I believe that in 66 the only
FM stereo station in Buffalo was WADV ( God Bless you Dan and Nancy Lesniak)
WYSL FM was the poor step child of the AM side of the operation. We did get all the AM records after they were done with them. Being 18 at the time and being lucky to have the job, I did not feel that I was in the position to argue with Vance or others about what we had to work with. I just knew that we had a fantastic 50kw verta power signal to work with and we probably had more listeners in Toronto than in Buffalo.

4.Yes there were auditions.....Bob Allen and I interviewed and selected the jocks....at first there was no pay for the privilege of being on the air there( yes that is not a typo....Gordon was cheap) but very quickly the teen djs got paid minimum wage..........More later.....

5. Larry Vance was a major piece of work......I belive that his real name was Fred Stoddard......
I recall him being a major egomaniac.........I remember one afternoon when he was on the air......he was clearing his throat in a really disgusting manner and turned to me before the record ended and asked me if I thought he could beat......"this Nevereth guy in the ratings".......I smiled to him and said ......sure Larry sure and turned and laughed to myself as I walked out of the studio.........by the way if by some chance Danny is reading this......I really miss you on the air.......I am glad that you took the time to be on my cable show.

Thanks everyonefor reading and contributing to this thread...........Ken Kiedrowski

I just came up from the underground bunker at my secret location on Wizard Island with a copy of the
WYSL staff list (circa 1967) here it is for your dining and dancing pleasure:

Bob Luther......General Manager

Roger BAker......Nat Sales Manager

Warren Mike Kelly...Sales Manager

Jim Moran....Chief Engineer

Jim McLaughlin.....News Director......(before KB and BEN)

Fred Gage...Sales ( post Flaps Rickenbacker)

Larry Levite...Sales ( before he purchased BEN......if only he stilled owned it)

Gloria Podleiszek Bookeeper

Virginia Quigley Reception

Paul Krol.....News Cruiser Driver ( George Hamgerber once held this esteemed position)

Khan L.Hamon PD

Agnes Oberstaedt Traffic

John Szczepanik.....( can you say Jack Kelly or Sean Grabowski......)

Bob Oberstaedt Announcer

Jack Mindy Announcer

Paul Palo ( Chris Clark)

Tim Kelly.......

Sam Arrigo

Alan (James) Giancaterino.......

Ken Kiedrowski...Weekend AM announcer allnight.......I did this gig and had a shift on WBNY-FM 96.1 (pre JYE)

Kevin O'Connell .....FM Announcer

Charles Gambacurga ........News

Fred Stock......News....

Well that is the list.....while down in the bunker I also found a ton of Instant Request Lists......a promotional folder declaring that WYSL is the nation's pioneer all request station!!!!!!!!!!!........ and many memos from many program directors which I never read

We will be back with the first of a million in a row after this...

Ken Kiedrowski

That's YOU Ken? didn't you also appear on WPHD?..man I would listen to you, and wonder how you came up with that last name..one of the few to use your totally real name..The story about Larry Vance sounds about right. Sounds like he wan't really the one I should have been speaking to in the first place..sounds like he just saw an oppourtunity to terorize someone and did. I was all of 15 I think..not quite of age to get a real paying job, and I thought it would be fun. I did work with Allan James when he did a short stint at WHLD in 1969..Nice guy..We would talk about WYSL a lot, and apparently Mr Vance had a real "bug" about Danny. I would really like to see some of those old memos Ken..can you scan any of em? If you need to upload them..do it here, and i can share the link:

www.spotshuttle.com/upload.html

Maybe you have some old WYSL-FM pictures..Jim Pastrick..c'mon and shed more light on this.

Wasn't WYSL off the air until the teen DJ's came on at like 6pm or so..? I seem to remember hearing nothing but white noise until they signed on at 103.3 or was AM simulcasting then?

Yes Jeff it is me.........you have an amazing memory........I did use Kiedrowski playing "Underground" music
on 103.3.......used the name Ken Harris on WBNY-FM (96.1) WHLD and WADV 106.5. and Dave Ryan at WWOL (1120 and 104.1)........I would keep file cards in front of me at various stations to remind me which station I was on and what my air name was......

I worked with Alan James....another Teen Dj at WHLD.......I followed Bob Wells there after he left his mid day slot..........I lost track of Alan.....do you know where he is.....does anyone....??

They called him "Lovable Larry Vance".....but not when the mike was off.

Here is a true Vance story....he was doing his AM show and turned on the FM monitor in the studio to hear what we were doing on FM.....he heard that we were playing a hit that AM didnot have.....he marched down that long hallway on the 18th floor of the Statler.....opened the FM studio door and without saying a word.....he took the tonearm off the turntable and grabed the 45 and went back to his quest to beat Danny.

There was a time when the FM antenna got fried by a direct lighting hit....transmitter too.
When it got back on the air I believe that we were on from 6-midnight for a while, but when were really doing our thing we broke away from AM 7-7......at 7pm FM went to Dick the Wild Child Kemp............

Dick Kemp was amazing...........I have a story about him for another day......

I got a tour of WYSL when it was in the house on Franklin Street. When did it move there? At that time they were calling the FM Y-103.

As for the "radio spy" post, I never could figure out why anyone would think there were spies at radio stations. After all can't you figure out what a station is doing by LISTENING to it? A definite case of taking the playing of records on the radio a little too seriously!

I don't recall it being called Y-103....but it moved to Franklin Street following McLendon selling the stations.

Jeff Laurence said:
Maybe you have some old WYSL-FM pictures..Jim Pastrick..c'mon and shed more light on this. Wasn't WYSL off the air until the teen DJ's came on at like 6pm or so..? I seem to remember hearing nothing but white noise until they signed on at 103.3 or was AM simulcasting then?

Well Jeff, your account of Larry Vance would have made me throw down some organic skid marks in my shorts if I was in your shoes.

My recollection is the Teen DJ's did their shows at all hours of the day, mostly 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. The WYSL-FM antenna on top of the Larkin Warehouse, as Ken noted, got blasted by lightening and was off the air for months before returning with a more disciplined approach and Kevin O'Connell doing a regular shift.

I was not paid for being a TDJ. As I noted, I wasn't a first line TDJ, just some third stringer who got a call a few times a month, most likely when there was a hole to be filled.

When WYSL-FM went Progressive, I recall WYSL-FM simulcast WYSL-AM from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. at which time the paid, progressive jocks worked the "underground format" from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

---

Ken Kiedrowski's accounts of this particular venture and events on the Buffalo radio time line make for interesting reading here. Regarding Larry Vance, I had a brush with him at a WYSL remote when they used to bring out a unit that featured a Gates consolette and built in turntables and mic.

Larry was doing his act, appearing to be very distant and not connecting with the gawkers and geeks who came out to see a "real, live dee-jay" do his show. During a commercial break, I reached over the velvet ropes that divided the d-j from the great unwashed, stretched out my arm and said (use your best Simpsons pimple-pocked Quickie-Mart counter boy voice on this) "Hi Mr. Vance, I'm Jim..." He cut me off mid-sentence and said, "Yeah..." then turned his back and found something better to occupy his precious time.

My immediate reaction? "This guy's a jerk!"

Is it any wonder the dude got his bell wrung by Dan Neaverth on KB? When I was a 17 year old high school kid doing a one hour Sunday night Junior Achievement Show (which was recorded on Thursday evenings) with Tom McCray (now Professor of Communications at Buffalo State College) and Bob Sikorski (attorney and now President of Niagara Frontier Radio Reading Service) I would arrive early and weasel my way to the air-lock between the control room and air studio and watch Neaverth work afternoon drive. If Jeff Kaye didn't "catch me" back there and run my ass to the lobby, Dan would occasionally invite me into the K-Big studio at 1430 Main Street and watch him do that magical PM drive show.

Who needed Larry Vance when you could actually watch and sometimes talk to a class act like Dan Neaverth on 50 thousand Watt KB!

I guess you have to be a 45+ radio geek to fully appreciate the near mystic experience that this was for a 17 year old kid. This is why many of us have a magical bond with the medium. Long before the Madison Avenue money men discovered the communications business as a horse on which to place a bet, there was this thing called "radio."

But I have another wacky WYSL-FM story. This one involves Bob Allen, God rest his soul. It's not as good as Jeff's, but it may reflect the craziness that went on at WYSL AM & FM in those days.

I'd applied to be a Teen DJ, wrote a letter and by sheer luck, got a phone call to "come down and audition" one weekday evening at the station's 18th floor studios in what was then the grand Statler on Delaware Avenue.

My parents drove me to Buffalo and waited in the well-appointed lobby of the Statler while I (being the travel-savvy 15 or 16 year old that I was) took the elevator to the 18th floor solo. By the way, that particular elevator went only to the 14th floor, which required hopping another elevator up to the 18th.

It was about 8 p.m. I had no idea what to expect when I finally made it to the 18th floor and meandered down the long halls to a suite of offices and studios marked at the entrance by a wall placard which read "WYSL AM & FM, The McLendon Stations in Buffalo."

Before the main entrance, there was a glassed-in radio studio, as Jeff and Ken described it in their posts. I stood at the glass door looking at some guy with horned-rim glasses and red-brown hair. He waved me in. I opened the door and before I can introduce myself, he says, "You here for an audition?" It was Bob Allen.

"Yes, my name is..." He has a clipboard and a sheet of paper in his hand. "Jim Patrick?" he says. "Good radio name."

"It's Pass-trick," I respectfully correct him.

"Patrick, Pastrick... same thing."

I'm sensing a disconnect and already the interview is off to an unsteady beginning.

"Well, here's a commercial to read, take a look at it for a couple of minutes and I'll record you." He hands me a 60 second radio commercial on official WYSL AM & FM Mclendon copy paper. It's the first time I've ever seen copy paper, with the left side indented column and the numbers adjacent to each line of words. Sixteen lines, Times New Roman font, all letters capitalized = 60 seconds.

I'm captivated by the look of the freakin' COPY paper and I haven't even read one line!

"You ready?"

"Uhh, can I have a few minutes more?"

"Give you a minute..."

"OK, you ready? Put on these (Clevite-Brush) headphones and talk into the microphone from about five inches away. Go."

I read the copy flawlessly for about ten seconds, adrenalin coursing through my veins, my voice in the stratosphere and creeping upward. Then, I stumbled over a weird concoction of words that I didn't understand and throw in a line from "Get Smart" to try to save my ass, "Would you believe..." and re-read the bungled phrase. I read another ten seconds and Bob breaks the take.

"OK, that'll do."

"Done?" I ask myself. "My audition is DONE?" I read maybe 20 to 30 seconds. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. The Maxwell Smart line saved my ass, but it didn't make the mistake go away. I blew it.

Bob says, "That wasn't bad, I think we might be able to use you."

Whoo-hoo!

"We'll call you, OK?"

A dose of reality hits. "We'll call you." Ever heard those words in your storied careers? It means, "You didn't get the gig because there's somebody better than you who DID!"

"OK," I say and begin to walk out. Bob says, "hey, you wanna see the station?" Well hell yeah, I do. So he takes me on the tour of the joint. Dick Kemp is smokin' (literally and figuratively) on the AM. He acknowledges me and tells me to forget about getting into the business.

We tour the production studio and Bob says, "Hey, watch this." He picks up calls on the WYSL-AM request line in the production studio and starts ripping on the callers. I smile nervously, wondering just what the hell is going on. This guy's wacked. He answers the phone, "KB, wuddayouwant?" Then he tells the caller, "Nah, we don't play that, you're gonna have to call WYSL for that song."

"I have to catch a bus home," I tell him.

"OK, we'll call you if we need you. Thanks for comin' down."

I left and walked down the long hall to the elevators, wondering just what the hell had happened in the last twenty minutes.

---

BTW, the station was known as Y-103 for a while when it was CHR after dumping the WPHD call letters and switching to WYSL-FM when Bob Howard owned the stations.

Jim....

Loved your Bob Allan story and the way you told it ....I could see it happening in my mind's eye....I am
sure that it happened exactly that way......

Bob had actually met Gordon McLendon so he always would let me know that when it came to our"co-pd"
duties....he was more equal than I was.

I think Bob lived in Attica...but I believe he slept in the DJs lounge on many occassions.
As much as I loved what I was doing and was bitten by the radio bug.....Bob had the radio infection to the tenth power......He came up with promotions such as "Absolutely Nothing"....where listeners would write in to
win ABSOLUTELY NOTHING..........

There was a brief period of time when the folks on AM had no clue what Bob and I were doing on FM......it was a blast while it lasted.......It was great to start in radio at "the top" and work myself down from there.

Dick the "Wild Child" Kemp was to me one of the best jocks ever at WYSL-AM.
He always loved to be a phillosopher while the records were spinning and he had an audience in the studio.

On more than one occassion after I got off the air at 7pm and "pulled the plug" so that AM would be simulcasted on FM......... Dick would want to tell me why I should not be serious about getting in the business..........It would always go something like this:

"Kenny...you dont want this business.......look what it has done to me.....look at the other jocks here......its not a good life.......all the jocks have some sort of a problem....its either money, booze, women, drugs or something else......if one problem doesn't get you.....another one will."

As you can imagine.....Dick never got a job with the Columbia School of Broadcasting.

BTW......Jim...forgive my memory......I forgot that you were in CAPJAC.....Captial Cities Junior Achievement....I was a jock for that JA company at KB.....while you were busy smoozing with Danny...I stayed later and talked with Joey....I even interviewed him for my high school newspaper......I recall ....during the interview.....asking Joey this thoughts on Peter Paul and Mary.....he commented......Yeah...didnt they do the original cast recording from the Bible....!!!!!!!!!

Jim....besides you me and Bob Sikorski......Kevin O'Connell was also there at CapJac.......speaking of spying
Do you remember Norm Schrutt.......who at the time was a salesman at KB.....well as I recall he was an advisor of CapJac.........he found out that I had "ties" to WYSL at the same time that I was in CapJac
........so being the great understanding gentleman that he was.......he told me that it was too easy for me to spy on KB........so he Kicked me out of Junior Achievement radio........

More later

Ken Kiedrowski

Another name from the Teen DJ years - or perhaps a little later - is Cal Brady. A few years ago, I ran across a post of his in the old rec.radio.broadcasting Usenet board asking out of curiosity if anyone remembered him from WYSL-FM. I replied that I remembered him well, in particular his "stream-of-consciousness" patter in between the underground tunes.

He indicated that he owned a restaurant in Burbank, CA (that was a few years ago, tho'....don't know if it's still the case.)

My hat's off to all of the young radio bucks who had the cojones to go on the air at WYSL-FM. I was 14 or 15 in the Teen DJ era, and although I was already hopelessly infected by the radio bug, the thought of actually being ON the radio terrified me! No doubt, if I'd had an encounter of the Bob Allen kind as described by Mr. Pastrick above, I'd have been discouraged for life.

Fortunately, I was able to stick my toe in the water a few years later in the non-threatening land of carrier-current at WSCB, with maybe a listener or 2 in Hi-Rise or the Towers.

Nick Seneca

Mike Sheridan said:
I got a tour of WYSL when it was in the house on Franklin Street. When did it move there?

CE Jim Moran hired me in the summer of 1970 to help him and Bob Schwab remodel 425 Franklin Street and relocate WYSL studios there. Glenn Callison was McLendon's DOE, and McLendon still owned the stations when they moved from Statler to Franklin St.

George Molnar

George,

Thanks for correcting me on the move to Franklin Street.

By any chance did you go to Hutch Tech?

Ken Kiedrowski

I was a big fan of WYSL and WPHD starting around 1969, listening from Toronto. It was quite a novelty to hear rock music on the FM band back then (we had CHUM-FM). I remember listening to WYSL-AM (on 103.3) in the day then it would switch to progressive rock at night.

A few questions:

- What did the WPHD call-letters stand for if any?

- WPHD switched back to the WYSL calls in 1974, only to switch back to WPHD in 1977. What was the story behind that?

- Some of the WPHD jocks I remember include Harv Moore, Robert W. Taylor, Jim Scott, J.P. (John Piccolo), Brian J. Walker, Rick Arnay and Larry Norton. What other names can the folks here remember.

- Why did WPHD become WUFX (The Fox) in 1989?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom