The 1st Annual WYSL-FM "Teen Disk Jockey" on-line Reunion
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1st Annual WYSL-FM "Teen Disk Jockey" on-line Reunion

The 1st Annual WYSL-FM "Teen Disk Jockey" on-line Reunion

As I was reading all the posts on this board ,as I need to do daily. My mind went back to 1966 and the
    all of the fun and hi jinks on the eighteenth floor of the Statler. It was at that time and place that Jack Danahy got a certain Bob Allen ( now on the air in heaven) and a certain Ken Kiedrowski ( now hiding somewhere near Baltimore) to be the co-program directors of Buffalo's first FM rocker. How improbable was that and to make things more interesting the directive from Dallas and Gordon Mc Lendon himself was that the 103.3 frequency would be the home of teen djs......what was he thinking.

The brave experiment did not last that long.....but quite a few young guys and gals got in front of that mike in the FM studio and received their first dose of the broadcasting bug.

Now I can think of Jim Pastrick, Roger Christian and Kevin O'Connell who are still in the business in Buffalo who are genuine alunmi of WYSL-FM,,,,,,,,but are there more out there.........please make comments in this thread.........identify yourself.......what have you been up to .......do you have any interesting stories from 103.3 that I haven't heard or maybe forgotten about.

Do you remember Linda Lee West.......Arliss Barss.....Roger Baker......Warren Micheal Kelly....Fred Gage......
    who worked in sales or in the offices...........

This could be fun.......

Thanks,

Ken K.

PS also Tim Kelly who went on to start the Primier Radio Network
    Media Boy is a former dj and pd......who taught college level radio production.......and hosted two cable tv talk shows........He is working on a secret plan to bring Johnny Carson back from the dead.

P.S. Bill Drake was a fraud........... Terrestrial radio rules.....

alw

Re: The 1st Annual WYSL-FM "Teen Disk Jockey" on-line Reunion

Hey Jimmy (Pastrick),
    Were you a teen jock at WYSL-FM, or were you still in New Jersey?

I remember Freddy Mann (Mancuso) from WYSL-FM as well.

Also, Little Johnny Sobota!

Jim Pastrick was for sure.
    Media Boy is a former dj and pd......who taught college level radio production.......and hosted two cable tv talk shows........He is working on a secret plan to bring Johnny Carson back from the dead.

I was one of the tertiary guys (scheduled on Tuesdays... when the moon was full...on even-number days) once or twice a month. IIRC, the front-string players were guys like Kevin O'Connell, Steve Mitchell, Steve Stevens-Roger Christian, Gary Byrd and Tom Donahue-McCray, among others. We all had our Third Tickets with Broadcast Endorsement, but that wasn't a requirement because the AM jocks took the readings... every 30 minutes... Legal ID top and bottom or 15 and 45 (but only if had been done it 15 minutes earlier)... back in the day.

Weren't Dave Bacco, Paul Palo-Chris Clark, Joe Chille and Sal Panoessa also part of the crew? It was a once in a life-time opportunity. Imagine that happening today... a 50kW FM in the commercial band given over to 16-21 year old wannabe jocks.

Yeesh!

Shows you what FM was back then. As my former colleague Harv Moor would say, "back then, FM stood for Find Me!"
    Opinions and posts subsequent to and/or referring to this post may be incorrect and do not necessarily represent the opinion of this writer. Not responsible for statements made by other posters.

Yes Dave Bacco was........

Paul Palo was Chris Clark on the AM side and became the PD of 103.3 when it flipped to "Underground"

The other guys you mentioned probably were.......I still have contact info for the
    teen djs from 1966 somewhere in the sub basement security vault. Sealed with purple wax.....oh sorry that was Reynold's thing........sorry

I also recall Charlie Dick.........Ruth Geisdorfer.......Sue O'Neil......Karen Kaptur

Jim Moran was the Chief Engineer......does anyone know if Jim is still with us?

Jack Danahy
    There's a name I haven't heard of in a long time. He was in a mangement position for WYSL or McLendon Corporate?

I am assuming this is the same Jack Danahy who, if memory serves, was the last host of the short lived late night WYSL-AM talk show "The Talk of Buffalo"(which competed at the same time with John Otto over on WGR)? My recollection of him was he was doing a sort of Joe Pyne style abrasive talk host act. Though is was 40 years ago(yikes), I remember one a night a woman telling him she felt sorry for his wife having to live with him. He hosted only a couple months and by the end of summer '67, the show was no more and WYSL was all music, all the time.

Prior to Danahy, the show was also hosted(according to my rather fuzzy recollections) by early evening DJ Charlie Brown and before that(I think) someone who's first name was Peter. I think PD Larry Vance also was one of the rotating hosts in the show's brief run. The show was fairly risque(by 1967 standards) to the more staid John Otto program. I was only 13 at the time and enjoyed it a lot, so you can tell the type of audience they were going after.
    What's wrong with radio is what's wrong with everything else

Ah yes..WYSL-FM was something again. I craved to be on that station, and went to interview with a PD (who's name escapes me, but is was something like Larry Vance, or Paul something..) anyway he called me into the FM studio that wasn't being used because it was daytime and my Mom had dropped me off at the Statler Hilton to go and "talk with the managers" while she and my Aunt Bertie went to Biers to shop. They were simulcasting the AM I think.

The studio was a Gates four channel mono Studioette or Producer or something..there were two real old Gates "gear shift" 16" turntables, and the mic was an old, OLLLD RCA 44BX that still had a "WBEN" mic flag on it (presumable because 'BEN had once occupied the floor) Nicer than WNIA though..they had ONE ATC/Collins cart machine! The station was in mono..I know this because my Dad's Packard Bell console stereo's ((stereo)) light didn't come on when I listened in Lewiston.

The records were all laid out in stacks, and were the AM's toss outs after they used them and had them all nice and "cue burned" He asked me if I had ever been in a real radio station before, and if I "had a pencil"..I admitted that I had been in KB on a short tour to meet Dan Nevereth (sp?) and that I had visited WBLK, and WUFO on occasion, but mostly got to hang out at WHLD watching Chris Cage and Sal Paonessa work the afternoon/evening shift in the summer...and no, I didn't bring a pencil.

HE FLIPPED out! slammed the studio desk, screamed at me and asked me if I was a "spy" and that I would never work there or anywhere else in Buffalo..and told me to leave immediately! I started to cry..seriously! I got myself together and met my Mom with red eyes..I honestly don't remember who he was but he darn near turned me into a shell of a human being. Jeezamama that scared the crap out of me. But that little studio sure was cool, and I wanted to meet Ruth Guysdorfer bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Laurence
    HE FLIPPED out! slammed the studio desk, screamed at me and asked me if I was a "spy" and that I would never work there or anywhere else in Buffalo..and told me to leave immediately! I started to cry..seriously! I got myself together and met my Mom with red eyes..I honestly don't remember who he was but he darn near turned me into a shell of a human being. Jeezamama that scared the crap out of me. But that little studio sure was cool, and I wanted to meet Ruth Guysdorfer bad!
    LOL! Espionage at such a young age! Larry Vance sounded like one very paranoid dude. Wonder what it was that tipped him off? Could it have been your trenchcoat or perhaps the fedora, Bogey-like, pulled down over your left eye? Sounds like an episode straight out of Mad Magazine's "Spy vs. Spy."

I was about to ask the regulars just what this Teen DJ thing was all about, having read previous threads about it here and noting the people who were invoved in it.

How did jocks get on the air? What kind of application process existed? Were there auditions? I'd like to hear if others experienced the same harrowing craziness that you endured. Sounds like Vance thought he was running KHJ! There must have been hundreds of kids who wanted to be on the radio at the time.

The answers to some of these questions are beginning to unfold, but it would be good to hear more. Funny to read the recollections of guys like you, nationally known and respected, and other teen d-j's who described themselves as unknowns or third stringers who are still in the business and doing well.

-9-

In 1966 I was the co-program director of WYSL-FM along with Bob Allen who is no longer with us.

Here are a few thoughts on this thread so far:

1.) Jim Pastrick is the only Teen DJ who has responded so far. (Thanks Jim I enjoy listening to you on line.)

2. There was only one Jack Danahy at WYSL and he indeed hosted "The Talk of Buffalo". He was in management at WYSL and also did some on air work. Good old Jack was the guy who hired me. He was my freshman English teacher back in 1962.

3.) The Whistle Fm studio back in 1966 was on the 18th floor of the Statler. It used to be the reception office when the station was a beautiful music station ( Candlelight and Gold, Carousel, etc.)
    The equipment was not the best and the station did not broadcast in stereo. I believe that in 66 the only
    FM stereo station in Buffalo was WADV ( God Bless you Dan and Nancy Lesniak)
    WYSL FM was the poor step child of the AM side of the operation. We did get all the AM records after they were done with them. Being 18 at the time and being lucky to have the job, I did not feel that I was in the position to argue with Vance or others about what we had to work with. I just knew that we had a fantastic 50kw verta power signal to work with and we probably had more listeners in Toronto than in Buffalo.

4.Yes there were auditions.....Bob Allen and I interviewed and selected the jocks....at first there was no pay for the privilege of being on the air there( yes that is not a typo....Gordon was cheap) but very quickly the teen djs got paid minimum wage..........More later.....

5. Larry Vance was a major piece of work......I belive that his real name was Fred Stoddard......
    I recall him being a major egomaniac.........I remember one afternoon when he was on the air......he was clearing his throat in a really disgusting manner and turned to me before the record ended and asked me if I thought he could beat......"this Nevereth guy in the ratings".......I smiled to him and said ......sure Larry sure and turned and laughed to myself as I walked out of the studio.........by the way if by some chance Danny is reading this......I really miss you on the air.......I am glad that you took the time to be on my cable show.

Thanks everyonefor reading and contributing to this thread...........Ken Kiedrowski

I just came up from the underground bunker at my secret location on Wizard Island with a copy of the
    WYSL staff list (circa 1967) here it is for your dining and dancing pleasure:

Bob Luther......General Manager

Roger BAker......Nat Sales Manager

Warren Mike Kelly...Sales Manager

Jim Moran....Chief Engineer

Jim McLaughlin.....News Director......(before KB and BEN)

Fred Gage...Sales ( post Flaps Rickenbacker)

Larry Levite...Sales ( before he purchased BEN......if only he stilled owned it)

Gloria Podleiszek Bookeeper

Virginia Quigley Reception

Paul Krol.....News Cruiser Driver ( George Hamgerber once held this esteemed position)

Khan L.Hamon PD

Agnes Oberstaedt Traffic

John Szczepanik.....( can you say Jack Kelly or Sean Grabowski......)

Bob Oberstaedt Announcer

Jack Mindy Announcer

Paul Palo ( Chris Clark)

Tim Kelly.......

Sam Arrigo

Alan (James) Giancaterino.......

Ken Kiedrowski...Weekend AM announcer allnight.......I did this gig and had a shift on WBNY-FM 96.1 (pre JYE)

Kevin O'Connell .....FM Announcer

Charles Gambacurga ........News

Fred Stock......News....

Well that is the list.....while down in the bunker I also found a ton of Instant Request Lists......a promotional folder declaring that WYSL is the nation's pioneer all request station!!!!!!!!!!!........ and many memos from many program directors which I never read

We will be back with the first of a million in a row after this...

Ken Kiedrowski

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast