STATION PICKS WCKZ GASTONIA/CHARLOTTE - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STATION PICKS WCKZ GASTONIA/CHARLOTTE

Re: STATION PICKS WCKZ GASTONIA/CHARLOTTE

He was on Pro FM in Providence, RI for a long while and I heard that they loved him. Mike always creeped everyone out.

Hello!
    Although I only worked weekends at KISS 102, and was not even there long enough to find the vending machines, some great people did pass throught the building. Boo Baron, JJ McKay, Dennis Reese, Helen Little, Ray Mariner, The Unknown DJ, Rex, and Mean Jammin' Gene, who was, and i guess still is, one of the nicest folks. He was a community involved jock who always knew what was going on in town. Great guy.

Mark S. hired me thanks to Erik suggestiong that! Lisa T. fired me. She said I sounded too A/C. As i listen back to my airchecks, she could have just told the truth, and that is i stunk!

The Unknown DJ let me come back after Lisa was gone and I worked on the last day or death day for the station.

They sure caught a lot of atention when they signed on, but died a slow and somewhat painful death. Even so, I am glad i got to work there.

Question: Didn't Jerry Clifton consult Kiss 102 at one point?

Also, does anyone remember in the fall of 89 when Kiss had spiked into the playlist a handful of Rock-oriented tracks? I remember both Skid Row's "18 And Life" and Bon Jovi's "Living In Sin" were both played on Kiss and this wasn't on "Casey's Top 40" either. FWIW-Kiss 102 was the Charlotte affiliate for CT40.

Robyn

Hey Robyn I remember that very well... It was right when BCY switched to AC... At the same time Kiss started adding some rock tracks to the list the very same time WROQ started adding rhythmic tracks to their play list such as Janet Jackson "Miss You Much" and Technotronic "Pump Up The Jam"... Of course we all knew what would happen as Gorilla radio was born which was true CHR and thus Kiss quickly took out of rotation Skid Row, Billy Joel, etc etc... As for kiss dying a slow death you knew it was running on life support when they started doing old school weekends and such... Something else to note at the same time Kiss was killing its self 95QQ was also in the winds of change and you knew it was not gonna be long before it was gone as well... I remember first actually hearing about what Power 98's owners were planning to do with Kiss on January 9th one week before 95.1 The Edge was born... What also was ironic about Kisses last day was that it was the same day it was born just five years later... Things that make you go hmmmmmm CC1

Of all the longtime jocks mentioned regarding Kiss 102, lest we forget....Droopy.....

A fellow Western Carolina graduate....Droopy has managed to do something that many of us in the old RTV program have (probably) failed at doing.....

Keeping a job on a consistent basis.....

He's now, I believe, at WSOC-FM 103.....please correct me if I'm wrong.

Muffin

Another jock that wasn't mentioned yet was Hollywood (did nights in late 1990 to early 1991). I've had a aircheck of him on Kiss the night of the beginning of Gulf War 1 when he was doing an interview with a Playboy model while running updates from ABC News. It was sent to Thatwasradio.com and should be on the site someday.

After Kiss, Hollywood went to KHYI/Dallas, where he became JoJo Wright. Here is an aircheck of him there, courtesy of mp3airchecks.com:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...942FAD648838B3

Robyn

Holy Cow I forgot all about Hollywood... Another jock was Apollo who came over from Power 98 then he would go on to Double Q. I also remember their traffic girl who would become a jock on Kiss... I can't remember her name, but towards the end it was just like anybody would get put on the air... CC1

Quote Originally Posted by newsguync
    Of all the longtime jocks mentioned regarding Kiss 102, lest we forget....Droopy.....

A fellow Western Carolina graduate....Droopy has managed to do something that many of us in the old RTV program have (probably) failed at doing.....

Keeping a job on a consistent basis.....

He's now, I believe, at WSOC-FM 103.....please correct me if I'm wrong.

Muffin
    Hey..your right..I missed Drew. I went to WCU too,but failed as you mentioned.

I'm going to do something I rarely do....correct myself.

I think "failed" was a poor choice of wording. A lot of WCU graduates that I know personally do not have jobs in the majors they have obtained.

The "failure" is not ours....we just haven't found the perfect radio station....or in my case, newspaper.

I still work part-time for HRN's Lincolnton stations, WLON and WCSL. I'm blessed to have that.

Muffin

Wow it's cool to remember KISS 102! I was really blessed to PD there from '89 to '91, then they handed it over to EZ Communications and moved us over to the MIX building. That killed the station and I got out fast! The talent at KISS was incredible! Most of those people have already been mentioned above, but don't forget Paige Nienaber who did the promotions, he was really great! The GM, David Chandler also played a big part in making it a great station from the startup til EZ Communications took it over. Radio stations come and go, but I'll never forget the great radio talent that once made it a magical place, for real!

Mark In The Dark Shands

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast