• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Last Song Suggestions for a sign off

Goodnight My Love - Jesse Belvin or DeBarge, depending on which one is most convenient.

I know, you said it's late morning, but still...

While on the air in high school in the 70's I used Already Gone by The Eagles.

A quick story of an accidentally fitting last song. I engineered a daytimer AM back in the 80's and I volunteered to pull the Christmas Day shift. With nothing special done for the show I called it the station's "Christmas Card" and intro'd each hour as such. Right before sign off with time for one last song I cued up a Carpenter's Christmas track on the CD player. I said my spiel, wished the audience good night and started the CD player. The beginning line of the song? "Christmas cards have all been sent." The song was Merry Christmas, Darling.

It never occurred to me while cueing up the track and pulling the last of my transmitter readings for the night just how the song began. It sort of perked up my spirits at the end of a very long day.

"I'll Follow The Sun," The Beatles or Paul McCartney's solo version

There's always the classic "That's All" by thee Midnighters that the late Huggy Boy use to play on 1110 KRLA Pasadena at the end of his show there daily and the final song when it flipped to a talk format. But if in doubt "Take this Job and shove it" by Johnny Paycheck.

The National Anthem is traditionally a TV sign off, but some radio stations also play it as a sign on first shift of the day. But you also brought up an interesting thought: Does anyone even sign off anymore?

Alan Lee (not Lee Allen) always played "Thank You And Goodnight", by The Angels.

Pittsburgh's Doug Hoerth used to use "I'm Going But I'll Be Back" by Buster Brown and
"Hello, I Must Be Going" by Groucho Marx.

"Hell Awaits" Slayer

Pepper-Tanner "Country & Western" library, #4400, "Station Sign-Off":
"It's time to pull, the shade on another day,
as a happy, ending nears.
May the good Lord, bless, and keep you,
till tomo - rrow's sun, appears."

If I had a show, and I want to finish it, I would use Semisonic's "Closing Time" (a little overused, though, by stations ending their old formats), Boyz II Men's "End of The Road", or NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye".

The one departure I got to make was not original but one I heard years before when AM 570, now KLIF, in an earlier time had been a top 40 WFAA. With a change of format at Midnight, the jock simply said "Sometime, someplace, somewhere, we shall meet again on the radio". For me, I said the same and played Happy Trails "Happy trails to you until we meet again".

In the 70s, WCAS in Cambridge had a string of rotating sign-offs including Fred Astaire and Submarine. How about playing the late great Jack Lalanne singing "It's Time To Leave You?"

I'm thinking Turn Out The Lights, The Party's Over" by Willie Nelson or Good Night Sweetheart, Good Night by The Spanials...

After the final good byes. The National Anthem .I was looking for that when 1220 WQUN signed off a few weeks ago and it did not happen.

If it hasn't been mentioned already......
The Angels "Thank You and Goodnight".....
Kinda "doo-wop", but it "gets the job done"!!:)

The former owner of a local oldies station, which was standards most of the years he owned it, ends his morning show with "May Each Day" by Andy Williams.

He used to use "Mr. Lucky" by Henry Mancini, which didn't seem to make sense but I liked it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom