Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record FCC fine -- $42M to Univision

chuckydoll

Record FCC fine -- $42M to Univision

The #1 US Spanish TV network said it was meeting the feds' requirements for kids' programming. A church group said Univision was not -- and the feds agreed. Since Univision is up for sale the company forked over the money.

Surprisingly most anglo media have buried or sloughed off this story. Fortunately for us trade publication Variety has an account.

Re: Record FCC fine -- $42M to Univision

well well well The FCC stepping over its boundaries again? I'm not surprised. Why can't the FCC go back to allocating frequencies and stop telling what broadcasters can't put on the air, and what they have to put on the air. PBS does a quite decent job of Educational and Children's programming and I think that is pretty much all that is needed. No one else does it better so why force other OTA stations to try?

$42M or $24M: BIG MONEY FINE!

$24m or $42m....that's a LOT of moolah. Especially for a fine.

Yes, PBS does an awesome job for childrens' and educational programming, but it's a stipulation in the license for 3 hours of this programming per week. They failed to do so; they pay the price. Literally.

Can we compare this fine (number, not reason) to anything Howard did to rack the bucks up with the FCC?

It may seem kind of silly to some to have to run kidvids, but just like some of the other almost laughably simple regs, isn't it worth complying by just burying three hours somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by KJCB
    It may seem kind of silly to some to have to run kidvids, but just like some of the other almost laughably simple regs, isn't it worth complying by just burying three hours somewhere?
    Even [email protected] and ACN comply with this regulation (in most markets, this takes the form of moldy reruns of New Zoo Revue and some other ancient public TV show that I can't pin a name to). Surely Univision can get their hands on some old, cheap E/I programming from Mexico or elsewhere in the Spanish-speaking world and stick it on early on Sunday mornings.

they aught to run that old "show de xuxa", now thats childrens programming I can get behind.

Really, how difficult is it to provide 3 hours of E/I programming out of a 168-hour broadcast week? Even a lot of non-Class A LPTV stations that are exempt from that requirement still manage to air more E/I programming. Shame on Punyvision!
    Dave

facebook.com/david.hettesheimer

Didn't one of the Spanish channels use to air dubbed versions of english cartoons? I'm thinking it might be Telemundo though.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day...<br /><br />Courage couldn&#039;t have come at a worse time...<br /><br />If there is one thing in this world that makes grown adults act like immature buffoons it is the discussion of politics

Quote Originally Posted by genius
    Didn't one of the Spanish channels use to air dubbed versions of english cartoons? I'm thinking it might be Telemundo though.
    Yes it was, and they still do, as they are partners of "qubo", NBC and ION's E/I initiative.

I recall Telefutura also showing Spanish dubs of English-language toons, and in the early-1990s, Univision did the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast