• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WARW-FM Renamed 94.7 "The Globe"

radiodx

Inactive
Inactive User
February 2, 2007 Press Release

CBS RADIO LAUNCHES ITS FIRST “GREEN” FOCUSED RADIO STATION

WARW-FM Renamed 94.7 "The Globe" With On-Air Imaging Featuring Environmentally

Friendly Messaging And Call To Action Ideas

Station Nearly Doubles Its Rock Music Playlist To Include More World Class Rock Music From The Past Two Decades

CBS RADIO today announced the launch of 94.7 The Globe, its first "green" focused radio station. The Washington D.C. station will operate using renewable energy to power its 50,000 watt signal. This move will contribute to lowering the threat of global warming through the purchase of energy resources generated by wind. Additionally, station vehicles will be replaced with hybrid models, and 94.7 The Globe will further its "green" focus by taking a number of steps on and off-air to consistently promote ways for listeners to live an eco-friendly lifestyle.

In a related announcement, the station earlier today renamed itself 94.7 The Globe reflecting its new pro-environment principles and “World Class Rock” format. WARW will continue to be a rock-based format, however, it will increase its playlist incorporating more artists from the late 90s and today including Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers, among others.

A new website has also been created for The Globe featuring station news and environmental resources. Listeners can log on to www.947theglobe.com for more information and to listen to the online stream. Following The Globe’s premiere week of World Class Rock music, air talent members Weasel, Schelby, Cerphe and Mark Stevens will re-emerge into daily programming.

“Everyone at the station, from our on-air talent to the many employees who work behind the scenes, has embraced this environmentally responsible concept and we look forward to incorporating green aspects into every facet of our operation,” said Michael Hughes, Senior Vice President, CBS RADIO Washington, and General Manager of WARW. “It’s not often you can perfectly align great music with a message so central to your audience’s beliefs. Rock and ‘green’ is just such a winning combination, and now, more than ever, is the right time to evolve the station to ensure a successful run well into the future.”

“We have long stood on the principle of giving back to our communities and we’ve done so in amazing ways over the years,” said Scott Herman, Executive Vice President, CBS RADIO. “We hope this move serves to influence and motivate our listeners, vendors, and advertisers, as well as act as a building block for other stations within our Company.”

Highlights of the station’s green initiative include:

Using renewable energy to supply power to the station’s 50,000 watt signal and using hybrid station vehicles;

In-studio artists will perform in The Globe’s Custom Greenhouse outfitted with low voltage lighting and recycled flooring;

Annual Earth Day concert event;

Station will create promotional campaigns around socially-conscious events such as Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Coachella;

Station appearances will be branded “Go Green With The Globe” and provide listeners with information on environmental leadership and energy conservation; WARW will also host events encouraging recycling, tree planting and use of green products.

marko83 said:
Here's to CBS for trying something different. Now let the bashing begin.

;D

Amen!

Listen it IS different, appealing to the listener's sense of urgency about the enviornment is shrewd and smart. Honestly lisening to the stream it's really pretty entertaining so far!. Heavier than a sleepy AAA and offering the PSA's about how to save the world is really smart and interesting. Then again if you just want to hear Zepplin you're probably going to find it annoying but they have built in smarter audience if they get the word out. They can hit up Honda or any other aker of hybrid cars for a huge buy, whole foods, trader Joe's, Starbucks, they really could cash in on the upscale demo and the advertisers that want them!.

Smart, smart, programming, it's interetsing for a change, no?

marko83 said:
If there were any republicans left in DC they would hate it. ;D My kind of station.

YOU, are an angry, angry, MAN!

;)

LOl

Just a wild guess - was the first song Big Audio Dynamite's "The Globe"?

And with this emphasis on "green", I'm anticipating what they've got in store for St. Patrick's Day!

Is today April 1? This is a joke, right? The new format really starts Monday?

So far I like it. Seems like a fairly deep playlist. It definitely is heavier than our local AAA in Portland, ME. Was the change made to appeal to all of the Democrats returning to town? The timing of the change is too suspicious. Also of note is the report on global climate change was released today.

CBS has found a way to make money off of a global disaster. Maybe they should launch as station called "Rapture 106.7" for the God warriors too.

Jay F said:
It's ideas like this that are the reason CBS has so many ratings challenged clusters across the country.
Are you kidding? This is the strongest ideat to come out of CBS in a very long time. I predict success.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "success", but maybe other stations will do similar things in large markets.

And BTW, WARW is not the first station to "go green". KRDX 98.5 in Tucson is powered entirely by solar power...on a cloudy day their batteries deplete around 12 midnight, and the station often shuts off.

Radio-X

automationasphyxiation said:
Jay F said:
It's ideas like this that are the reason CBS has so many ratings challenged clusters across the country.
Are you kidding? This is the strongest ideat to come out of CBS in a very long time. I predict success.

The music mix is great; a bit more mainstream than WRNR and not unlike Sirius 18, though those stations also include current AAA music in the mix. Personally, I don't like being preached to about the environment, but I can see where this whole concept could appeal to trendy, upscale suburban DC'ers who work for the government or its contractors but still like to rock. It could bring in a lot of bucks from upscale retailers, too. And, yes, it's a bold, intelligent, out of the box, move. That's worthy of a tip of the hat.

RobynWattsV2.0 said:
Is this the first time that Triple A has been tried in DC (not counting WRNR due to their weak signal)?

Robyn

In the 1980s/early 90s the old WHFS was considered by many to be AAA even if they classified themselves as an alternative. I was surprised when latter in the 90s WHFS joined the grunge bandwagon.

Green 94.7 would have been a better name. "The Globe" sounds like something a brokered ethnic station would use.

Absolute joke. Ruined a great station with great personalities. I hope they burn in their "GLOBE"-aly warming hell.

TowerBound said:
Absolute joke. Ruined a great station with great personalities. I hope they burn in their "GLOBE"-aly warming hell.
WARW had horrible numbers and needed to do something. They had to do something.
What would you have done?

WRNR is still the better AAA in Maryland. It doesnt make it into Washington, DC or Baltimore due to the tower being about 40 miles away. Still, 94.7 The Globe is the best thing to happen to DC radio in years. Most of DC radio is just horrible stations that play about 20 different songs over and over again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom