Recent FCC Filings: KETX/KSET/KBRZ/KRCM

Thread: Recent FCC Filings: KETX/KSET/KBRZ/KRCM

Mike O

Recent FCC Filings: KETX/KSET/KBRZ/KRCM

I didn't make these up, this is from the actual Applications.

KSET 1300 Silsbee (Lumberton): Application has Silsbee as COL. Requests STA for Suspension of Operations on 01/22/2007. Reason: "The station has experienced flooding and personnel problems, making it preferable to take the station temporarily off the air." The station went silent on 01/11/2007 again. Accepted for filing by FCC.

KETX 1440 Livingston: Extension of STA to remain silent, justification: "As reported previously, the licensee has been experiencing transmitter problems (consisting of a burnt out tube socket), which was preventing the station from continuing operations. That tube socket was replaced, but the transmitter again failed due to another tube socket subsequently burning out. Once again, due to the difficulty in obtaining parts, it is anticipated that the station will still be off the air for at least another three months." FCC Dismissed the request on 01/16/2007 for a station that has been off the air since 05/07/2006.

I used to drive 59 to Lufkin once a week for years and only once found KETX on the air. I prefered the station off the air since KCOH has a good signal in Livingston, but KETX slopped over 1430 too much and killed listening to them the time they were on the air. CW would know, but I imagine KCOH at 5kW and KETX are short spaced to each other at maybe 90 miles separation and KCOH's pattern.

KBRZ 1460 KBRZ, TX, that is how it is on the Applications and how The FCC has the station listed. Has already sent an amendment to the first Application a week ago. Proposes drop from 8kW to .8kW daytime and antenna site 4745 Ransom Road, KBRZ, TX, which is just north of US59 and west of TX99 or Grand Pkwy. KBRZ is actually proposing Missouri City as The Community of License, but wants 800 watts daytime non-directional from Ransom Rd and give up Class B status and drop power to 125 watts nights from Freeport. A "map" that shows a curve past the Missouri City limits and it is the 5mV/m contour at 800 watts. They have gone to great lengths to demostrate they will reduce prohibited overlap with KIKR 1450 and 1460 WXOK Baton Rouge. Two sections showing that KLVL 1480 does not cover Missouri City with a 5mV/m signal as the KLVL Application proposed. Meter readings and the obligatory graphs. The Application states no change in "nigh" time, but then requests 125 watts and Class D. FCC has Accepted for filing, likely to file straight in the trash now. If KBRZ, TX is of any size most of us have been through there on 59 at some time.

KRCM 1380 Beaumont who wants to leave the Triangle for the bright lights of Shenandoah, TX. Filed an Application to move antenna to Trails End Rd and Clark Lane east of Tamina, TX. I haven't found Tamina, TX on a map yet, even the official state map or the street guide I have of Texas, but I'll buy this over KRCM, TX. This station has gone from 600 watts daytime only to 450/65 watts south of Conroe to 250/69 watts non-directional as now requested from somewhere east of I45 and Shenandoah. Guess the night power is for those DAMN bird watchers in the pre dawn hours, not sure who else it will serve on a frequency with 15.92 mV/m NIF. BMT may not be paradise, but it is a nice area and Houston has already taken every FM, do we need the AM stations too, especially at proposed powers that mainly cause interference, but serve few? The City Grade signal, with some minor changes to the south, only covers 8.8km, that's just over five miles. WHY BOTHER?

I don't know which Application to nominate as the most [EDIT] bunch of [EDIT] sent to The FCC from SE Texas. {I hope the moderator appreciates that I am editting my own posts to save them time for more pressing matters.} No wonder nothing gets done at The FCC, they are too busy laughing their asses off.

Mike O shaking head in [EDIT] disbelief

Re: Recent FCC Filings: KETX/KSET/KBRZ/KRCM

Who said the FCC web site didn't have funny reading material? :

Two things about these applications - KSET was supposed to move their transmitter to near Lumberton, which would give them coverage into Beaumont.

http://www.recnet.com/cdbs/goo_am.ph...type=loc&rec=3

As far as KRCM goes, they simulcast with KOLE, and they really need to keep the Beaumont transmitter for decent coverage in the Triangle. This will diminish KOLE's listeners, but maybe that is their intent. Not really much of a future for AM radio, anyway.

I have a DeLorme atlas of TX showing Tamina due east of Shenandoah, about a mile east of I-45, along a railroad track.

Seems like I remember a Tamina Rd. exit on I-45.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/TT/hrt3.html
    http://houstonradiohistory.blogspot.com/ - The Houston Radio History blog

Here is the location mentioned for the transmitter. It should cover the area north of Houston fairly well (The Woodlands, Conroe, Spring).

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=tx&zipcode=

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O
    KETX 1440 Livingston: Extension of STA to remain silent (snip) the licensee has been experiencing transmitter problems (consisting of a burnt out tube socket), (snip)That tube socket was replaced, but the transmitter again failed due to another tube socket subsequently burning out. Once again, due to the difficulty in obtaining parts, it is anticipated that the station will still be off the air for at least another three months."
    This is ridiculous. If you don't have the $$$ to buy a modern transmitter, or at least obtain a decent used one, you shouldn't own a radio station. KETX has a history of shabby technical operations--remember how bad their FM sounded for years?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+
    KETX 1440 Livingston: Extension of STA to remain silent (snip) the licensee has been experiencing transmitter problems (consisting of a burnt out tube socket), (snip)That tube socket was replaced, but the transmitter again failed due to another tube socket subsequently burning out. Once again, due to the difficulty in obtaining parts, it is anticipated that the station will still be off the air for at least another three months."
    This is ridiculous. If you don't have the $$$ to buy a modern transmitter, or at least obtain a decent used one, you shouldn't own a radio station. KETX has a history of shabby technical operations--remember how bad their FM sounded for years?
    If they are silent for more then one year, then they will lose their station license as a matter of law.
    That said, it looks like they need to get back on the air by 5-06-07.

Interesting and timely news regarding KETX.

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....c,61923.0.html

CW

Quote Originally Posted by gabigley1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+
    NONE of KETX (AM, FM or TV) has sounded worth a FLIP for YEARS......the FM was mono and if they simulcast from one to another, there was HUM and garbled audio....If they would PAY a decent engineer, the AM could be back on in a week....or so...(Heck I bet I could take an old ham rig with AM there, tack on a linear of 2KW, tweak it and it would sound BETTER than anything they had!)

If they are silent for more then one year, then they will lose their station license as a matter of law.
    That said, it looks like they need to get back on the air by 5-06-07.