• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is WPEN using its new higher daytime power?

I just happened to be tuning through, and noticed WPEN was much stronger than I have seen it during the day. Anyone know if the new higher daytime power (21Kw, if I'm recalling correctly) is operational?

I'm in central Ocean County, New Jersey, and it's MUCH improved.

If this is true, then WPEN is finally running its CP for 25 kW from its West Philly daytime site, which was formerly 5 kW nondirectional. The 25 kW signal uses all 3 of the towers there to blanket Philadelphia and S. Jersey withthe equivalent of a 50 kW non directional signal.

Dave Gardiner
WVCH 740/WNWR 1540
Philadelphia

If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound?

If a station has no listeners, are they "using" higher power?

fred flintstone said:
If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound?

If a station has no listeners, are they "using" higher power?

Ah, "Fred!" Sometimes I love ya, sometimes I think you're out there...but you make a valid point. I did leave it on yesterday for a bit, and it seems as if they are trying to make a go of it with the sports talk. I wish them well; it's a station that, other than its "95PEN" and "Station of the Stars" incarnations, seems to have had a pox placed upon it throughout its history.

At least they have stayed with mostly syndicated sports talk longer than they did with Oldies.
But the Station of the Stars has become one of Philly radio's bottom-feeders.
The extra power is probably not worth the increase in their PECO bill.

Greater Media is down there fighting it out for the cellar with Salem.
What they have demonstrated that the basal AQH for Class A or B AMs is around half a share point. It may be impossible for them to get lower (although it is possible for Class Ds to become an asterisk).

They hired a PD from a CBS sports talk station in Detroit with good numbers hoping he could replicate the magic here. But wait, CBS already has a sports talk station in Philly. No magic currently available.

Should they have known better? Probably. There is not an all or mostly syndicated sports talk station in any large or major market that is has even fair-to-middlin' ratings. In Wilmington, another ex-standards station has completely fallen off the chart with syndicated sports talk.

But syndicated sports talk is cheap to do and apparently some advertisers will buy anything under the category of sports. About WPEN's only other option is to go all bowel cleanse all the time.

I don't think the pox was placed on them. I think Greater Media did it to themselves. We can let the shrinks figure out why the kiddies want to destroy daddy's company now that he's gone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom