Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycotting Clear Channel is too little, too late

Anyacat

Re: Boycotting Clear Channel is too little, too late

Look forward young man to the further consolidation of radio and fewer jobs, with a greater emphasis on making the investors rich. Clear Channel will grow rich and prosper, nothing I do or say can change that. But they can do so without my pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyacat
    Look forward young man to the further consolidation of radio and fewer jobs, with a greater emphasis on making the investors rich. Clear Channel will grow rich and prosper, nothing I do or say can change that. But they can do so without my pennies.
    Yes, like the investors that bought CC stock at $90
    [size=3][url=http://www.talkingradio.blogspot.com]www.talkingradio.blogspot.com[/url][/size]

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by barooosk
    Lots of stocks were higher than today... look at the NASDAQ at 40% of the pre-dotcom crash.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo
    Quote Originally Posted by barooosk
    Lots of stocks were higher than today... look at the NASDAQ at 40% of the pre-dotcom crash.
    I'm sure those who rode the stock down find that very consoling.

A Message to Stockholders

CC's answer to the investors that got in at the top of the market, and will be bought out when CC goes private:

"Hey, we treated you better than Enron..."
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

Re: A Message to Stockholders

Quote Originally Posted by SirRoxalot
    CC's answer to the investors that got in at the top of the market, and will be bought out when CC goes private:

"Hey, we treated you better than Enron..."
    Of course that is not true. CCU stock is, at present, trading at about the same percentage off its high as the entire NASDAQ composite, an index of approximately 3,000 companies (It never hit $90 a share... the peak was $85.49 in December of 1999).

The stock market is only partially driven by the performance of a company itself. CCU has provided earnings growth and sound value. The market has pretty much shunned all old media stocks, punishing the good with the bad, while things like XM and Sirius with no profits at all have soared (XM has recently been as low as $2.52 and as high as $42.75. Someone who bought exactly 2 years ago at $37 now has a stock that is worth $14.46... about the same decline as Clear.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

So, What You're Saying Is....

So, David, you're saying that the rise of mega-broadcasters has fared about as well as the dot-bomb explosion from the '90s. In other words, once the days of acquisition and expansion - with other peoples money - came to and end, CC (and others) really haven't been able to deliver the results in revenue that they promised with their strategy of clustering & cost cutting.

I see CC as an example of a failed experiment. It remains to be seen what the overall damage to radio as a whole will turn out to be.

I'm sure that there are others who disagree with my view. So be it.
    Did I forget that <<sarcasm>> tag again?

CCU stock is, at present, trading at about the same percentage off its high as the entire NASDAQ composite, an index of approximately 3,000 companies (It never hit $90 a share... the peak was $85.49 in December of 1999).
    But CCU trades on the NYSE, not NASDAQ. You mean it was a NASDAQ stock in 1999? (I assume since you compared it to the NASDAQ composite.) I didn't know that.

The stock market is only partially driven by the performance of a company itself. CCU has provided earnings growth and sound value. The market has pretty much shunned all old media stocks, punishing the good with the bad, while things like XM and Sirius with no profits at all have soared (XM has recently been as low as $2.52 and as high as $42.75.
    But of course. Investors value a stock based on its future profits, not its past. Right or wrong, investors think that satellites best days are ahead and terrestials are behind.

A good company in a bad sector is still bad.

NASDAQ symbols have four letters.
    NYSE symbols have 1-3 letters.

CCU was never on the NASDAQ, but it is possible that they used another ticker on the NASDAQ at one time. I have a record from 1996 saying that CCU was on the NYSE.

However, NASDAQ is one of the leading market indicators. If the NASDAQ index is down 3% in a given week, the other leading indicators will likely be down too.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by MickJ
    CCU stock is, at present, trading at about the same percentage off its high as the entire NASDAQ composite, an index of approximately 3,000 companies (It never hit $90 a share... the peak was $85.49 in December of 1999).
    But CCU trades on the NYSE, not NASDAQ. You mean it was a NASDAQ stock in 1999? (I assume since you compared it to the NASDAQ composite.) I didn't know that.
    I never said the CCU was traded ont he NASDAQ. I simply gave an example of how the composite of 3000 stocks on the NASDAQ was off in a very similar proportion to CCU (wherever it trades). In other words, judging companies entirely by the market is not a perfect metric. And, as an example, I metioned how XMSR has been up in the high 30's and is not around $14, and was down to the 3's very recently... the same busniess model all along, but a varying perception on the Street.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast