Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Say Goodbye to the AM Band

Re: Say Goodbye to the AM Band

Kenhawk, thanks for that clarification. I appreciate it.

As for you, David, you NEVER know enough to not make an excuse for something that goes against what you want people to know from your viewpoint as being "correct."

Inside Radio, if you had checked, lists the stations in question in San Luis Obispo separately: KLUN, KLMM, then for Mapleton - KXTZ and KXDZ ... simulcasts with different spotsets.

R&R just puts them on one line.

I thought Arbitron, in doing the Maximizer, listed the stations as they truly are, not as R&R does it. That's pretty damn misleading to do so. Further, my understanding is that you don't "manipulate" the numbers from Arbitron, EVER. In that case, the simulcast of KLUN & KLMM should be disallowed and placed where they should be, below the line. The same for Mapleton, if that's the case.

The "the trades add information" is bull. They list the raw 12+ in beauty contest order with a book run of one year to the next, including any Phases. It's not their job to make a station number one in the market when, in fact, it's not...far from it, but for those who only go to R&R, that's what they think. The same separate listings were posted, correctly, at All Access as well, where your Lazer buddies aren't number one by a long shot when you take it station by station. One of Mapleton's duo didn't even make the book.

But hey, you're the expert.

Get it?
    "Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

Moderator/Co-Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree
    As for you, David, you NEVER know enough to not make an excuse for something that goes against what you want people to know from your viewpoint as being "correct."
    You are now defending your right to not understand Arbitron and to brag about not knowing.

Inside Radio, if you had checked, lists the stations in question in San Luis Obispo separately: KLUN, KLMM, then for Mapleton - KXTZ and KXDZ ... simulcasts with different spotsets.
    This is because, as I said, single line reporting is optional to each simulcast... although to qualify, there must be a total, perfect simulcast. S

KLMM have not chosen to elect single line reporting for whatever reason. They have also neglected to send a Spring SIP to Aribitron, so we don't know their real intent. KXTZ and KXDZ can not be listed as "single line" because by the Arbitron standard, they are a network, not a simulcast.

Inside radio has, for a long time, chosen to list the way Arbitron lists.

R&R just puts them on one line.
    And R&R generally, except for Puerto Rico, combines simulcasts and quasi-simulcasts. Before single line reporting was introduced in Winter of 2006, they combined KRCD / KRCV in LA, for example, because they knew it to be a simulcast.

I thought Arbitron, in doing the Maximizer, listed the stations as they truly are, not as R&R does it.
    It depends. Arbitron lists 100% simulcasts that select single line reporting under one set of calls, whether in Maximiser, the eDiary, Arbitrends or whatever. Maximiser does not break out the individual stations of a simulcast that meets Arbitron's criteria. In other words, you find KRCD in LA carrying the KRCV numbers, KIIS carrying the KVVS numbers, KDLD carrying the KDLE numbers, KBUE carrying the KBUA and KEBN numbers, etc. In San Francisco, KSOL carries the KSQL numbers on one line; KVVF carries KVVZ and so on. Arbitron does not issue any data for the secondary or tertiary stations in a simulcast.

That's pretty damn misleading to do so. Further, my understanding is that you don't "manipulate" the numbers from Arbitron, EVER. In that case, the simulcast of KLUN & KLMM should be disallowed and placed where they should be, below the line. The same for Mapleton, if that's the case.
    Why is it misleading? Each trade magazine lists the data the way they see fit.

If both KLUN and KLMM are licensed in the metro, or have filed with Arbitron to switch their primary market (as KLYY in Riverside did... they are below the line in the Riverside book and home to the LA book by choice of the owner) then they are home to the SLO metro. Them's da rulz.

The "the trades add information" is bull. They list the raw 12+ in beauty contest order with a book run of one year to the next, including any Phases.
    Yes, but. Each trade ads a format description, often the owner, and many even have links to each staiton's website if there is one. None of that data comes from Arbitron, which is why I see my LA adult hits staiton listed as oldies still in one trade, and correctly in others. Arbitron gives calls and share (and rank # for those who can not count) and nothing else. The trades "decorate" the data with info that makes the data more relevant... they also in some cases add cluster share, notes on format changes, etc. None of this comes from Arbitron, either.

It's not their job to make a station number one in the market when, in fact, it's not...far from it, but for those who only go to R&R, that's what they think. The same separate listings were posted, correctly, at All Access as well, where your Lazer buddies aren't number one by a long shot when you take it station by station. One of Mapleton's duo didn't even make the book.
    I don't even know anyone at Lazer, so they are not my "buddies." If they are a simulcast, they should be doing single line reporting as they would be near the top of the pack... perhaps, like you, they did not know about single line reporting nor know how to notify about it. The fact is, still, that share is additive across stations in a simulcast or even a cluster and the Lazer combo is #1 in the market.

But hey, you're the expert.
    Yes, I am. That is why I have been asked to speak at RAB, NAB, CIRT, PRBA, etc. on this issue and related ones. In my last post, I tried to explain to you the nature of sigle line reporting, the optional nature of it, and the conditions required by Arbitron. If you prefer to continue with your version of reality on ratings matters, I guess it is your choice.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Single / Total line reporting.... the real facts

Here is a full, non-copyright, description of Total Line Reporting... which allows 100% simulcasts to appear as "one station" which enhances the ability of time buyers to see a multi-staiton combo as one entity by combineing the listening to each signal in one line in all Arbitron products.

From www.arbitron.com
    Total Line Reporting
    Effective Winter 2006 Survey

Arbitron is making an important change in the reporting of audience estimates for 100 percent simulcast radio stations effective with the Winter 2006 survey. This page provides background on the change and details of the planned implementation.

Questions? Read Simulcast Total Line Reporting FAQ.

Overview
    Arbitron has recognized that simulcasting has become a significant operational and marketing strategy for many radio broadcasting companies. Effective with the Winter 2006 survey, Arbitron will report 100 percent simulcast stations through a single estimate line in all applications and reports.

Arbitron’s new simulcast policy will:

Be available to stations that simulcast all content, including all commercials, 100 percent of the time stations are on the air.

Be able to accommodate partnerships of two or more radio stations in a simulcast.

Report the estimates for simulcast partnerships through a single estimate line in all Arbitron local market reporting services for simulcast partnerships that request single estimate line reporting.

Allow the partnership to select the station from among the simulcast partners under whose call letters the partnership’s combined listening will be reported.
    The individual estimates for radio stations that are a part of a simulcast partnership that elects Total Line Reporting will no longer be accessible through any of Arbitron’s applications and reports.

This new simulcast reporting policy will completely replace the current simulcast station policies. The revised policy provides consistency in the reporting of audience estimates for simulcast radio stations across all Arbitron local reporting services; it also eliminates the two-station limit on simulcast partnerships.

Simulcast partnerships will be identified on the "Station Information" page of the book, the "Special Notices" page of the book, and on a special resource page on the www.arbitron.com Web site that will have information on all simulcast radio stations.

The following details the planned implementation.

Station Information Collection

The current Station Information Form will be redesigned to remove the seven-day simulcast grid.

A new section will be added where the station can indicate that it simulcasts 100 percent all content, including commercials, with one or more stations for all 12 weeks of the survey period. There will be space to list the call letters of the other stations in the partnership. The station will designate one of the partner stations as the “primary” station (the station that will be reported in Arbitron’s local reporting services).

Upon completion of processing station information each survey, Arbitron will send a letter to an appropriate corporate contact for each combo that has indicated 100 percent simulcast status. This letter will ask for reconfirmation of the submitted simulcasting information and will provide a reminder that only the primary station will be reported in Arbitron’s local radio reporting services.
    Processing Listening Data for Simulcast Stations
    Diary entries will continue to be credited to individual radio stations during diary processing as we currently do. Credit for simulcast partner stations will be “flipped” or recredited to the primary station of the simulcast partnership prior to the processing of audience estimates.

Reporting Estimates for Simulcast Partnerships

Audience estimates for simulcast partnerships that meet Minimum Reporting Standards (MRS) will be reported under the call letters of the primary station of the partnership. The MRS will apply to the combined estimates. Stations must simulcast for all 12 weeks of a quarterly survey period to be reported through a single estimate line.

The secondary stations that are a part of a simulcast partnership will not be included in the lineup in any of Arbitron’s reporting services, and audience estimates for these individual radio stations will not be available in any application or report.

Simulcast stations will be flagged on the "Station Information" page of the Radio Market Report. Subscribers will be referred to the "Special Notices" page of the Radio Market Report for a listing of the stations that are included in each simulcast partnership that qualifies for the Radio Market Report. There will not be any special footnotes or flagging of simulcast partnerships on audience estimates pages or reports.

The simulcast resource page on the Arbitron Web site will list all simulcast stations, identify the primary station in a simulcast partnership, the primary station’s home Metro, and (if applicable) the primary station’s home DMA®.

Changes to simulcast status reported to Arbitron during the first month of a survey period will be reflected in ArbitrendsSM markets with the release of Phase 2 Arbitrends, effective with the Spring 2006 survey.
    Reporting Previous Survey Estimates for Simulcast Partnerships
    The historical information used for trend reports and multibook average estimates will always reflect the audience estimates originally published for the primary station of the partnership. This will occur regardless of whether the simulcast was in effect during the prior survey(s). Consequently, during transition periods, trends and multibook averages for simulcast stations may include surveys that were simulcast and surveys where the station was a stand-alone. When a simulcast partnership stops simulcasting and the stations return to independent broadcasting, the individual stations will not have any historical data associated with them for the surveys during which they were simulcast.

The Appendix to this document contains a simplified illustration of how trend reporting and multibook averaging would work with our new simulcast reporting process.

Or, use Total Line Reporting Averaging Worksheet (XLS file).

Verification of Simulcast Partnerships

Radio stations will need to sign a statement that they will be 100 percent simulcast, including commercials, throughout the report period and anticipate being 100 percent simulcast for the foreseeable future.

Radio stations will be able to notify Arbitron if a reported simulcast partnership, to the station’s knowledge, breaks simulcast during the survey period. In response, we would then request appropriate additional assurances from the purported simulcast partnership.
    This enhancement to Arbitron’s reporting process to better reflect listening to simulcast radio stations was reviewed with the Arbitron Radio Advisory Council at our recent (August) meeting and received the Council’s endorsement.

Arbitron recognizes that this new approach for reporting estimates for simulcast radio partnerships may not be suitable for all simulcast operations. Radio stations will have the option to continue to be reported independently. Stations that choose to be reported as stand-alone operations will not receive total line estimates in any Arbitron reporting application.

Please contact your Arbitron representative if you have questions or would like additional detail about simulcast reporting.

Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

David, thanks for taking the time to do this. I do appreciate it.

The fact is, wrong or right, there is a discrepency when this information is legally or not, put on the streets in different manners as described.

I deal with "transactional" businesses who are so fed up with "big city" AE's stopping by to "show the latest ratings" that are meaningless that some have resorted to reading their own translations of "the ratings" by going to R&R, Inside Radio & All Access because it's not illegal for them to see, just illegal for stations to publicize it.

And I see "some" agencies who don't buy the book checking "the trades" too ... and come up with the same conclusions.

The fact is, I don't want a station in my community, let alone my market, that doesn't perform as it's cracked up to be in simulcast listings and I've pointed out, credibly, two such examples.

For professionals trying to ignore or get around the situation for whatever they pay for the book, that's totally unfair and disengenuous.

Being "near" the top when one station with numbers is 50 miles removed from its simulcast station is not "near" at all, especially when it gets pummeled. If this community was listening to them, that would be fine, but they aren't, and the discrepencies clearly show that...because someone could get around the rules intentionally or not.
    "Naked Hobos -- only come here for the promise of FREE Chicken! CBS Cares." Craig Ferguson - "The Late Late Show" - CBS

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree
    David, thanks for taking the time to do this. I do appreciate it.
    In general, the Arbitron website has a lot of data, including the 12+ "topline" ratings. It is a little (lot?) hard to navigate, but worth exploring. You will also find a list of the hundreds of accepted simulcasts that have been registered. There is even a pair of AMs in the Santa Maria market.

The fact is, wrong or right, there is a discrepency when this information is legally or not, put on the streets in different manners as described.
    I see your point. In fact, some of the history on this comes from Puerto Rico, where we have a single market, but 126 radio stations, give or take, and where no FM and no AM covers the market fully (spound familiar?) So there are networks for 2,3,4 and even 5 stations which simulcast in a manner but also have some local stopsets. So they do not qualify for Arbitron single line reporting (the old term... it is really Total Line Reporting, somewhat confusing I find).

On the other hand, some trades know that the nes exist, and for programming, are 100% the same, and they add them. Others list all the stations individually. Most get all the formats wrong, too. And at least one major trade gets the owners of a dozen major stations wrong. Depending which one you read, you get a very different impression of the market.

I deal with "transactional" businesses who are so fed up with "big city" AE's stopping by to "show the latest ratings" that are meaningless that some have resorted to reading their own translations of "the ratings" by going to R&R, Inside Radio & All Access because it's not illegal for them to see, just illegal for stations to publicize it.
    I'm surprised to find that there are agencies that don't have access to the data themselves, or which would go by 12+ numbers. Would tese be rathar small shops, or ones that practically buy no radio? But I agree, the A/E with a ranker is no better than the one who says, "Hey, you wanna' buy some spots?" Unfortunately, stations with good rathings often don't hire good sellers as they think they don't need them. I always found that having market leading ratings was a real challenge: you become the rate leader who determines how much your collegues and competitors can charge, you run the huge risk of becomming arrougant and being hated for being so successful, and you live by the day unless you attach value and substance to the station and its programming and community ties and so on.

And I see "some" agencies who don't buy the book checking "the trades" too ... and come up with the same conclusions.
    And it is unfortunate that much of the data in the trades that the magazines add (like format descriptions) is not accurate. For example, one of Clear's Spanish language stations in Atlanta, in format for 6 months, is still listed as AOR.

The fact is, I don't want a station in my community, let alone my market, that doesn't perform as it's cracked up to be in simulcast listings and I've pointed out, credibly, two such examples.
    In this case, you are kind of out of luck. Arbitron would do total line reporting for any two or more stations that get numbers anywhere in a market as long as they are 100% simulcast. And there is no restriction on adding share across two stations or a cluster, as share is addable. I have, however, seen someone add cume, which is not addable as some is duplicated, in a cluster... so there is some either ignorance or chicanery going on in some cases. This can and should be reported to Arbitron as mis-use of data. It hurts the whole industry.

Being "near" the top when one station with numbers is 50 miles removed from its simulcast station is not "near" at all, especially when it gets pummeled. If this community was listening to them, that would be fine, but they aren't, and the discrepencies clearly show that...because someone could get around the rules intentionally or not.
    Catch 22. Are you reverring to the Spanish combo, or the other? They are combinable if they meet the conditions by Arbitron. Of course, Arbitron wants a one size fits all solution, or they expose themselves legally, and waste a lot of time as well having a "hearing" for each situation. As long as the book, for a single market area, contains listening for both stations, they can be combined. And the country is littered with markets where most of the stations do not cover the entire market... look at San Francisco. The market runs from above Santa Rosa to below Campbell, and includes sub-sets like San Jose, Santa Rosa, etc. Only a couple of AMs cover it day and night. Yet it is a single market... the wise advertiser has to ask for geographic breakouts to truly understand how to cover it not just in demos but in geography.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213