Thread: B 96 Changes

B 96 Changes

What does everyone think of the B 96 changes?

Brian Middleton gone from the station completely.

Roxanne to Middays

The Urban wannabes Stylez and Roman on Afternoons.

New night man Julian from DC

Personally I am a little surprised they let go Middleton like that. He has been with
    B 96 ever since the 1st Killer Bee era. I am not shocked however because he was treated the same way Tim "Spinnin'" Schommer was.

Stylez and Roman I hope bomb in the afternoons. Their show only appeals to the 12-18 crowd. Now they will have to have some broader appeal. Just think if Kiss did not ruin it with Tic Tak what would have been. Egg already on their face....

Hopefully this new talent Julian will be better to listen to at night then the wannabe street guys from the suburbs. Fake as can be. I hope he is as talented as Todd said in the Feder column. Hopefully they will rehaul the current night show and give Julian some creative control to do something more innovative than giving away thongs away.

Interesting tidbit how Candi never got promoted in any of this.... Hmmmm....

Good luck to Brian Middleton. Met him at a couple of remote broadcasts. He even took the time to sign a cup for me and chat with me about the old Street Mix. Good guy who the station will miss dearly. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere soon.

CapeRadio

Re: B 96 Changes

Middleton is a great jock, however a little past his prime at B96.

Quite frankly, when Julian and Tim were fired the first time, I was supprised that Middleton was around for so long. IMHO the change was inevitible at some point. It just seemed like the changes towards hip hop alienated him from the station.

B96 10 years ago and B96 today are two completely different stations. Brian would still sound great if B96 was still a straight CHR. B96 the past few years seems to be going the Hot 97 route, and while I haven't heard this new Julian, I'm sure he sounds urban.

Brian, I wish you the best. I hope you land somewhere soon. You are definitely one of Chicago's most tallented, proved by the fact that you were able to hang on to B96 for so long.

mikeydspins2

To me lately B96 sounds like a indecisive person who cannot make up thier mind!!! they lean towards dance then back away from it. then they lean toward hot 40, then hip-hop. I do have to say that B96 sounded good back in the day! They totally forgot what made them a heritage station here in Chicago. I mean COME ON find a format and stick to it !!!!!!!!!!!

windycitydeejay

here is the answer to all your questions.

B96 will always survive in the numbers game because of the multi-culture of listeners.

They tried to lure the blacks away from GCI but it did not work. So they told Eddie and [EDIT] to "street" it up and talk Latino. Then B-9sux hired an all Latino air-staff with exception to Brian and E&J, Considering Chicago is about 75% Latino, they are targeting the correct crowd. Here is some inside info on B9sux. The airstaff excluding E&J only make $35-40 grand per year. Yes, Fact! They are the lowest paid air staffers in Chicago and in the CBS realm of stations. These guys are nothing more than board operators. Thats it!

CBS has lost its ass due to Howard leaving and other lame offsets. They are not going to pay a guy like former afternoon dude Gary Spears $200,000 per year now that CBS is losing their ass.

The reason for the edit - If you don't like someone fine, but keep it clean

let's see....

E&J make millions. But - they are O.M.O.D. (old men, out of demo). How long will they last? Hint: When does their contract run out? That will be the sign.

New night guy = NOT exactly Latino

How do you figure that CHICAGO is 75% Latino??? Maybe B96's audience is, but not Chicago.

Schommer is more "Latino" than "Holla & Bling" in the afternoons. He is, afterall, the "King of Freestyle"... ;D His show suffered though, because I don't believe he was given a lot of direction and/or coaching. Still an awesome mixer/remixer and he's landed okay.

Middleton is a GREAT guy and will survive. He has a lot going for him. Anyone that can survive & thrive through almost 20 years worth of changes in ONE place can't be too bad, can he?
    &quot;curmudgeon in training&quot; <br />yep, that&#039;s me all right.

SevenBizzos

Quote Originally Posted by windycitydeejay

Then B-9sux hired an all Latino air-staff with exception to Brian and E&J, Considering Chicago is about 75% Latino, they are targeting the correct crowd.

http://www3.nd.edu/~chifacts/subcoun...years=1&dcat=1

According to the most recent US census, Chicago (city) is only 26% Latino decent. Please only present facts that actually would qualify as facts.

Quote Originally Posted by windycitydeejay

B96 will always survive in the numbers game because of the multi-culture of listeners.

They tried to lure the blacks away from GCI but it did not work. So they told Eddie and [EDIT] to "street" it up and talk Latino. Then B-9sux hired an all Latino air-staff with exception to Brian and E&J, Considering Chicago is about 75% Latino, they are targeting the correct crowd.

Hey, willya look at that! He overinflates his salary by 1000 times, but he's getting better - only tripled the number of Hispanics in Chicago! Great strides, dude! Maybe someday you'll get a number right!

CapeRadio

Anybody know where Tim has landed and what he's doing?

I do! Tim is working in the burbs, still doing some music. He's also still spinning in clubs pretty frequently.

http://www.myspace.com/tspinnin

(IF you do MySpace - it's not for everybody. )
    &quot;curmudgeon in training&quot; <br />yep, that&#039;s me all right.