• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

Re: Most Inexplicable Network Program Pre-Emption

ShawnHill1 said:
Reading back through this older post, and bringing back the SNL topic...Detroit's Channel 4 (WWJ-TV/WDIV) bumped the early days of Saturday Night Live off to then-indie WKBD (there's a promo for it on FuzzyMemories.com). I had to assume that Channel 4 ran its own movie package in the 11:30pm Saturday slot; I also have to assume like with most other NBC stations that didn't clear SNL, they picked it up by the time the original cast left.

WWJ-TV/WDIV did indeed have a movie package in that slot - called Saturday Night Movie 4. From my recollection, it wasn't until 1978-79 that Channel 4 in Detroit started airing SNL.

ShawnHill1 said:
Maybe another inexplicable network pre-emption by a local station (according to Wikipedia*), was Las Vegas' NBC affiliate on Channel 3 (now KSNV) didn't broadcast any part of the 1978 World Series. Supposedly, NBC caught wind of this (because of viewer complaints), and they and the FCC essentially forced an ownership, selling the station to its current parent company.
...was this the incident where NBC threatened to move its affiliation to KVVU-TV/5, then owned by Johnny Carson -- and Carson refused?...

Though not a "network" show, but back in the late 80's I can recall when the Denver stations ( KWGN-KCNC-KMGH-KUSA-KDVR ) had all made a pact between each other NOT to air the syndicated Morton Downey Jr. Show. I had no idea that was the case, that is until I had heard about this on a KOA Radio talk show at the time when some caller who had just moved to Denver from New Jersey had asked about the lack of Morton Downey on TV in Denver.

Of course in 1989 Downey did end up making it on local Denver TV when his show had became part of the line-up at then-new KTVD channel 20 however by that time the violence and such associated with Downey's show had became a thing of the past and of course his show didn't last much longer after that.

WJBK-TV2, Detroit preempted Douglas Edwards and the News and the Evening Edition of CBS News with Walter Cronkite for several years in the late 50s and early 60s (they finally picked up the CBS Evening News when it went to a half hour in 1963). The station decided to expand their local broadcast to 30 minutes (instead of 15 minutes local and 15 minutes network as they had done previously).

The station also did not carry the CBS Morning News (know at various times by various titles) during their tenure as a CBS affiliate. And they preempted Edward R. Murrow's "Person to Person" (which went to CKLW-TV in Windsor) and bumped "See It Now" out of prime time via kinescope.

Four years (minus a few days) between replies to this thread: Is that a record?

wangchung said:
has anyone mentioned the CLASSIC "Heidi" game? that takes the cake in my book.

(Sorry if the bump from the previous poster poses a problem.)

Actually, the Heidi game itself was bumped in one market: of course, Birmingham. Wound up on 42, not 13. Speaking of which, 13 at one point (from what I read) once preempted The Tonight Show!

ShawnHill1 said:
Detroit's Channel 4 (WWJ-TV/WDIV) bumped the early days of Saturday Night Live off to then-indie WKBD (there's a promo for it on FuzzyMemories.com). I had to assume that Channel 4 ran its own movie package in the 11:30pm Saturday slot; I also have to assume like with most other NBC stations that didn't clear SNL, they picked it up by the time the original cast left.

WNEM in Bay City was exactly like that -- they bumped SNL in favor of movies. However, the market had no independent station at the time, and neither WJRT nor WEYI picked the show up (WJRT also had movies; don't know what WEYI had). Viewers had to watch SNL either on WKBD or a nearest NBC affiliate. And if you didn't have cable or access to WKBD or another NBC station, you had to make do with the occasional "Best Of" specials in prime-time, which WNEM did show.

MattParker said:
WJBK-TV2, Detroit...preempted Edward R. Murrow's "Person to Person" (which went to CKLW-TV in Windsor) and bumped "See It Now" out of prime time via kinescope.
...on the evening of Murrow's legendary 1954 broadcast of Wisconsin Senator Joseph McCarthy's self-condemnation by conduct over See It Now, the CBS affiliate serving McCarthy's home community of Appleton, WBAY-TV/2 Green Bay, ran one of DuMont's professional wrestling shows instead. But, considering how scared s***less the Wisconsin news media were of McCarthy at the time, I guess that one could have been expected. The only Wisconsin station to carry the broadcast, WCAN-TV/25 Milwaukee, was bought by CBS and taken dark a few months afterwards, with its facilities merged by CBS into the former WOKY-TV/19 (an ABC primary and DuMont secondary affiliate that became an independent when WTVW/12 signed on and took those affiliations away in October) to create CBS O&O WXIX/19...

I don't know if the Storer stations carried "See It Now";
WAGA didn't, and both it and WJBK were owned by Storer.
It would be ironic if the "See It Now" broadcast on Lt. Milo
Radulovich, the first McCarthy-related one Murrow did, was
pre-empted in Detroit since I believe his family lived there.

WAGA also didn't carry Walter Cronkite for about four years
(1962-66).

And as for Birmingham, not only did 13 not carry Johnny Carson
and handed him off to 42 from 1965-70, it didn't carry Ed Sullivan
either; Birmingham viewers did not see the Beatles on Sullivan unless
they could somehow get one of the CBS affiliates from neighboring
markets such as Atlanta or Columbus, GA.

Russell W. said:
*********WPSD-6 (NBC) in Paducah, Ky. was another doozy.  SNL wasn't carried until 1979, and then on a one-hour delay.  Entire primetime lineups would be regularly preempted for Kentucky Wildcat basketball games -- despite the fact that Kentucky makes up barely 1/3 of the coverage area!    
And that station covers a four-state area, and used to get mail from two other states!  I was aware of the SNL hour delay, and I thought that that was actually the result of a compromise, and that they originally weren't going to carry it at all!  I don't ever remember them not carrying it in the late '70s, because I was still young, and that would have been past my bedtime, anyway.  The hour delay used to annoy me to death by the time I started watching it in the '80s.  Even on Miss America night, when they were already an hour behind schedule, they still delayed SNL by an hour! :mad: They didn't carry SNL "on time" until sometime in the '90s, by which time I had lost interest in the show, anyway.

They once carried a UK basketball game on Thursday evening, right at the height of the popularity of the Cosby Show!  They actually carried Cosby a half-hour early that evening (at 6:30!), while delaying the rest of the NBC Thursday lineup to overnights, so that everyone could tape it.

I suppose that their most annoying preemption (for me, anyway) was when they bumped St. Elsewhere (one of my all-time faves!) for a rodeo!  :mad:

And channel 6 used to sign off at 12:30 a.m. on weeknights, right after Letterman, instead of carrying Later with Bob Costas.  ???

KSL-TV 5 in Salt Lake City does not run SNL due to content. However, they do run their prime-time specials, which basically offer the same content. SNL can be seen in the market at CW KUCW. KSL's longtime news lead has eroded of late, some might say more an NBC-driven problem, especially late night.

searadiofreak said:
KSL-TV 5 in Salt Lake City does not run SNL due to content. However, they do run their prime-time specials, which basically offer the same content. SNL can be seen in the market at CW KUCW.
...KSL-TV, owned by Bonneville (a business arm of the Mormon church), also passed on NBC's God, The Devil & Bob, which instead went to KJZZ-TV/14 (co-owned with the Utah Jazz NBA franchise), then the UPN affiliate in Salt Lake City. God, The Devil & Bob was also rejected by WNDU-TV/16 South Bend, then owned by (Catholic) Notre Dame University, passing it along to a digital sub-channel of CBS affiliate WSBT-TV/22, the CBS affiliate there...

firepoint525 said:
Russell W. said:
*********WPSD-6 (NBC) in Paducah, Ky. was another doozy. SNL wasn't carried until 1979, and then on a one-hour delay. Entire primetime lineups would be regularly preempted for Kentucky Wildcat basketball games -- despite the fact that Kentucky makes up barely 1/3 of the coverage area!
And that station covers a four-state area, and used to get mail from two other states! I was aware of the SNL hour delay, and I thought that that was actually the result of a compromise, and that they originally weren't going to carry it at all! I don't ever remember them not carrying it in the late '70s, because I was still young, and that would have been past my bedtime, anyway. The hour delay used to annoy me to death by the time I started watching it in the '80s. Even on Miss America night, when they were already an hour behind schedule, they still delayed SNL by an hour! :mad: They didn't carry SNL "on time" until sometime in the '90s, by which time I had lost interest in the show, anyway.

They once carried a UK basketball game on Thursday evening, right at the height of the popularity of the Cosby Show! They actually carried Cosby a half-hour early that evening (at 6:30!), while delaying the rest of the NBC Thursday lineup to overnights, so that everyone could tape it.

I suppose that their most annoying preemption (for me, anyway) was when they bumped St. Elsewhere (one of my all-time faves!) for a rodeo! :mad:

And channel 6 used to sign off at 12:30 a.m. on weeknights, right after Letterman, instead of carrying Later with Bob Costas. ???

WPSD and Cosby is not unusual. I remember on Thursday night during the week ABC had "The Winds Of War" WRAL, then an ABC affiliate, was locked into an ACC basketball game at 9 PM, when "Winds" was scheduled on ABC. The network let them run the episode at 7, followed by the game.

I had forgotten--and therefore am always surprised--that WFLA Tampa pre-empted Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow" show and signed off at 1 AM, right after Carson.

One other pre-emption, perhaps the most-asked question in the history of Dallas/Ft. Worth television: why did WFAA always pre-empt "American Bandstand"?

^^^

Can't vouch for DFW, but Miami market did the same thing---black out Bandstand. The West Palm Beach ABC station had it, AND, there was a brief time when indie WAJA 23 took it....otherwise I cannot understand, except for.....

As WLBW, ch 10 Miami had their own local version of AB called "Saturday Hop" w/ Rick Shaw, then of WQAM. 10's owners changed hands in 1970, and I think Hop was cancelled, but I am sure that "AB" was still bumped.*

Anyone in the know?

*That somehow didn't stop Dick Clark from opening a Bandstand Grill or whatever it was called in Miami in the 80s.

cd

No Bandstand in Baltimore

If you've seem Hairspray (the movie, the musical or the movie musical) you know something about the situation with American Bandstand in Baltimore. Group W's WJZ-TV was an ABC affiliate at the time and did not carry Bandstand. Instead they produced a local dance show called the Buddy Deane Show, which was the basis for the Corny Collins Show in Hairspray. The dancers/participants on Buddy Deane Show were all White - except every other Friday, when everybody (except Deane) was Black. Reportedly the issue was Bandstand had both White and Black teens dancing in the WFIL-TV studio in Philadelphia, although Whites and Blacks were not allowed to dance with each other. That was too much for Baltimore, at least for station management in Baltimore, in the early 60s. Buddy Deane had a small role in the original Hairspray movie, written and directed by Baltimore native John Waters, as a news reporter.

Growing up in Boston, WCVB-TV often preempts ABC Sports programming (on Sundays) for syndicated programming like "Star Search".

Westinghouse owned KPIX in San Francisco (then a CBS affiliate) took a stand against violent content in the mid 1970s. When the CBS network would run violent theatrical movies, KPIX would black them out and insert local programming. The one I recall was the "network television premiere" of Charles Bronson's Death Wish about 1975.

But in those days, whatever CBS network programming was rejected by KPIX, including Death Wish, would be picked up by independent KBHK TV 44, ironically now KPIX's CW sister station. But I guess in those days, Westinghouse felt righteous that they were sticking by their principles.

Lkeller said:
Westinghouse owned KPIX in San Francisco (then a CBS affiliate) took a stand against violent content in the mid 1970s. When the CBS network would run violent theatrical movies, KPIX would black them out and insert local programming. The one I recall was the "network television premiere" of Charles Bronson's Death Wish about 1975.

But in those days, whatever CBS network programming was rejected by KPIX, including Death Wish, would be picked up by independent KBHK TV 44, ironically now KPIX's CW sister station. But I guess in those days, Westinghouse felt righteous that they were sticking by their principles.

I've also read that KPIX even turned down "The Price Is Right" (and it may have been bumped to another Frisco indy).

Ultimajock said:
God, The Devil & Bob was also rejected by WNDU-TV/16 South Bend, then owned by (Catholic) Notre Dame University, passing it along to a digital sub-channel of CBS affiliate WSBT-TV/22, the CBS affiliate there...

When did WSBT start broadcasting a digital signal? "God, The Devil & Bob" was on the air in 2000; however, WSBT's full-time subchannel, now "SBT2", did not start until 2003.

KMBC (Kansas City) pre-empted American Bandstand, Dick Clark still opened AB in Overland Park years later.

In the late 60s/early 70s the stations there pre-empted everything that didn't make the Neilsen top 10
http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/kcit50/index.html

KSDK (St Louis) is bumping a new episode of Community to late Sunday night (early Monday if Cowboys-Eagles goes long) for an infomercial.
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_63321e68-01b0-11e0-8002-00127992bc8b.html

After SB XL bumped, Sinclair's ABC stations Grey's Anatomy for a Sinclair produced post game show.

I think affiliates are allowed to pre-empt only a certain amount depending on contracts. Often depends on the GM and the amount of make goods needed. They seem to do it during non-sweeps periods

I seem to remember one time in 1990 when WWL, WDSU, and then-ABC station WVUE (all in New Orleans, of course) pre-empted their primetime programming for some special about the drug cartel industry hitting Louisiana. It was "Louisiana Crackdown", produced by and simulcasted with WYES, and co-hosted each of the stations' reporters.

There went my "Unsolved Mysteries" fix for one week (yes, it was on a Wednesday)!

Back
Top Bottom