• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

Re: Most Inexplicable Network Program Pre-Emption

SeattleTVFan said:
KIRO TV the CBS affiliate in Seattle had a bad reputation for not carrying several CBS Daytime shows thanks to their owners in Salt Lake City, Bonneville International (aka "The Mormons"). They never aired "The Jokers Wild" in the early 70's, "Press Your Luck", "Family Feud", and the soap "Capitol". Their biggest mistake was not airing "The Bold and the Beautiful" from it's inception in 1987 however in 1994 several months before CBS moved to KSTW TV (Channel 11 now UPN), we started to have the show on in the Seattle area, and then when KIRO TV got it's CBS affiliation back, they ended up carrying B&B because of a different ownership with Cox Broadcasting.KIRO TV did carry "The $25,000 Pyramid" for one season in 1985 - 86.I had a real hot temper when KIRO refuse to air B&B and was hoping in 1994 they would move to KSTW and it worked!Also KOIN TV in Portland had that bad reputation in not carrying B&B, they carried it in 1990, but then after protests by fans it came back in 2000 after hearing that Seattle and several cities nearby started airing the show.
WCAU-TV 10 when it was an CBS O and O station carried all of CBS daytime programming correct from let's say 1958 to 1995?

Stanislav said:
"Family Feud" implied discord within a family, which of course the Mormons never have, right? ;)
Maybe they objected because the usual "teams" were one husband, one wife, and various siblings, children and in-laws. It would have been more acceptable with one husband and three wives on a team. Maybe more interesting TV, too. ::)

Remember that big ABC 2000 special? I read that WRIC in Richmond VA didn't show it, airing movies and old specials all day.WLBZ in Bangor ME used to be known for pre-empting anything from NBC Sports on a weekly basis until around 1997. If it wasn't the NFL or MLB (or if you're lucky, the NBA), forget seeing it. They didn't even run the pre or post-game shows for the sports they did air.A few big-name CBS stations didn't clear CBS This Morning in the early 90s, including WJBK Detroit, WHDH Boston, WAGA Atlanta, KPIX San Francisco and KDKA Pittsburgh. They're all either O&Os or with other networks now.JPK

Growing up, I lived in Rockford, Il, Milwaukee, and Los Angeles. I've been in Los Angeles most of my life, so we obviously got every network show cleared. However, I (vaguely) remember a couple of minor instances where KNBC in 1989 or so didn't clear Dr. Dean Edell's network daily show (at 10am) and delayed Wheel of Fortune (10:30am) to late nights after the 11pm news rerun. Instead, a syndicated NBC offering, House Party with Steve Doocy (produced by Washington's WRC) was shown. Other than that, no problems.In Milwaukee, as already mentioned, WTMJ didn't clear the Tonight Show in the 1980s (instead airing on WVTV), and had off-network reruns until Letterman came on at 11:30pm. Ironically enough, when Magnum, P.I. hit syndication in 1986, I remember it airing concurrently on WTMJ, WGN, and WKOW in Madison at 10:30pm. WTMJ and WITI were notoriously preemption happy in the Brew City, as they barely cleared their respective networks daytime and late night programming, but WISN pretty much aired the ABC schedule, but delayed All My Children by an hour (no longer does). Also, and I'm not sure if they still do it, but WTMJ use to delay some of NBC's primetime sitcoms (usually the Thursday 7:30pm show, such as A Different World, for example) and air them Sunday evenings before the NBC Nightly News. Instead, an off-network sitcom (one example would be Newhart) would be inserted between the Cosby Show and Cheers.In Rockford, it was a four-station town (ABC, CBS, NBC, and the Independent that eventually became Fox), PBS programming came from Chicago (90 miles away) and Madison (55 miles away), via cable and/or a strong antenna. WIFR (CBS) would be the only station that pretty much cleared the entire network schedule. Even when they snatch the local broadcast rights of the Cubs away from WTVO in 1988, the preempted CBS shows usually aired later at night. Still, if you had cable or a strong antenna, you can could pick all of the Cubs games on WGN.WTVO (NBC until 1995, now ABC) didn't clear the 9 and 11am weekday hours, nor the 11am Saturday hour. They also didn't show the Saturday Nightly News, but did show the Sunday edition.On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.

On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.[/quote]To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.

JPKirby said:
Remember that big ABC 2000 special? I read that WRIC in Richmond VA didn't show it, airing movies and old specials all day.WLBZ in Bangor ME used to be known for pre-empting anything from NBC Sports on a weekly basis until around 1997. If it wasn't the NFL or MLB (or if you're lucky, the NBA), forget seeing it. They didn't even run the pre or post-game shows for the sports they did air.A few big-name CBS stations didn't clear CBS This Morning in the early 90s, including WJBK Detroit, WHDH Boston, WAGA Atlanta, KPIX San Francisco and KDKA Pittsburgh. They're all either O&Os or with other networks now.JPK
In New Orleans, WWL-TV 4 (CBS) which is owned by Belo doesn't air the early show, WUPL 54 airs the CBS early show. WUPL will soon will be a belo station also.

JPKirby said:
WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland used to do the exact same thing when I lived in Old Orchard Beach in the mid-1980s. In fact, back in 1986, WPXT-TV (WB) channel 51 of Portland carried the coverage of The Skins Game (golf) from NBC that weekend, since channel 6 wasn't airing it.

KRON in San Francisco was notorious for pre-empting NBC programming in the '80s and '90s. As a kid, I disliked them pre-empting certain Saturday cartoons(most notably 'Spider-man and his Amazing Friends') for local kids' stuff. It got worse around 1990, when they started pre-empting weekend sports programming seemingly at random to show movies like 'Mahogany'.(At this point, KRON sportscaster Gary Radnich, who also did a radio showon KNBR, would try to commiserate with irate callers who'd missed a basketball game due to the station showing what Radnich always referred to generically as 'a rerun of Cheyenne'!) ;DKRON also was very fullof itself as far as news and documentaries were concerned(a far cry from their bare-bones operation of today!), and often skipped prime-time shows to schedule their local offerings.By 1991, then-independent KOFY channel 20(which had for years cleared CBS game shows pre-empted by KPIX) would pick up these random NBC pre-emptions, advertising channel 20 as 'The place to BE for NBC...when NBC...isn't ON NBC!' ;)Ironically, by the time KRON dropped its NBC affiliation in 2002, they hardly ever pre-empted the network lineup!

SteveRichards said:
On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.
To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.[/quote]You know what, I do stand corrected...I could have sworn at one point that ABC programmed that 9am CT hour, unless I was watching an ABC affiliate airing a delayed network show at the hour. Such a long time ago...

WDTN in Dayton, Ohio, when it was an ABC affiliate (from 1980-2004), didn't carry "General Hospital" at 3pm for approximately 22 of those 24 years. Instead, they aired cartoons until 1987 when they picked up "Hour Magazine" and eventually "Geraldo". In the mid-1990s, WDTN dropped "One Life to Live" at 2pm in favor of more talk show programming, which left Dayton without an avenue to view two of ABC's soaps unless they had an antenna pointed toward Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or Columbus.If memory serves me correctly, WDTN cleared all of ABC Daytime the last year they were affiliated with ABC (I think GH "premiered" the year prior to that), which would have been the first time they did so since being affiliated with ABC. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. WDTN carried all other ABC programming.Also, back in 1987 or 1988, then ABC affiliate, WKRC in nearby Cincinnati didn't carry ABC's Friday night 8:30pm sitcom in favor of "Small Wonder" for a couple years. WRTV in Indianapolis did a similar thing with the 9:30pm slot by carrying "She's the Sheriff" in place of whatever ABC aired.Not many other stations in the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis areas pre-empted weekday programming from the 80s through today except for whatever was scheduled in the noon time slot in the 80s...all stations except for WKEF in Dayton, then an NBC affiliate, carryed news at noon. The only station that comes to mind as far as weekend programming pre-emptions go is WHIO-TV in Dayton, the CBS affiliate. They were pretty notorious for replacing Saturday morning programs in the 80s and 90s. I remember "The Alvin Show" airing at 10:30am instead of the normal CBS children's program for a little while (cleverly placed right after "Alvin and the Chipmunks" at the time on NBC). In the early 90s, WHIO-TV was one of the first stations in the area to air a two hour newscast on Saturday mornings (from 8-10). Instead of not clearing CBS programming during that time, they opted to not run CBS children's programming altogether...putting in it's place Jack Hanna's animal program (the actual name escapes me at the moment) and the locally-produced high school quiz show "Hi-Q" which still runs to this date.

ShawnHill1 said:
SteveRichards said:
On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.
To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.
You know what, I do stand corrected...I could have sworn at one point that ABC programmed that 9am CT hour, unless I was watching an ABC affiliate airing a delayed network show at the hour. Such a long time ago...[/quote]...I thought that was when ABC scheduled Dick Cavett's 1968-69 morning show...

From a retro Boston schedule from 1968 that was posted on this board sometime ago (http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,37712.0.html), it appears Cavett's morning show aired at 10:30/9:30 Central. From the other retro schedules posted and possible affiliate pre-emptions/delays, it's a little difficult to determine at exactly what time ABC daytime programming began pre and post-Cavett.

Going to next weekend, Tampa Bay's CBS affiliate WTSP will be bumping "NUMB3RS" at 8PM for a hurricane special.Of course, a special on Hurricane preparedness is very vital, considering the location, but look where WTSP put "NUMB3RS":At 12:30AM later that night... after an hour block of infomercials, followed by more infomercials.Wouldn't it make more sense for them to put "NUMB3RS" immediately after the 11PM newscast?

azumanga said:
Going to next weekend, Tampa Bay's CBS affiliate WTSP will be bumping "NUMB3RS" at 8PM for a hurricane special.Of course, a special on Hurricane preparedness is very vital, considering the location, but look where WTSP put "NUMB3RS":At 12:30AM later that night... after an hour block of infomercials, followed by more infomercials.Wouldn't it make more sense for them to put "NUMB3RS" immediately after the 11PM newscast?
Not if they are getting paid more to air the infomercials in a better time slot -- it's all about $$$$.

As to when ABC's daytime schedule started before andafter the run of Dick Cavett's morning show, ABC neverstarted before 11 AM (ET) until 1967, when it aired thetalk show Dateline: Hollywood 10:30-10:55, followed byDr. Lendon Smith's Children's Doctor show 10:55-11.(Children's Doctor later ran at 1:55, then 12:55.) InDecember 1967 reruns of The Donna Reed Show tookover the 10:30 slot until March 1968, when Cavett'sshow debuted. After his cancellation, ABC did notbegin daytime programming until 12 Noon, with Bewitchedreruns, until January 1970, when Bewitched moved to11 AM and the short-lived soap The Best Of Everythingaired at noon.Two Southern stations that pre-empted Cavett in themorning were WRAL/5 Raleigh/Durham and WBRC/6Birmingham, both of which ran Mike Douglas instead.WRAL didn't begin airing Cavett's late-night show until1971. WLOS/13 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville usedto join Cavett's daytime show in progress at 11 AM,after Hazel reruns.

Cavett's show did air at 10:30/9:30 Central. However,if you go to Castleman and Podrazik's "The TV ScheduleBook" and look at ABC daytime schedules through thewinter of 1983, you'll find that ABC had only one showbefore 10:30 AM (not counting A.M. America/GoodMorning America): a television simulcast of Don McNeill'spopular radio show, "The Breakfast Club"--in 1954-55!I forgot to mention that the Bill Cullen version of "ThePrice Is Right" aired at 10:30 on ABC in 1964 as part ofan all Goodson-Todman trio of games which included"Get The Message" at 11 and "Missing Links" at 11:30.Otherwise, ABC never had a show at 10 AM (ET) nora show at 10:30 after 1969.

Cincinnati has had some of the most ridiculous preemptions ever.I remember Channel 5 preempting 'Diff'rent Strokes' and 'Gimme A Break' for Billy Graham, and preempting 'Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air' for a McAlpin's infomercial.I saw an article in the late '80s that said Channel 12 (which was ABC at the time) was the only ABC affiliate in the entire country that refused to carry David Brinkley. (Religious shows were shown in its place.)Back when 'The Simpsons' was on Thursdays, Channel 19 used to preempt it for basketball games nobody watched. As is the case with the other preemptions mentioned in this post, the station did not delay 'The Simpsons' to a later time. The station simply refused to show it altogether.I also remember Channel 9 (when it was CBS) preempting serious prime-time news shows like the one Ed Bradley had for a while in the early '90s.I lived in the Kentucky part of the metro, which had a really bad cable system that refused to pick up the Dayton or Lexington stations when the Cincinnati affiliates censored a network program.

As I go back to the Stateline area (Northern Illinois & Southern Wisconsin), I can remember some other things as well...when I lived with my grandmother in Rockford, we could pick some of the Madison stations, especially WISC. Since my grandmother is an Young & The Restless fan, WISC aired it at 11am, while our CBS (WIFR) aired it at 11:30am, so, she caught the WISC showing. As far I remember, and this is when Mad-town as a five-station town (WISC 3-CBS, WMTV 15-NBC, WHA 21-PBS, WKOW 27-ABC, WMSN 47-Fox), and WMSN didn't sign-on for the first time until 1985. Anyways, WISC didn't clear the 9am hour, opting to carry a talk show (it had to be Sally Jesse Raphael), nor didn't the CBS Late Show programs, but they did carry CBS News Nightwatch. WMTV had a couple preemptions here and there, but as far I remember, they carried the NBC schedules in full. The same with WKOW, although they didn't carry American Bandstand on Saturday (opting instead to carry a Country music program), and also didn't clear one of the weekend editions of World News Tonight.As a young kid, living in a smaller market like Rockford, we did miss out on some syndicated shows (like Small Wonder, for example), because it was then a four-station town. It sure would have been nice to at least add another independent and a PBS station of our own back then.

Buddy Hayes said:
The first year that NBC had Nascar, KPRC in Houston pre-empted the Pepsi 400 (July night race at Daytona) in favor of the Miss Texas Pageant. The race was shown on independent KNWS on tape delay, after that night's Astros game. KPRC also pre-empted David Letterman for a couple of years in the 80s, and delayed Conan O'Brien till 3am for several years.Both KTRK-Houston and WFAA-Dallas pre-empted Dick Clark's American Bandstand for public affairs programs.WSMV-Nashville and WTMJ-Milwaukee pre-empted the Tonight Show at some point in the 80s.
Actually, Conan on KPRC was always delayed until 1:35.....it was Passions that was delayed until 3AM! (For which I don't blame that station since Passions is not that great of a soap anyway. About a year or so ago, KPRC finally started airing Conan at 11:35 while Passions now airs at 2PM KPRC always delays Days of Our Lives and Passions by one hour from the network's usual 12PM CT feed for news and other programming.

imhomerjay said:
Julius May said:
Also WPVI-TV 6 didn't air some ABC shows in the daytime for years to air local programs like AM Philadelphia, and more, true?
Absolutely true. It wasn't until The View (gag) came along that they fully cleared the 11-noon slot. Game shows, off-net reruns, Edge Of Night...they all were bumped. In the early stages, AM Philadelphia was a great local talk show. Once it became the wretched AM Live and was nothing more than a video version of the National Enquirer, it wasn't a great loss to see it go. They couldn't quite let it go--Philly After Midnight and the much better Sunday Live kept on the tradition, until GMA reclaimed the Sunday morning slot.
It was all the stations that were bumping Edge of Night that led to that show's demise in late 1984.

Back
Top Bottom