• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

Friday: Aretha's Franklin's funeral ran long. (According to one radio station more than 3 hours behind). And the funeral aired live on BET and BET HER. They only had it scheduled from 11AM-2PM. It didn't end until 6:56PM, so a few episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air and the movie White Chicks got pre-empted on the main channel. (I don't know what was scheduled to air on BET HER as it's in a different DIRECTV package than the one we subscribe to).

Saturday: The QVC Shopping Network had a 2 hour block of CHAZ DEAN Products scheduled from 10PM-Midnight (I think he had the Today's Special Value) and for whatever reason at 10:30PM they ran 30 minutes of Lock & Lock Plastic-wear a "sneak preview" of Sunday's Today's Special Value. Then they had an hour of CHAZ DEAN products on 11PM-Midnight. (I don't know what ran 10PM-10:30PM).

Saturday Night: FOX had a college football game from Nebraska scheduled to air 8PM-11:30PM. The game ended up getting delayed to nasty thunderstorms. I noticed sometime before 11PM they switched to a different college football game that was still in the first quarter. I wonder how many FOX stations didn't air a late newscast last night. FOX 61 in Hartford was supposed to air their news live at 11:30PM. I wonder if after the game they ran a repeat and edited version of their 10PM newscast that aired on CW20.

Saturday Night: FOX had a college football game from Nebraska scheduled to air 8PM-11:30PM. The game ended up getting delayed to nasty thunderstorms. I noticed sometime before 11PM they switched to a different college football game that was still in the first quarter. I wonder how many FOX stations didn't air a late newscast last night. FOX 61 in Hartford was supposed to air their news live at 11:30PM. I wonder if after the game they ran a repeat and edited version of their 10PM newscast that aired on CW20.

The Nebraska game never started. Right after the teams came out the lighting hit and the delay started. Rule is you can start 30 minutes after the last lighting strike and from twitter reports the closest it got was 21 minutes. FOX showed parts of Baylor & Abelien Christian which was shown on FSN along with studio stuff. At 9:40ish (Central time) they started showing AZ State & UTSA from FS1 because that was Herm Edwards first game as a college head coach. At 10:28ish they (FOX) cut in and said to continue watching the game tune to FS1 and that the Nebraska game was cancelled and then turned it back to the networks at the "scheduled" end time of the football game...well it was about 10:31 when they left the air. So anyone who has late news probably would have had it. Here in Minneapolis KMSP FOX 9 did. KEYC-DT2 (Mankato) went to the FOX late night programming (Love Connection rerun). If any sports goes past 9:30 Central KEYC does not have a 9pm newscast (probably because at 10:00 is the news on their CBS station....KEYC is the only station in the Mankato DMA).

WSPA likely didn't want to give up "Hour Magazine" when "PYL" moved to 4, but i'd would have swapped shows-"Press Your Luck" airing at 4, and "Hour Magazine" airing at 9. It seems to me, "HM" would have been a better fit for the morning, while "PYL" would have fit better in the later afternoon. But then, 7 would have to find another show to air afterwards, maybe "The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime"?

One other note to the above about the late local news having access to 2 CBS & 2 FOX affiliates its interesting how each handles news when the previous sports event runs long.
KMSP Minneapolis will run their 1 hour news in full regardless how long the previous show ran. So if they were scheduled for say 10pm and the game runs until 11:15, KMSP will run a full 1 hour newscast and pre-empt something in the middle of the night. KEYC-DT2 has a news at 9. If sports is scheduled until 9:30 then there is no news. If the sports is scheduled until say 9 (like when FOX has MLB) and if the game runs until 9:20, well then there is a 10 minute newscast and they're back on schedule at 9:30.

My parents used to joke that I watched shows that our stations didn't carry in our area on what they called "the big dish that's spinning in our yard." Of course they are referring to the big dishes that were around back then. I saw a lot of shows this way-Press Your Luck was one show, because I remember during the summer of 86, when Annemarie Carrera became the second-highest winner behind Michael Larson and it was in June of 86. PYL aired at the same time as Sesame Street, but since SS was reruns by that time, I watched PYL instead.

My parents used to joke that I watched shows that our stations didn't carry in our area on what they called "the big dish that's spinning in our yard." Of course they are referring to the big dishes that were around back then. I saw a lot of shows this way-Press Your Luck was one show, because I remember during the summer of 86, when Annemarie Carrera became the second-highest winner behind Michael Larson and it was in June of 86. PYL aired at the same time as Sesame Street, but since SS was reruns by that time, I watched PYL instead.
I saw somewhere that WBTV Charlotte NC never aired the show. I must have watched it on another CBS station. WBTV had an hour-long noon news program.

I read yesterday that when preseason football pre-empted "Jeopardy", it was on The Weather Channel. How does that help people who have cable? I guess some pay enough for the .2 channels. Fortunately, I get "Jeopardy" on two stations and, besides, I've seen the episodes that were airing at that time.

The Hawaii TV Stations as of today are pre-empting coverage of Hurricane Florence due to the fact that Honolulu and Maui had to face Hurricane Olivia in their area.
Florence coverage is pre-empting everything else some places in NC. I haven't seen it happen in Charlotte yet. Also, it hasn't even rained where I live.

Primetime Emmy's are tomorrow on NBC, and there's preemptions all over the place. Here, we won't see Daily Mail TV at all, as KNDO is opting to air Ellen at 3PM. Local news follows at 4PM, the preshow at 4:30 and the Emmy's at 5. There are MANY NBC stations in the west that are airing an encore broadcast of the Emmy's from 8-11, KNDO is not doing that per Zap2It. Feud, Wheel and Jeopardy! will be cleared from 9-10:30 tomorrow night. There are some Wheel/Jeopardy NBC stations that are only clearing one of the two shows, for example WDIV is not showing Wheel at all on 9/17 (7:30 is the optional preshow from NBC).
KING is airing the rebroadcast, but they don't have a lot to lose - just local news and Evening at 7:30, no syndicated shows. KHQ is airing news and game shows between 8-11 (just like KNDO).

Primetime Emmy's are tomorrow on NBC, and there's preemptions all over the place. Here, we won't see Daily Mail TV at all, as KNDO is opting to air Ellen at 3PM. Local news follows at 4PM, the preshow at 4:30 and the Emmy's at 5. There are MANY NBC stations in the west that are airing an encore broadcast of the Emmy's from 8-11, KNDO is not doing that per Zap2It. Feud, Wheel and Jeopardy! will be cleared from 9-10:30 tomorrow night. There are some Wheel/Jeopardy NBC stations that are only clearing one of the two shows, for example WDIV is not showing Wheel at all on 9/17 (7:30 is the optional preshow from NBC).
KING is airing the rebroadcast, but they don't have a lot to lose - just local news and Evening at 7:30, no syndicated shows. KHQ is airing news and game shows between 8-11 (just like KNDO).

WPBN isn't airing the preshow, therefore clearing both Wheel and Jeopardy. WOOD is airing the preshow, bumping Inside Edition.

Fox 46 in Charlotte surely upset some kids. Now it is true the movie will air next Sunday and I am taping it again. But just as the hero in "Shark Tale" was sitting down at a table with a bunch of sharks, and somehow getting ready to solve the shark problem in his community--even though he has no abilities and was just there when another shark banged his head on an anchor--weather update! And they never went back to the movie.

The interesting thing is that WSPA didn't cut away from the Raiders-Broncos game, even though there was a flash flood warning for parts of the viewing area. They always are very conservative about weather cut-ins, i guess.

Yesterday 2 courts shows, 2 episodes of Funny You Should Ask, TMZ Live, and possibly an episode of Millionaire were pre-empted on WCTX in New Haven, CT for the Yankees-Redsox game. Very unusual for a 1PM game time on a Tuesday. Most games on WCTX are at 7PM so usually a same day rerun of Dr. Phil is pre-emted and the My Network TV Programming is delayed til 11:35PM.

At least in the case of the 2 court shows and Funny You Should Ask being pre-empted is no big loss.

Monday night on WCTX the same day rerun of Dr. Phil was pre-empted for a live debate of the two main candidates running for governor in the State of Connecticut.

6pm local news tonight on KNDO will be preempted for a live debate for two women running for the 5th congressional district (Spokane/Walla Walla/Pullman), one Republican and one Democrat. They are actually preempting Lester Holt for LOCAL news at 5:30...
Feud is also preempted, the #1 game show in syndication. It will NOT be made up, even on SWX.

today, KDFW aired a block of E/I programming at 11:30 AM-2:30 PM instead of Fox's coverage of the NASCAR Camping World Trucks Series race at Talladega Superspeedway (which was the cutoff race of the opening round of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Playoffs, where in the Truck Series, it's 2 rounds of 3 races and then a final round which is the final race. and after the 3rd race, 2 drivers are out of the playoffs points standings wise, and the final round is of course the final race of the season at Homestead, where 4 drivers compete for a championship, and one of those 4 drivers ether wins the race or finishes ahead of the other 3, they win the championship of that series). while KDFW opted to catch up on their E/I requirement after recent college football games and MLB baseball games preempted them. and the race itself would end up airing live from start to finish on sister station KDFI 27.

How many other Fox stations opted to air their E/I programming in place of the NASCAR Camping World Trucks Series and if they did, where did they air it on if they aired it on TV at all.

I would have much rather seen the E/I shows IMO. I think KDFW, like the other Fox O&Os, clear the Xploration Station block. We get to see reruns of Earth 2050 on Comet TV Saturday mornings, but the rest of the block (including the show with Philippe Cousteau) are not cleared in this market whatsoever, obviously since the stations around here don't need that block to fulfill the E/I requirement. CBS/NBC/ABC/CW get the minimum requirement through the Litton blocks. KIMA does air America's Heartland, Saturdays at 5:30pm for an extra 1/2 hr of E/I. Fox (KCYU) clears Litton's Go Time + Jack Hanna's Into the Wild for the E/I requirement.
As for the truck series, it hasn't been that interesting to watch since the Craftsman days with Ron Hornaday Jr. and Ted Musgrave...

Back
Top Bottom