Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: They preempted that for this?

Re: Most Inexplicable Network Program Pre-Emption

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnHill1
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRichards
    On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.
    To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.
    You know what, I do stand corrected...I could have sworn at one point that ABC programmed that 9am CT hour, unless I was watching an ABC affiliate airing a delayed network show at the hour. Such a long time ago...[/quote]...I thought that was when ABC scheduled Dick Cavett's 1968-69 morning show...
    King Daevid MacKenzie

From a retro Boston schedule from 1968 that was posted on this board sometime ago (http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....c,37712.0.html), it appears Cavett's morning show aired at 10:30/9:30 Central. From the other retro schedules posted and possible affiliate pre-emptions/delays, it's a little difficult to determine at exactly what time ABC daytime programming began pre and post-Cavett.

Going to next weekend, Tampa Bay's CBS affiliate WTSP will be bumping "NUMB3RS" at 8PM for a hurricane special.Of course, a special on Hurricane preparedness is very vital, considering the location, but look where WTSP put "NUMB3RS":At 12:30AM later that night... after an hour block of infomercials, followed by more infomercials.Wouldn't it make more sense for them to put "NUMB3RS" immediately after the 11PM newscast?

Quote Originally Posted by azumanga
    Going to next weekend, Tampa Bay's CBS affiliate WTSP will be bumping "NUMB3RS" at 8PM for a hurricane special.Of course, a special on Hurricane preparedness is very vital, considering the location, but look where WTSP put "NUMB3RS":At 12:30AM later that night... after an hour block of infomercials, followed by more infomercials.Wouldn't it make more sense for them to put "NUMB3RS" immediately after the 11PM newscast?
    Not if they are getting paid more to air the infomercials in a better time slot -- it's all about $$$$.

As to when ABC's daytime schedule started before andafter the run of Dick Cavett's morning show, ABC neverstarted before 11 AM (ET) until 1967, when it aired thetalk show Dateline: Hollywood 10:30-10:55, followed byDr. Lendon Smith's Children's Doctor show 10:55-11.(Children's Doctor later ran at 1:55, then 12:55.) InDecember 1967 reruns of The Donna Reed Show tookover the 10:30 slot until March 1968, when Cavett'sshow debuted. After his cancellation, ABC did notbegin daytime programming until 12 Noon, with Bewitchedreruns, until January 1970, when Bewitched moved to11 AM and the short-lived soap The Best Of Everythingaired at noon.Two Southern stations that pre-empted Cavett in themorning were WRAL/5 Raleigh/Durham and WBRC/6Birmingham, both of which ran Mike Douglas instead.WRAL didn't begin airing Cavett's late-night show until1971. WLOS/13 Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville usedto join Cavett's daytime show in progress at 11 AM,after Hazel reruns.

Cavett's show did air at 10:30/9:30 Central. However,if you go to Castleman and Podrazik's "The TV ScheduleBook" and look at ABC daytime schedules through thewinter of 1983, you'll find that ABC had only one showbefore 10:30 AM (not counting A.M. America/GoodMorning America): a television simulcast of Don McNeill'spopular radio show, "The Breakfast Club"--in 1954-55!I forgot to mention that the Bill Cullen version of "ThePrice Is Right" aired at 10:30 on ABC in 1964 as part ofan all Goodson-Todman trio of games which included"Get The Message" at 11 and "Missing Links" at 11:30.Otherwise, ABC never had a show at 10 AM (ET) nora show at 10:30 after 1969.

Cincinnati has had some of the most ridiculous preemptions ever.I remember Channel 5 preempting 'Diff'rent Strokes' and 'Gimme A Break' for Billy Graham, and preempting 'Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air' for a McAlpin's infomercial.I saw an article in the late '80s that said Channel 12 (which was ABC at the time) was the only ABC affiliate in the entire country that refused to carry David Brinkley. (Religious shows were shown in its place.)Back when 'The Simpsons' was on Thursdays, Channel 19 used to preempt it for basketball games nobody watched. As is the case with the other preemptions mentioned in this post, the station did not delay 'The Simpsons' to a later time. The station simply refused to show it altogether.I also remember Channel 9 (when it was CBS) preempting serious prime-time news shows like the one Ed Bradley had for a while in the early '90s.I lived in the Kentucky part of the metro, which had a really bad cable system that refused to pick up the Dayton or Lexington stations when the Cincinnati affiliates censored a network program.

As I go back to the Stateline area (Northern Illinois & Southern Wisconsin), I can remember some other things as well...when I lived with my grandmother in Rockford, we could pick some of the Madison stations, especially WISC. Since my grandmother is an Young & The Restless fan, WISC aired it at 11am, while our CBS (WIFR) aired it at 11:30am, so, she caught the WISC showing. As far I remember, and this is when Mad-town as a five-station town (WISC 3-CBS, WMTV 15-NBC, WHA 21-PBS, WKOW 27-ABC, WMSN 47-Fox), and WMSN didn't sign-on for the first time until 1985. Anyways, WISC didn't clear the 9am hour, opting to carry a talk show (it had to be Sally Jesse Raphael), nor didn't the CBS Late Show programs, but they did carry CBS News Nightwatch. WMTV had a couple preemptions here and there, but as far I remember, they carried the NBC schedules in full. The same with WKOW, although they didn't carry American Bandstand on Saturday (opting instead to carry a Country music program), and also didn't clear one of the weekend editions of World News Tonight.As a young kid, living in a smaller market like Rockford, we did miss out on some syndicated shows (like Small Wonder, for example), because it was then a four-station town. It sure would have been nice to at least add another independent and a PBS station of our own back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Hayes
    The first year that NBC had Nascar, KPRC in Houston pre-empted the Pepsi 400 (July night race at Daytona) in favor of the Miss Texas Pageant. The race was shown on independent KNWS on tape delay, after that night's Astros game. KPRC also pre-empted David Letterman for a couple of years in the 80s, and delayed Conan O'Brien till 3am for several years.Both KTRK-Houston and WFAA-Dallas pre-empted Dick Clark's American Bandstand for public affairs programs.WSMV-Nashville and WTMJ-Milwaukee pre-empted the Tonight Show at some point in the 80s.
    Actually, Conan on KPRC was always delayed until 1:35.....it was Passions that was delayed until 3AM! (For which I don't blame that station since Passions is not that great of a soap anyway. About a year or so ago, KPRC finally started airing Conan at 11:35 while Passions now airs at 2PM KPRC always delays Days of Our Lives and Passions by one hour from the network's usual 12PM CT feed for news and other programming.

Quote Originally Posted by imhomerjay
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius May
    Also WPVI-TV 6 didn't air some ABC shows in the daytime for years to air local programs like AM Philadelphia, and more, true?
    Absolutely true. It wasn't until The View (gag) came along that they fully cleared the 11-noon slot. Game shows, off-net reruns, Edge Of Night...they all were bumped. In the early stages, AM Philadelphia was a great local talk show. Once it became the wretched AM Live and was nothing more than a video version of the National Enquirer, it wasn't a great loss to see it go. They couldn't quite let it go--Philly After Midnight and the much better Sunday Live kept on the tradition, until GMA reclaimed the Sunday morning slot.
    It was all the stations that were bumping Edge of Night that led to that show's demise in late 1984.

Page 6 of 122 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast