Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: They preempted that for this?

Banned

Re: Most Inexplicable Network Program Pre-Emption

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleTVFan
    KIRO TV the CBS affiliate in Seattle had a bad reputation for not carrying several CBS Daytime shows thanks to their owners in Salt Lake City, Bonneville International (aka "The Mormons"). They never aired "The Jokers Wild" in the early 70's, "Press Your Luck", "Family Feud", and the soap "Capitol". Their biggest mistake was not airing "The Bold and the Beautiful" from it's inception in 1987 however in 1994 several months before CBS moved to KSTW TV (Channel 11 now UPN), we started to have the show on in the Seattle area, and then when KIRO TV got it's CBS affiliation back, they ended up carrying B&B because of a different ownership with Cox Broadcasting.KIRO TV did carry "The $25,000 Pyramid" for one season in 1985 - 86.I had a real hot temper when KIRO refuse to air B&B and was hoping in 1994 they would move to KSTW and it worked!Also KOIN TV in Portland had that bad reputation in not carrying B&B, they carried it in 1990, but then after protests by fans it came back in 2000 after hearing that Seattle and several cities nearby started airing the show.
    WCAU-TV 10 when it was an CBS O and O station carried all of CBS daytime programming correct from let's say 1958 to 1995?

fred flintstone

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislav
    "Family Feud" implied discord within a family, which of course the Mormons never have, right?
    Maybe they objected because the usual "teams" were one husband, one wife, and various siblings, children and in-laws. It would have been more acceptable with one husband and three wives on a team. Maybe more interesting TV, too. :

Remember that big ABC 2000 special? I read that WRIC in Richmond VA didn't show it, airing movies and old specials all day.WLBZ in Bangor ME used to be known for pre-empting anything from NBC Sports on a weekly basis until around 1997. If it wasn't the NFL or MLB (or if you're lucky, the NBA), forget seeing it. They didn't even run the pre or post-game shows for the sports they did air.A few big-name CBS stations didn't clear CBS This Morning in the early 90s, including WJBK Detroit, WHDH Boston, WAGA Atlanta, KPIX San Francisco and KDKA Pittsburgh. They're all either O&Os or with other networks now.JPK

Growing up, I lived in Rockford, Il, Milwaukee, and Los Angeles. I've been in Los Angeles most of my life, so we obviously got every network show cleared. However, I (vaguely) remember a couple of minor instances where KNBC in 1989 or so didn't clear Dr. Dean Edell's network daily show (at 10am) and delayed Wheel of Fortune (10:30am) to late nights after the 11pm news rerun. Instead, a syndicated NBC offering, House Party with Steve Doocy (produced by Washington's WRC) was shown. Other than that, no problems.In Milwaukee, as already mentioned, WTMJ didn't clear the Tonight Show in the 1980s (instead airing on WVTV), and had off-network reruns until Letterman came on at 11:30pm. Ironically enough, when Magnum, P.I. hit syndication in 1986, I remember it airing concurrently on WTMJ, WGN, and WKOW in Madison at 10:30pm. WTMJ and WITI were notoriously preemption happy in the Brew City, as they barely cleared their respective networks daytime and late night programming, but WISN pretty much aired the ABC schedule, but delayed All My Children by an hour (no longer does). Also, and I'm not sure if they still do it, but WTMJ use to delay some of NBC's primetime sitcoms (usually the Thursday 7:30pm show, such as A Different World, for example) and air them Sunday evenings before the NBC Nightly News. Instead, an off-network sitcom (one example would be Newhart) would be inserted between the Cosby Show and Cheers.In Rockford, it was a four-station town (ABC, CBS, NBC, and the Independent that eventually became Fox), PBS programming came from Chicago (90 miles away) and Madison (55 miles away), via cable and/or a strong antenna. WIFR (CBS) would be the only station that pretty much cleared the entire network schedule. Even when they snatch the local broadcast rights of the Cubs away from WTVO in 1988, the preempted CBS shows usually aired later at night. Still, if you had cable or a strong antenna, you can could pick all of the Cubs games on WGN.WTVO (NBC until 1995, now ABC) didn't clear the 9 and 11am weekday hours, nor the 11am Saturday hour. They also didn't show the Saturday Nightly News, but did show the Sunday edition.On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.

On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.[/quote]To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JPKirby
    Remember that big ABC 2000 special? I read that WRIC in Richmond VA didn't show it, airing movies and old specials all day.WLBZ in Bangor ME used to be known for pre-empting anything from NBC Sports on a weekly basis until around 1997. If it wasn't the NFL or MLB (or if you're lucky, the NBA), forget seeing it. They didn't even run the pre or post-game shows for the sports they did air.A few big-name CBS stations didn't clear CBS This Morning in the early 90s, including WJBK Detroit, WHDH Boston, WAGA Atlanta, KPIX San Francisco and KDKA Pittsburgh. They're all either O&Os or with other networks now.JPK
    In New Orleans, WWL-TV 4 (CBS) which is owned by Belo doesn't air the early show, WUPL 54 airs the CBS early show. WUPL will soon will be a belo station also.

KML0224

Quote Originally Posted by JPKirby
    WCSH-TV (NBC) channel 6 of Portland used to do the exact same thing when I lived in Old Orchard Beach in the mid-1980s. In fact, back in 1986, WPXT-TV (WB) channel 51 of Portland carried the coverage of The Skins Game (golf) from NBC that weekend, since channel 6 wasn't airing it.

KRON in San Francisco was notorious for pre-empting NBC programming in the '80s and '90s. As a kid, I disliked them pre-empting certain Saturday cartoons(most notably 'Spider-man and his Amazing Friends') for local kids' stuff. It got worse around 1990, when they started pre-empting weekend sports programming seemingly at random to show movies like 'Mahogany'.(At this point, KRON sportscaster Gary Radnich, who also did a radio showon KNBR, would try to commiserate with irate callers who'd missed a basketball game due to the station showing what Radnich always referred to generically as 'a rerun of Cheyenne'!) ;DKRON also was very fullof itself as far as news and documentaries were concerned(a far cry from their bare-bones operation of today!), and often skipped prime-time shows to schedule their local offerings.By 1991, then-independent KOFY channel 20(which had for years cleared CBS game shows pre-empted by KPIX) would pick up these random NBC pre-emptions, advertising channel 20 as 'The place to BE for NBC...when NBC...isn't ON NBC!' Ironically, by the time KRON dropped its NBC affiliation in 2002, they hardly ever pre-empted the network lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRichards
    On WREX (ABC until 1995, now NBC) didn't clear 9am weekday hour, and didn't show All My Children until Fall 1987. They always had the Noon news. Othen than the occasional telethon (Jerry Lewis), or Billy Graham crusade, or anything else, they carried the entire network schedule.
    To my knowledge, ABC has never programmed the 9AM (Central Time) hour.[/quote]You know what, I do stand corrected...I could have sworn at one point that ABC programmed that 9am CT hour, unless I was watching an ABC affiliate airing a delayed network show at the hour. Such a long time ago...

WDTN in Dayton, Ohio, when it was an ABC affiliate (from 1980-2004), didn't carry "General Hospital" at 3pm for approximately 22 of those 24 years. Instead, they aired cartoons until 1987 when they picked up "Hour Magazine" and eventually "Geraldo". In the mid-1990s, WDTN dropped "One Life to Live" at 2pm in favor of more talk show programming, which left Dayton without an avenue to view two of ABC's soaps unless they had an antenna pointed toward Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or Columbus.If memory serves me correctly, WDTN cleared all of ABC Daytime the last year they were affiliated with ABC (I think GH "premiered" the year prior to that), which would have been the first time they did so since being affiliated with ABC. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. WDTN carried all other ABC programming.Also, back in 1987 or 1988, then ABC affiliate, WKRC in nearby Cincinnati didn't carry ABC's Friday night 8:30pm sitcom in favor of "Small Wonder" for a couple years. WRTV in Indianapolis did a similar thing with the 9:30pm slot by carrying "She's the Sheriff" in place of whatever ABC aired.Not many other stations in the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis areas pre-empted weekday programming from the 80s through today except for whatever was scheduled in the noon time slot in the 80s...all stations except for WKEF in Dayton, then an NBC affiliate, carryed news at noon. The only station that comes to mind as far as weekend programming pre-emptions go is WHIO-TV in Dayton, the CBS affiliate. They were pretty notorious for replacing Saturday morning programs in the 80s and 90s. I remember "The Alvin Show" airing at 10:30am instead of the normal CBS children's program for a little while (cleverly placed right after "Alvin and the Chipmunks" at the time on NBC). In the early 90s, WHIO-TV was one of the first stations in the area to air a two hour newscast on Saturday mornings (from 8-10). Instead of not clearing CBS programming during that time, they opted to not run CBS children's programming altogether...putting in it's place Jack Hanna's animal program (the actual name escapes me at the moment) and the locally-produced high school quiz show "Hi-Q" which still runs to this date.

Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast