• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Don Fitzpatrick, RIP

fybush

Administrator
Staff member
You may not recognize the name right away, but if you work in the business, you know (and depend on) the site he created, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tvspy.com>www.tvspy.com</a>.

Don's death was announced today, at the age of 56. Back in the eighties, long before Radio-Info or Inside Radio or NERW were even a gleam in anyone's eye, Don pretty much invented the idea of broadcasting industry message boards and news sites, creating the "Rumorville" (later changed to "ShopTalk") e-mail newsletter way back in 1983.

There's a tribute to him on his site. No word yet on whether ShopTalk, still a daily institution in the industry, will continue.<P ID="signature">______________
Tower Site Calendar 2006 ON SALE! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html#calendar>www.fybush.com</a></P>

> You may not recognize the name right away, but if you work
> in the business, you know (and depend on) the site he
> created, www.tvspy.com.
>
> Don's death was announced today, at the age of 56. Back in
> the eighties, long before Radio-Info or Inside Radio or NERW
> were even a gleam in anyone's eye, Don pretty much invented
> the idea of broadcasting industry message boards and news
> sites, creating the "Rumorville" (later changed to
> "ShopTalk") e-mail newsletter way back in 1983.
>
> There's a tribute to him on his site. No word yet on whether
> ShopTalk, still a daily institution in the industry, will
> continue.
>
Funny thing... I had forgotten my subscription to ShopTalk, and it had stopped for the longest time. Just a few weeks ago, it sprung back into life. Funny how life is...<P ID="signature">______________
"Radio is like musical chairs. When the music stops, I sit down and say something."</P>

> > You may not recognize the name right away, but if you work
> > in the business, you know (and depend on) the site he
> > created, www.tvspy.com.
> > Don's death was announced today, at the age of 56. Back in
> > the eighties, long before Radio-Info or Inside Radio or
> > NERW were even a gleam in anyone's eye, Don pretty much
> > invented the idea of broadcasting industry message boards and news
> > sites, creating the "Rumorville" (later changed to
> > "ShopTalk") e-mail newsletter way back in 1983.
> >
> > There's a tribute to him on his site. No word yet on
> whether ShopTalk, still a daily institution in the industry, will
> > continue.

> Funny thing... I had forgotten my subscription to ShopTalk,
> and it had stopped for the longest time. Just a few weeks
> ago, it sprung back into life. Funny how life is...

Don Fitzpatrick was YEARS ahead of his time with "Rumorville." I still read "Shop Talk" as often as I can; sites like "NewsBlues" and "TV Newser" have Fitz to thank for paving the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom