• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hey New Rumba, Watch half your revenue go bye bye.

cbsrocks

Inactive
Inactive User
Only Danny D. would make a call to blow up the top 5 billing station in miller cap! We all know Danny D. many not be the brightest GM but I can't see Clear Channel blowing up a radio station with great billing to go spanish and bill half the current amount. This move could cost Danny D. his gig.

Hummmmm Now that I think about maybe it's a great move.... Go for it Dan !

> Only Danny D. would make a call to blow up the top 5 billing
> station in miller cap! We all know Danny D. many not be the
> brightest GM but I can't see Clear Channel blowing up a
> radio station with great billing to go spanish and bill half
> the current amount. This move could cost Danny D. his gig.
>
> Hummmmm Now that I think about maybe it's a great move....
> Go for it Dan !
>
I don't think so, havent you seen the orlando station, its doing way better than oldies did and that will probly happen in tampa<P ID="signature">______________
http://natedoggairchecks.6x.to/
sfradio (at) gmail (dot) com</P>

> > Only Danny D. would make a call to blow up the top 5
> billing
> > station in miller cap! We all know Danny D. many not be
> the
> > brightest GM but I can't see Clear Channel blowing up a
> > radio station with great billing to go spanish and bill
> half
> > the current amount. This move could cost Danny D. his gig.
>
> >
> > Hummmmm Now that I think about maybe it's a great move....
>
> > Go for it Dan !
> >
> I don't think so, havent you seen the orlando station, its
> doing way better than oldies did and that will probly happen
> in tampa
>
The problem with MIX is it losing a clear identity. When they blew up STAR, they thought they could tweak MIX to get the Star audience. Clear Channel has very successful AC stations in NYC, LA, Richmond,Orlando, Atlanta, DC, etc. Maybe they need to look at these stations as to the direction MIX ought to go. I just don't see how WWRM could be that formidable. The old Mix with Bobby Rich, Larry London, and Kerry Kirkland had a much more defined personality. At this point, MIX is a mess. Its Hot AC, Modern AC, and a touch of Jack. They need Reggie Jordon or Scott Lindeman to come here and fix this mess.

> doing way better than oldies did and that will probly happen
> in tampa
>

Well, first....it's not oldies that would be replaced here, second....don't forget that the Orlando market has double the hispanic population that the Tampa market has.......that being said, i'm not trying to suggest that it WONT happen. I would suggest that it could be a possibility, but not a certainty.

Spanish language target audience has done nothing but grown (quite a bit) over the last few years, and projections for that trend to continue.....wouldn't be a bad idea move, with the groath prospects.

Rob

> > I don't think so, havent you seen the orlando station, its
>
> > doing way better than oldies did and that will probly
> happen
> > in tampa
> >
>
>
> Well, first....it's not oldies that would be replaced here,
> second....don't forget that the Orlando market has double
> the hispanic population that the Tampa market has.......that
> being said, i'm not trying to suggest that it WONT happen. I
> would suggest that it could be a possibility, but not a
> certainty.
>
> Spanish language target audience has done nothing but grown
> (quite a bit) over the last few years, and projections for
> that trend to continue.....wouldn't be a bad idea move, with
> the groath prospects.
>
> Rob
>
Im not saying that the format its replacing is oldies, just talking about the orlando station
<P ID="signature">______________
http://natedoggairchecks.6x.to/
sfradio (at) gmail (dot) com</P>

not way better

It's doing better than oldies did in Orlando 18-34 certainly but about the same 25-54. Revenue is still a struggle and will be for awhile- that move wasn't made for short-term advantage.

> doing way better than oldies did and that will probly happen in tampa
>

Re: Rumba 98??

Given the problems at WXTB that led to the firings of PD Brian Medlin and morning host Cowhead, might Clear Channel decide to "blow up" WXTB and flip it to Spanish-language programming??

It's no secret that rock radio (the format of WXTB) is in a serious decline and many stations over the last couple of years have abandoned the format. In Dallas, a rock station owned by CC was flipped to Soft AC (but in turn wa flipped to Spanish a year and a half later). In Philadelphia, Radio One flipped a rock station to urban. And there are other examples. Even if it weren't for "L'Affaire Cowhead", it's possible that CC might flip WXTB anyway at some point, given that the station's 12-plus numbers (and probably also in target demos) are in the middle of the pack.

Some have suggested that Adult Contemproary-formatted WMTX be flipped to Spanish. While it's overall numbers are lower than WXTB, WMTX's target is women between 25 and 54, the prime demographic in advertising. It's possible that due to the fact it targets the prime adult female demographics, WMTX may actually be making more money than WXTB.

Although a thousand miles away from all this, I'd guess that if CC were to flip a Tampa Bay FM station to Spanish, it would probably be WXTB and not WMTX. This way, they would keep a station that despite it's numbers probably makes a decent amount of revenue from advertisers wishing to reach the much-in-demand "soccer mom" demographic, and they "blow up" a rock station that has probably seen better days in terms of both ratings and revenues, and that lately has been giving CC problems.

"Rumba 98", anyone???

If it were up to me (as if) I would move US 103.5 to 97.9. IIRC it's a stronger signal. Then I would soften Mix to try to clip some audience from Magic and Dove. That leaves 103.5 open for La Preciosa (sp).

My 2 cents...

Scarecrow 7 commented:

> If it were up to me (as if) I would move US 103.5 to 97.9.
> IIRC it's a stronger signal. Then I would soften Mix to try
> to clip some audience from Magic and Dove. That leaves
> 103.5 open for La Preciosa (sp).

I thought La Presciosa was mostly Mexican music, and I think most of the Hispanics in Florida were of Cuban, Central American, or Puerto Rican ancestry, with only a relatively small number of Mexicans.

If you plan to play in radio, learn about renenue vs ratings or you will continue to play in the radio board.

> > I don't think so, havent you seen the orlando station, its
>
> > doing way better than oldies did and that will probly
> happen
> > in tampa
> >
>
>
> Well, first....it's not oldies that would be replaced here,
> second....don't forget that the Orlando market has double
> the hispanic population that the Tampa market has.......that
> being said, i'm not trying to suggest that it WONT happen. I
> would suggest that it could be a possibility, but not a
> certainty.
>
> Spanish language target audience has done nothing but grown
> (quite a bit) over the last few years, and projections for
> that trend to continue.....wouldn't be a bad idea move, with
> the groath prospects.
>
> Rob
>

> If it were up to me (as if) I would move US 103.5 to 97.9.
> IIRC it's a stronger signal. Then I would soften Mix to try
> to clip some audience from Magic and Dove. That leaves
> 103.5 open for La Preciosa (sp).
>
> My 2 cents...
>

Sure... re-locate a station you've just spent a year re-branding... Come on! We've been over this many times on this board. Both signals are on equal ground when it comes to covering Tampa Bay metro. The only one that should be moving to a better signal is 97X. By the way, if WXTB went Spanish, Cox would control the entire rock radio market... that in itself is scary and something I doubt will happen.

Re: Amor 97.9?

> Scarecrow 7 commented:
>
> > If it were up to me (as if) I would move US 103.5 to 97.9.
>
> > IIRC it's a stronger signal. Then I would soften Mix to
> try
> > to clip some audience from Magic and Dove. That leaves
> > 103.5 open for La Preciosa (sp).
>
> I thought La Presciosa was mostly Mexican music, and I think
> most of the Hispanics in Florida were of Cuban, Central
> American, or Puerto Rican ancestry, with only a relatively
> small number of Mexicans.
>
Yes, a small and transient population. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Spanish Love Song station. This would allow all of the nationalities to sample the station throughout the day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom