• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Show Prep...How much time per show

W

wattagecottage

Hmmmm, haven't seen any action on here for a long time.As a jock I wonder how much time do others allot to show prep per shift.And are you heavy on local info?
I tend to do a hour to two for a shift= 4 hrs...How about you? <P ID="signature">______________
I've been listening to your show on the radio, and you seem like a friend to meeeeeeeee</P>

I generally put 3-6 hours of show prep in my 3 hr radio show.
up at our college we get to play whatever the hell we want on our 3000 watt college station WWLR 91.5 the impulse up in vt

> Hmmmm, haven't seen any action on here for a long time.As a
> jock I wonder how much time do others allot to show prep per
> shift.And are you heavy on local info?
> I tend to do a hour to two for a shift= 4 hrs...How about
> you?
>

Ever since I put my "My Yahoo!" page together, including bookmarks to all my favorite prep sites, it takes me about one and a half to two hours to do prep for a three hour shift.

Re: Show Prep...

"My Yahoo" has been my secret weapon, also. I have been asked how I know things...I respond I'm a "readaholic"...When prepping for a "10-in-a-row" (pre-programmed) music show, I might take an hour or two...when doing a talkshow, I prep "all the time" (after the last show).I try to go with what my audience will respond to (locally, nationally...whatever).

Between an hour and two hours for a four hour music show. The one hour new music show takes more time because we're finding and editting our own music.

When I'm on the internet, I'm constantly prepping. I'll use anything that I think might work. Actual prep time: minimum 4 hours a day (I'm doing 2 shows a day)

I'd have to say I do the same thing. I'll file things away (both on my computer and in my mind) if I think my audience will find them interesting. The My Yahoo! page lets me get to those things faster while I'm on the air.

I'll spend maybe 15 minutes printing info from the main sites I use, then I'll prep as I go during the show. I found out that it can be much easier on me to prep as I go instead of getting a ton of information that I won't even use. Besides, I use prep services, so it's all there for me.

Oh! We're being honest?! ;DIn that case, I prep for about 20 minutes a day. The time it takes to glean everything I can use from The Complete Sheet. Best prep service I've ever had and the ONLY one I need.

For a one hour call-in sports show, I tend to prep for about three hours or so during the week, and then another hour before the start of the show. I do tend to be a bit compulsive though. Hey, is there a prep service out there that covers sports talk, or should I do as I have been doing and hit ESPN, CNNSI, the papers, etc?

Show prep constantly...things that happen everyday at the grocery store what you see at the stop light, the little league game, commercials on tv. Everything is show prep.

I have a one hour talk show that airs Saturday night. I'm always on the lookout for news stories or topics to use on my show, but generally I spend about 3-4 hours actually researching news stories from various newspapers, magazines that include news and science types. I'll then spend another hour to two hours writing notes on my thoughts as I'll prepare two, sometimes three topics to be discussed. I generally get 4-5 calls per show and I want to be sure to have enough material to cover the entire hour without having to keep repeating the same stuff over and over. Some talk shows have one topic for the hour and if they don't get many calls, they beat your ear on that one topic, essentally repeating themselves over and over again for that entire hour, which to my ear gets boring. Included in this five- six hours of prep, I also come up with a trivia question for that evening's show. My show's general format tends to be my analysis and commentary on the week's events both local (Wilmington Delaware) and national by me mixed in with calls from the listeners.

What may make my talk show a bit different is that I'm a registered Independent. So I don't have an axe to grind in favor of any particular political party or specific political philosophy like liberal or conservative. Some weeks I may favor a position by the Democrats, the next week I may favor a position by the Republicans as it depends on the specific issue and what each group has proposed, etc.

Show prep is a never ending thing. A small notebook should be along side at all times for taking notes to be used later. One caveat, show prep is a wonderful thing but use it sparingly and wisely. Nothing drives a listener away like a jock reading a long piece from the news wire or the internet just to have something to read. It's all about conveying a thought in the fewest words possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom