• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What's on Dec. 24 and 25?

R

radiophile

The post below about tracking Santa, and one response saying that hardly any stations will be live Dec. 24 night, has me wondering:

What is your station(s) doing Dec.24 and 25?

Does your news/talk station break format for 36 hours of Christmas music?

Does your music station, that normally only uses automation midnight-6AM automate for 30 to 36 hours to give people a day off?

And what about Dec. 26? Most people will have Monday off because Dec. 25 is a Sunday. Anything different/special on Dec. 26?

If there was a severe weather emergency between 6 PM Dec. 24 and 6 AM Dec. 26, would your station be staffed to handle it?

> The post below about tracking Santa, and one response saying
> that hardly any stations will be live Dec. 24 night, has me
> wondering:
>
> What is your station(s) doing Dec.24 and 25?
>
> Does your news/talk station break format for 36 hours of
> Christmas music?
>
> Does your music station, that normally only uses automation
> midnight-6AM automate for 30 to 36 hours to give people a
> day off?
>
> And what about Dec. 26? Most people will have Monday off
> because Dec. 25 is a Sunday. Anything different/special on
> Dec. 26?
>
> If there was a severe weather emergency between 6 PM Dec. 24
> and 6 AM Dec. 26, would your station be staffed to handle
> it?
>

620 WTMJ Milwaukee (News/Talk)
Syndicated "A Christmas Festival Of Music" Think they run this off CD loop. Local news live. Goes to sports programming by the evening.

890 WLS Chicago (News/Talk)
Live From Walt Disney World christmas specials. Bird

1130 WISN Milwaukee (News/Talk)
Locally programmed Christmas music and old time radio shows of the Christmas theme. Probably VTed.

1400 WRJN Racine (News/Talk)
Runs Christmas From Walt Disney World programming off the bird.

99.1 WMYX Milwaukee (Christmas during the season, Hot AC normally)
Automated (jockless) Christmas music. Regular music programming (with Christmas songs thrown in for about a week after Christmas) returns at 1AM (The last 2 years they did fake format flips at 12 to trick board posters) Overnights is normally VTed.

94.5 WKTI Milwaukee (Hot AC)
Automated (jockless) Christmas music till 12AM. Then back to normal programming (automated jockless till 5AM)

103.7 WXSS Milwaukee (CHR/Rhythmic)
Regular CHR programming with some Christmas songs thrown in. Part timers on the air live. Station doesn't automate.

1050 WLIP Kenosha (Oldies from ABC)
Regular programming. ABC Oldies Radio most likely does all Christmas.

I don't work for any of these stations but this is what I know.

<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> The post below about tracking Santa, and one response saying
> that hardly any stations will be live Dec. 24 night, has me
> wondering:
>
> What is your station(s) doing Dec.24 and 25?
>
> Does your news/talk station break format for 36 hours of
> Christmas music?
>
> Does your music station, that normally only uses automation
> midnight-6AM automate for 30 to 36 hours to give people a
> day off?
>
> And what about Dec. 26? Most people will have Monday off
> because Dec. 25 is a Sunday. Anything different/special on
> Dec. 26?
>
> it?
>

102.3 WSUS Franklin does commercial free Christmas music with no jocks all day Christmas Day.

103.7 WNNJ Newton throws in some Christmas tunes with regular format right through the holidays. I think there are jocks on, but they're probably voice tracked.

1360 WNNJ Newton does all Christmas Christmas Eve/Day.

710 WOR New York does all Christmas on Christmas Day, not sure about Eve though.

104.7 WSPK Poughkeepsie does all Christmas for a period of time on Christmas Eve/Day.

103.1 WGNY Newburgh will run the Walt Disney World Christmas special.

In general a good amount of stations does a special thing on the 24th and 25th.

We're going from voice-tracked Christmas music from ABC to live Christmas music from ABC....

Boxing Day and the 2nd we'll close the office, though I'll be there both days.
Been remodeling -s-l-o-w-l-y, for the last few months, good day to get some projects done.

After Christmas music since Thanksgiving, if I suggested we track Santa, the air folks would show up Christmas eve with fully-armed Stingers...! ;-)

Where I work...all automated. Should severe wx occur (unlikely but I do remember 60 degrees and a tornado watch one Christmas in the 80s)EAS will handle it.

Stations I know about based on past performance.

700 WLW. may air the Dusty Rhodes Christmas Countdown, and a special Christmas edition of the American Trucker Radio Network. The newsroom will be staffed as usual, with news at the top and bottom of the hour. Christmas day may include recorded specials with the regular morning host, Jim Scott, and the "Bill Cunningham Christmas Special" (which suposedly comes from a big party held at Cunningham's house, but I'm sure its theatre of the mind). More Christmas music and they'll probably cap things off with Bill Boshears and the "Psy Zone". Monday more than likely Darryl Parks will fill in on the 9-12noon shift.

1530 WCKY..hard to say with the format flip to libtalk. Last year was Dusty Rhodes Christmas.

1290 WHIO, Dayton. Last year the Disney Christmas special and several others. Christmas Day has been the only day of the year without "Miami Valley's Early Morning News"..but with Christmas on Sunday more than likely they'll have the news show Monday morning.

Dayton CC cluster...automated and voice tracked Christmas music Christmas eve,
into regular music sometime Christmas day. WXEG (alternative) and WTUE (Active Rock) will probably keep the regular format.

WMOJ, Mojo 94.9, Cincinnati..regular format with interspersed rhythmic Christmas tunes.
<P ID="signature">______________
Classic Christmas Jingle

http://www.thebig8.net/merry_christmas_from_cklw.mp3</P>

> it?
>
Fully Automated off satellite here...just like usual. But also as usual, people could be brought in to handle breaking news/severe weather.

If there is no one at all around to potentially be on-call, your station is being managed poorly IMO.

In past years, news/talk WBAL 1090 Baltimore has gone with Christmas music on CD from 6 pm Christmas Eve to 12:01 am Dec. 26, with live local news at the top of the hour. I don't know if they will do it this year. I also don't know if they will carry Bears/Packers at 5:00 et via Westwood One. WBAL won't carry Ravens/Vikings at 8:30 et because the Ravens flagships are WQSR 102.7 and WJFK 1300.

ixnay

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom