• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WXRV-FM 92.5 - Selling Price

J

jetman71

Here's a question I would like to throw out to those that might be willing to provide their thoughts. What do you think the price would have to be to get the fellow that owns the license for WXRV-FM 92.5 to sell it?

Given that it's a "rimshot" that does not have a strong signal south of Boston (and maybe a marginal signal in Boston itself), WXRV-92.5 would probably fetch $50-$60 million. A major problem for WXRV reception south of Boston is Providence's WPRO-92.3. And thanks to "Pro FM", I doubt WXRV's transmitter can be moved any closer to Boston.

But if you're thinking that someone will buy WXRV to flip it to classical, that owner will also have to buy a station to the south of Boston to be able to cover the entire market. Plymouth's WPLM-99.1 would be the ideal simulcast partner for WXRV, as the two signals together would cover the entire market---WXRV for the area north of Boston, WPLM for Boston and points south.

I doubt both could be purchased for a combined sale price that would be less than a single class "B" FM station in Boston itself.

WXRV will not be sold any time soon, and there are no plans for any sale.
The River IS moving it's transmitter 8 miles SW to Andover

Given that it's a "rimshot" that does not have a strong
> signal south of Boston (and maybe a marginal signal in
> Boston itself), WXRV-92.5 would probably fetch $50-$60
> million. A major problem for WXRV reception south of Boston
> is Providence's WPRO-92.3. And thanks to "Pro FM", I doubt
> WXRV's transmitter can be moved any closer to Boston.
>
> But if you're thinking that someone will buy WXRV to flip it
> to classical, that owner will also have to buy a station to
> the south of Boston to be able to cover the entire market.
> Plymouth's WPLM-99.1 would be the ideal simulcast partner
> for WXRV, as the two signals together would cover the entire
> market---WXRV for the area north of Boston, WPLM for Boston
> and points south.
>
> I doubt both could be purchased for a combined sale price
> that would be less than a single class "B" FM station in
> Boston itself.
> <P ID="signature">______________
Norm Rosen
</P>

> WXRV will not be sold any time soon, and there are no plans
> for any sale.
> The River IS moving it's transmitter 8 miles SW to Andover
>
>

I have heard that they are moving their COL to Andover but their transmitter will remain in Haverhill. I am sure someone can confirm this.

and they will never move out of that building. its a landmark for haverhill. for those of us who've been inside, its a great building with a pretty cool radio history. is the neon sign with the call letters still broken and on the building? get the town to pay for it!

> > WXRV will not be sold any time soon, and there are no
> plans
> > for any sale.
> > The River IS moving it's transmitter 8 miles SW to Andover
>
> >
> >
>
> I have heard that they are moving their COL to Andover but
> their transmitter will remain in Haverhill. I am sure
> someone can confirm this.
>

Speaking of Haverhill radio.....Is Ed Cetlin still alive? ANyone care to post any great Cetlin stories? He is/was quite a character.

Speaking of Haverhill radio.....Is Ed Cetlin still alive? ANyone care to post any great Cetlin stories? He is/was quite a character.

My mother worked there as a copywriter, and I remember her stories. Two sets of books, one for the auditor, and then the real one.

When he got his vasectomy, it was not a secret. He would groan when he dropped something, and would ask the female employees to pick up things for him.

He would swear, "on my baby's life" and he would be lying.

For one of his several marriages (his third, I think), he introduced his latest fiancee (soon-to-be-wife) to someone as, "Ella, Bella, Della, whatever."

Tom Bergeron would come and go, and whenever he came back Cetlin would fire whoever he had hired as his replacement. (Not surprising.)

Although he was believed to be very crooked, what lost him his station FCC license was relatively minor. The FCC started requiring that you had minorities or women in positions of management. He named one of his employees, "Assistant to the Manager" without changing any duties.

There may have been other stories, but these are the ones I remember.

Although he was believed to be very crooked, what lost him his station FCC license was relatively minor. The FCC started requiring that you had minorities or women in positions of management.

I recall he was forced into a 'distress sale' after charges of double-billing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom