• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio billboard advertising question

Near the Delaware 896 exit on Interstate 95 in Newark, DE is a billboard for Sunny 104 FM in Philadelphia.

This interchange is *40 miles* from Center City Philadelphia.

Are there any other stations that rent billboards this far (or farther) from the city of license? Probably plenty. :) Especially if the COL is a large market.

ixnay

> Near the Delaware 896 exit on Interstate 95 in Newark, DE is
> a billboard for Sunny 104 FM in Philadelphia.
>
> This interchange is *40 miles* from Center City
> Philadelphia.
>
> Are there any other stations that rent billboards this far
> (or farther) from the city of license? Probably plenty. :)
> Especially if the COL is a large market.
>
> ixnay
>
Numerous Chicago stations advertise on billboards along I-94, just outside of Kenosha Wisconsin. One billboard that tends to get advertised a lot around there is for The Drive out of Chicago. It usually will say:
The Drive Now Loud & Clear on 96.9. Or you might find it saying 97.1 Fuzzy, Try 96.9 The Drive.
97.1 in Chicago is the only city grade signal that doesn't cover the entire market, so the station simulcasts on 96.9. licensed to Zion Illinois, which not only covers the northern suburbs of Chicago, but also Milwaukee & the south suburbs of Milwaukee. So The Drive billboards have been posted around Franksville Wisconsin too, which is outside of Racine, and I think once I saw one in Milwaukee County too around Oak Creek.

Back in the early seventies, I saw a Billboard for WAPE a little south of Savannah, Georgia. It was many miles from Jax (60?). It said,

WAPE 690 Jacksonville
500 miles of music

It showed a display of a flat road with a sunrise or sunset.

I was able to receive WAPE in the daytime as far north as Wilmington, NC.

> Near the Delaware 896 exit on Interstate 95 in Newark, DE is
> a billboard for Sunny 104 FM in Philadelphia.
>
> This interchange is *40 miles* from Center City
> Philadelphia.
>
>
> ixnay
>
<P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

> > Near the Delaware 896 exit on Interstate 95 in Newark, DE
> is
> > a billboard for Sunny 104 FM in Philadelphia.
> >
> > This interchange is *40 miles* from Center City
> > Philadelphia.
> >
> > Are there any other stations that rent billboards this far
>
> > (or farther) from the city of license?
Q95 (94.7 FM Indianapolis) rents billboards 40 miles from Indy in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, the local school corporation has the billboard next to it. They've rented that particular spot every time I've driven by in the last ... 3 years I guess.

Seattle's 93.3 KUBE once put up a billboard in Portland, Oregon to promote, of all things, their web stream (this was before Portland had a CHR/Rhythmic station).
As I understand, this was when both the station and the billboard was owned by Ackerly Communications.<P ID="signature">______________
Jason97... regularly contributing on the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.radio-info.com/mods/posts?Board=oregon>Oregon</a> Board.</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom