Thread: Prorating add rates

Prorating add rates

I live and own a business in Pensacola, FL. Our local market consist of twelve 100KW stations all pretty much targeting the Mobile, AL market and one class A that covers only Pensacola. The class A plays urban music and I've never been able to make money off of minorities, so it isn't an option.
    The 100kw FMs cover 7 counties in Alabama, 3 counties in Mississippi, and 3 counties in Florida. My business only serves the 3 counties in Florida. Should I have any expectation of getting a salesman to lower his rates based on this or am I basically locked out of advertising on FM?
    Poledo

middlega

Re: Prorating add rates

> Should I have any expectation of getting a salesman to lower his rates based
    > on this

None whatsoever as far as I can see.
    (trying to come up with an analogy here ... hmm)

It's sort of like going to the grocery store to buy stuff for Thanksgiving dinner.
    You see this beautiful turkey ... but only 3 of the 10 people who'll be at the dinner are meat eaters, the rest are strict vegetarians, so only 3 of the 10 people will be able to make use of the turkey. Still, the grocery store is not going to cut the price on the bird just because everyone at your dinner can't enjoy it.

Okay, as analogies go that was a bit of a reach, but hopefully you get the idea.

Meanwhile, I count 16 FM's (only 1 Urban) pulling a 1.0 or better in the 12+ ratings for Pensacola. Perhaps you're overlooking a station that would be priced affordably AND that would still deliver enough audience to make advertising cost efficient for you. Depends on your target demo & other factors, but seems worth digging a little deeper into the possibilities IMO.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by middlega on 11/29/05 07:07 PM.</FONT></P>

How many markets with a population over 250,000 have only one local FM?

> > Should I have any expectation of getting a salesman to
    > lower his rates based
    > > on this
    >
    > None whatsoever as far as I can see.

Thanks for the response. It's what I expected to hear.

I knew that it wasn't possible to "deal" with over-the-air TV stations but Cable only adds make up for that.

All of the radio salesmen I've dealt with act like used car salesmen. That gives me the feeling that I may be able to play hardball and get a bargain.

> Meanwhile, I count 16 FM's (only 1 Urban) pulling a 1.0 or
    > better in the 12+ ratings for Pensacola. Perhaps you're
    > overlooking a station that would be priced affordably AND
    > that would still deliver enough audience to make advertising
    > cost efficient for you. Depends on your target demo & other
    > factors, but seems worth digging a little deeper into the
    > possibilities IMO.

The other FMs are from the Fort Walton market. They cover all the way to Panama City, which is 100 miles away from my customers. Their add rates are much better, but their ratings in my target area are also very low. Been there, done that, not worth it.

How many markets with a population over 250,000 have only one local FM?
    Poledo

Re: How many markets with a population over 250,000 have only one local FM?

Have you thought about AM? I'm not sure what your business is, but it looks like you have a good News/Talker which could deliver well-qualified prospects.

AM works better than some people would ever imagine. It may be worth a shot.