• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Music monitor of 107.9 The End (WENZ/Cleveland): 1993

R

RobynWatts

I was going through some of my old tapes and found a composite of WENZ/Cleveland from the spring of 1993. I'd thought it would be fun to post a list of songs that was played in each daypart just to give an idea what was played on Modern Rock radio 12 years ago.

(Mornings Drive-Brian & Joe)

Men Without Hats- The Safety Dance
Midnight Oil-Outbreak Of Love

(Brian & Joe then launch into a bit called "Chainsaw Trivia", then news)

(Middays-Marina Ferrina)

Goo Goo Dolls-Fall Down
Black 47-Funky Ceili
(legal ID)
Duran Duran-Ordinary World
Tears For Fears-Break It Down Again
Billy Idol-White Wedding
Spin Doctors-How Could You Want Him (When You Know You Could Have Me)
(stopset)
Blind Mellon-No Rain
Beloved-Sweet Harmony
Smithereens-A Girl Like You
(stopset)
Depeche Mode-Just Can't Get Enough
Pearl Jam-Crazy Mary

(Afternoons-Rick Michaels)

The Payolias-Eyes Of A Stranger
Love & Rockets-So Alive
Tripping Daisy-My Umbrella
Soul Asylum-Black Gold
Blind Mellon-No Rain
Nirvana-In Bloom
(stopset)
Biork-Human Behaviour
(legal ID)
Stereo MC's-Step It Up
Diesel-The Tip Of My Tongue
Ocean Blue-Between Something And Nothing
U2-Lemon

(Nights-Hurricane Wayne)

(stopset)
Duran Duran-Shotgun/Come Undone
Suede-Metal Mickey
Arrested Development-Tennessee
Kerosene-Worthless
(legal ID)
Living Colour-Nothingness
Big Audio Dynamite-E=MC2
Dinosaur Jr.-Start Choppin
Spin Doctors-Two Princes
(stopset)
Terence Trent D'Arby-Delicate
New Order-Regret
Ramones-I Wanna Be Sedated

Robyn

<P ID="signature">______________
"I'm not exactly in the mood for Mozart and all that kinda goings on"...Information Society-"Peace and Love Incorporated"</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RobynWatts on 10/13/05 12:52 PM.</FONT></P>

This is an amazing playlist! Really cool seeing what Modern Rock looked like 20 years ago. WENZ really had a great sound as The End when it first came on.

Some great memories there. Most modern rock stations that existed prior to the grunge movement of the early 90s really did not go full-force into it. It was really the alternative stations that cropped up from about 1993-on that were initially more grunge heavy.

Love seeing the likes of Suede and Arrested Development on this list!

Jacko

Still my favorite!

I remember the day WENZ came on the air- "It's the End of the World as We Know it" played all day. My life was never the same (okay, maybe a little overdramatic!). Music was never the same though. I've been on a quest the past few years, trying to compile as many songs from The End that year. I call it "The Year of the Gecko." I even had a t-shirt with the Gecko on it. I still have it somewhere, although it's falling apart, so I don't wear it anymore. But oh, how I wore that shirt, ALL. THE. TIME. Modern rock for many years lost it's variety. The Beloved with Nirvanna? And the Arrested Development, and Tears for Fears? Fortunately, modern rock is gaining some variety now, but nothing will compare to 1993 on The End! (Yes, that is a Sinead O'Connor nod). I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else might remember. Catherine Wheel: Crank? Dink (I can't think of the name of that song right now). Course of Empire: Infested. The Indians: Angels. Sigh...

Yes, Green Mind. I have that, and Angels. I also was able to get Helicopter Man. That was pretty obscure. Anyone know of the song Crying Mussel?

Or how about this song, with the following lyrics?

"This time, I know what to do
Gotta be careful when living with you."

"Don't try to run away
Bridges burn you gotta cross someday"

"I could crack anytime
I could just lose my mind" (this is the chorus)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom