• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Creative Underwriting

danielbritt

Inactive
Inactive User
Dan O'Day gave out this audio link in his recent advertising newsletter:
http://www.danoday.com/BrianKelley.mp3

It's a creative "reverse psychology" type spot.

My question is: While leaving out call-to-action, could a similar conversation type underwriting spot air legally on a non comm?

(And while on the subject), What have been the most creative sounding underwriting spots you've heard?

-Daniel

> Dan O'Day gave out this audio link in his recent advertising
> newsletter:
> http://www.danoday.com/BrianKelley.mp3
>
> It's a creative "reverse psychology" type spot.
>
> My question is: While leaving out call-to-action, could a
> similar conversation type underwriting spot air legally on a
> non comm?
>
> (And while on the subject), What have been the most creative
> sounding underwriting spots you've heard?
>
> -Daniel
>

I have heard a similar spot on a non-comm, promoting a TV show that was sort of a talent content for local artists that sing the same kind of music the non-comm plays. The spot doesn't exactly tell listeners to watch the show, but uses the "friendly conversation" format to clearly indicate the time and channel, and (IMO) attempt to make the TV show sound compelling to the radio listener.
I didn't believe that it really crossed the line, but I could see how overly extensive use of this technique could cause underwriting spots to become longer, and the longer they get, it seems, the more easily listeners and FCC can perceive something to be a commercial. So I think this is okay for stations to use now and then, but not as an everyday approach.

If it is for a commercial entity, the FCC has cited that this type of announcement is not permitted. Their citations focussed on the the limitations of underwriting messages to identify, not promote. I agree with your comments on the longer the message, the more likely it will get flagged.

However, in the example given in the original post, the "business" seems like it is a government agency. This would technically be permitted to air, if that is the case. However, once a station airs commercials for non-profits, while legal, if it becomes prevalent, it could call into question the nature of the station's non-commercial service, which again, can get it into trouble. Thus, the station needs to be careful.

> I have heard a similar spot on a non-comm, promoting a TV
> show that was sort of a talent content for local artists
> that sing the same kind of music the non-comm plays. The
> spot doesn't exactly tell listeners to watch the show, but
> uses the "friendly conversation" format to clearly indicate
> the time and channel, and (IMO) attempt to make the TV show
> sound compelling to the radio listener.
> I didn't believe that it really crossed the line, but I
> could see how overly extensive use of this technique could
> cause underwriting spots to become longer, and the longer
> they get, it seems, the more easily listeners and FCC can
> perceive something to be a commercial. So I think this is
> okay for stations to use now and then, but not as an
> everyday approach.

RadioMike is correct. Reverse psychology may not be used to circumvent the non-com regulations. Calls to action may be used, but only in ads for non-profit groups such as the Girl Scouts of America, the EPA, any state or federal agency, service or event by a non profit group or agency. Countless 'third-person' scripting has been rejected by the Commission.

-ee

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom