• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

My Two Cents

W

wxctintern

In the post below about WREF having dead air or no audio, Turntable said it is unexceptable for a station to have no audio for 5 hours. What if the problem is beyond the station's control? What do I mean? I recall one time back in February 2004 990 The X was off the air for more than 12 hours becuase a squirrel ate some wires at the CL&P Substation about a mile from the station. There was no power in that end of town for 12 hours and the station doesn't have a back up generator.

In November 2004 a tanker truck delivering gas to a gas station not far from that radio station spilled quite a bit of fuel. As a precaution power to that end of town was cut at 8:58AM and the station went off the air for a few hours. Again no generator at the station.

Both of these situations were beyond the control of the radio station.

> In the post below about WREF having dead air or no audio,
> Turntable said it is unexceptable for a station to have no
> audio for 5 hours. What if the problem is beyond the
> station's control? What do I mean? I recall one time back in
> February 2004 990 The X was off the air for more than 12
> hours becuase a squirrel ate some wires at the CL&P
> Substation about a mile from the station. There was no power
> in that end of town for 12 hours and the station doesn't
> have a back up generator.
>
> In November 2004 a tanker truck delivering gas to a gas
> station not far from that radio station spilled quite a bit
> of fuel. As a precaution power to that end of town was cut
> at 8:58AM and the station went off the air for a few hours.
> Again no generator at the station.
>
> Both of these situations were beyond the control of the
> radio station.
>

Agreed. Sometimes it is simply out of the station's control.
<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> Agreed. Sometimes it is simply out of the station's control.
>

if they had a backup generator it wouldn't have been a problem... we have enough fuel on hand to run our 3 station cluster (including 1 on site xmitter) for 2 days and our site generator will run 2 xmitters for 36 hours.

and were in an unrated market...

Different owners have different priorities. The new owners Davidson Media (relatively new... it's been 1 year now) will more than likely invest in a generator before winter. They understand what's important and give the management the right tools (i.e. necessary tools) to make/keep the station successful.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> Different owners have different priorities. The new owners
> Davidson Media (relatively new... it's been 1 year now) will
> more than likely invest in a generator before winter. They
> understand what's important and give the management the
> right tools (i.e. necessary tools) to make/keep the station
> successful.
>

Is Davidson all leasing on the stations? or how do they run the stations programming wise.

As you know, two of them were recently purchased in Springfield by Davidson.

AFAIK, They are in-house with Springfield and now Southington (mostly...there are still some brokers). <P ID="signature">______________

</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom