• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Great American Radio Show

Jay_F

Inactive
Inactive User
Does anybody remember a syndicated show in the late 70s/early 80s called "The great American radio show". It was a countdown of the Radio and Records AOR chart. It was hosted by Michael Harrison, now famous with Talkers magazine.

Great American Radio Show & Restaurant

Well, it did exist. However the real "Great American Radio Show", was with Wally George, heard on KKLA Los Angeles, KIQQ and then on KLAC Los Angeles. Wally even had his own Great American Restaurant, that I understand wasn't so great? Mike Harrison as I knew him, always gave me Gas

> Does anybody remember a syndicated show in the late
> 70s/early 80s called "The great American radio show". It was
> a countdown of the Radio and Records AOR chart. It was
> hosted by Michael Harrison, now famous with Talkers
> magazine.
>

Re: Great American Radio Show & Restaurant

> Well, it did exist. However the real "Great American Radio
> Show", was with Wally George, heard on KKLA Los Angeles,
> KIQQ and then on KLAC Los Angeles. Wally even had his own
> Great American Restaurant, that I understand wasn't so
> great? Mike Harrison as I knew him, always gave me Gas

Don't forget KIKF "Kick FM" in Orange County. Someone happened to find a reel over at the Astor compound of the show and took the tape home. I was able to obtain a copy, and I'll tell you that it is an interesting show. It includes some interesting country songs as well.<P ID="signature">______________

Member of the Los Angeles, Phoenix Radio, and California TV moderation team</P>

Re: Great American Radio Show & Restaurant

I did forget KIKF!. It's been so long ago. KIKF never made it into the SF Valley, so I missed those broadcasts. I remember the first time seeing KDOC. We had a TV at KIIS on the 19th floor of the "CNN" building. They played Kung Fu movies every night.
> Don't forget KIKF "Kick FM" in Orange County. Someone
> happened to find a reel over at the Astor compound of the
> show and took the tape home. I was able to obtain a copy,
> and I'll tell you that it is an interesting show. It
> includes some interesting country songs as well.
>

The Great American Radio Show syndicated broadcast that I remember aired on a Rockford, IL rock station at 10 p.m. on Sunday nights. It was a 2 hour countdown of the top 20 album related hits hosted by Mike Harrison. During the late 70s, disco dominated the pop charts. This program highlighted the music of traditional rock bands like Supertramp, Van Halen, and even Charlie Daniels. Many of the tracks included clips of live interviews with musicians like Dave Roth (David Lee Roth) of Van Halen and John Helliwell of Supertramp. I used to tape 90 minutes of the show on my 8-track recorder, the listen to it over and over again until it was time for the next show. I would tape over the previous week’s show (rats!)

... I used to tape 90 minutes of the show on my 8-track recorder, then listen to it over and over again until it was time to record the next show. I would tape over the previous week’s show (rats!) and repeat until the program was dropped by my local station. Before the internet, it was a chore trying to find a station that was playing the show and the time slot it was given. I bumped into it from time to time, but was never able to be a regular listener any more. The local syndicate station must have had a hard time selling advertising on the program. They had fake commercials for products like Panther Pilsner Beer—this stuff tastes like Panther Pi-lsner Beer—and the burger place where you really are the chief at Justice Warren Burgers. Jeff Greenfield(?) was a regular guest commentator. They also had a toll free Great American Squawk Line where you could drop a comment about anything. I remember a guy talking about his concerns about 3 Mile Island. I still regret failing to save my last 8-track tape of the show. Now, it could easily be transferred to an audio file. I would love to have an audio file of any of the Great American Radio Show programs. Alas, I cannot find anything on Amazon, YouTube, or eBay. I would love to hear repeats of this program on Sirius-XM, or elsewhere. This show was much better than Kasey’s Top 40.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom