• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1 Jack-FM - My Take

D

DiamondJoe

As your humble moderator, my two cents:

You knew it was coming to New York, eventually... It all counted on who would be the sacrificial lamb...

Personally, given all the run that Jack got all over the country, I figured New York would not see it until the fall, at the earliest. That's why New York is a market of its own...

Many would argue that WNEW should have been the one to get Jacked. Not true. Let them have fun battling with WKTU with their own style of dance music. Then in a year from now, one of them, if not both (I still predict both at some point) will flip to Hurban, if not a derivative of the format.

I still think it's weird - this morning, Micky Dolenz celebrated his 100th show... Wonder if he will ever do show "101"? Speaking of personalities, I wonder who they'll hire... bring back from Mix 105 or even WPIX-FM retreads?

Edited to add: As far as Jack's long-term sucess... I can imagine there could be a slight uptick on the beaches... Just like the Christmas format, starting small in the malls... Whether it could sustain for a year or so, well, given that this is New York, and not Portland, Maine, there could be oppression ratings-wise. But it sounds great! (selective sarcasm)

This is all so surreal, but give it time... It just might work...
<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

> > I still think it's weird - this morning, Micky Dolenz
> celebrated his 100th show... Wonder if he will ever do show
> "101"? Speaking of personalities, I wonder who they'll
> hire... bring back from Mix 105 or even WPIX-FM retreads?
>
> This is all so surreal, but give it time... It just might
> work...
>
> DJ
>

So, where do I send my stuff to? Contact name/address? Thanks...

The Rick

From FMQB: CBS-FM to live as internet station

Infinity Launches Jack In New York City & Chicago

(Edited to include the source of the story.)

Infinity launched the Jack format in New York City and Chicago today. WCBS-FM in New York City made the switch at 5 p.m. ET, kicking off the new programming with "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" by the Beastie Boys. In Chicago, WJMK-FM launched Jack at 4 p.m. CT.
The WCBS-FM Oldies format will continue to exist as an online radio station (www.wcbsfm.com). WJMK-FM will also transfer its Oldies format online at www.WJMK.com.

"New York deserves a radio station that is equally as eclectic as its listener's personalities and attitudes," said WCBS-FM VP/GM Chad Brown. "Jack-FM promises to be unlike anything currently heard in the market. Others have tried to imitate the Jack format, but time and again it has been proven that the success of the format is achieved by fully committing to its objectives and delivering a completely new and unique product. We look forward to changing the landscape of the New York radio market."

Among the different artists heard on WCBS-FM will be Aerosmith, Duran Duran, No Doubt, Lenny Kravitz, The Eagles, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and REM. The station's new website can be found at www.ilikejack.com.

Guns N' Roses' "Paradise City," The Romantics' "Talking In Your Sleep," Rick James' "Superfreak," Barenaked Ladies' "One Week," A Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran," and Robert Palmer's "Bad Case of Loving You" are among the diverse song titles that will be featured on WJMK-FM. The station's new website can be found at www.iknowjack.com

"These are the songs that we all loved growing up, but haven't heard in years," said WJMK-FM VP/GM Dave Robbins. "But this station is about more than just the music - it's about being a true reflection of our great city's culture. We couldn't be more excited to debut Chicago's newest and most unique radio station."

Infinity Broadcasting launched its first Jack station in July 2004 at KJKK-FM in Dallas. The station has improved its position from 28th to 5th, and currently ranks as the most listened to station in the market with adults 25-54. Jack format changes have also occurred at stations in Los Angeles, Baltimore, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Buffalo.

For more Breaking News, go to FMQB.com.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DiamondJoe on 06/03/05 10:11 PM.</FONT></P>

In other words: CBS-FM 2

Can you say... K-Rock?

You know the traditional oldies listeners will not be liking this. No more can they tune into their format in the car.

And as I type this, there was a liner that said "your favorite oldies are just a click away"...

It's no surprise that the oldies format is dying. These format flips in the No. 1 and 3 markets cement that.<P ID="signature">______________

> As your humble moderator, my two cents:
>
> You knew it was coming to New York, eventually... It all
> counted on who would be the sacrificial lamb...
>
> Personally, given all the run that Jack got all over the
> country, I figured New York would not see it until the fall,
> at the earliest. That's why New York is a market of its
> own...
>
> Many would argue that WNEW should have been the one to get
> Jacked. Not true. Let them have fun battling with WKTU with
> their own style of dance music. Then in a year from now, one
> of them, if not both (I still predict both at some point)
> will flip to Hurban, if not a derivative of the format.
>
> I still think it's weird - this morning, Micky Dolenz
> celebrated his 100th show... Wonder if he will ever do show
> "101"? Speaking of personalities, I wonder who they'll
> hire... bring back from Mix 105 or even WPIX-FM retreads?
>
> Edited to add: As far as Jack's long-term sucess... I can
> imagine there could be a slight uptick on the beaches...
> Just like the Christmas format, starting small in the
> malls... Whether it could sustain for a year or so, well,
> given that this is New York, and not Portland, Maine, there
> could be oppression ratings-wise. But it sounds great!
> (selective sarcasm)
>
> This is all so surreal, but give it time... It just might
> work...
>
Rap and rock Oh! please give me a break!!!! AOL is streaming Jack-FM 101.1.
By the way Statton Island and Brooklyn I-Pods users are not going to give
up their I-Pods for this crazy mix of music when they can hear their own!!! Sounds rather like Classic hits to me. Just a new package.

Re: In other words: CBS-FM 2

> Can you say... K-Rock?
>
> You know the traditional oldies listeners will not be liking
> this. No more can they tune into their format in the car.
>
> And as I type this, there was a liner that said "your
> favorite oldies are just a click away"...
>
> It's no surprise that the oldies format is dying. These
> format flips in the No. 1 and 3 markets cement that.
>
What about WPLJ? Think they might take the plunge to oldies?

Re: WPLJ? Oldies? Hmmm...

> > It's no surprise that the oldies format is dying. These
> > format flips in the No. 1 and 3 markets cement that.
> >
> What about WPLJ? Think they might take the plunge to oldies?

Again, the traditional oldies format on radio is being worked out of the equation. If anything, Disney might take one of their AM's and run Scott Shannon's "True Oldies Channel" (Scott, of course, works for WPLJ). But in market No. 1, the one thing it would take for that to happen is lots and lots of "moolah".

In a related thought, I wonder if CBS-FM flipped in response to WPLJ dabbling with "Jack" with their "Flush the Format" programming events... But the fact that sister station WJMK Chicago flipped at the same time to Jack makes me think otherwise.<P ID="signature">______________

1011cbsfmrocks.com...You have no oldies!

> > > It's no surprise that the oldies format is dying. These
> > > format flips in the No. 1 and 3 markets cement that.
> > >
> > What about WPLJ? Think they might take the plunge to
> oldies?
>
> Again, the traditional oldies format on radio is being
> worked out of the equation. If anything, Disney might take
> one of their AM's and run Scott Shannon's "True Oldies
> Channel" (Scott, of course, works for WPLJ). But in market
> No. 1, the one thing it would take for that to happen is
> lots and lots of "moolah".
>
> In a related thought, I wonder if CBS-FM flipped in response
> to WPLJ dabbling with "Jack" with their "Flush the Format"
> programming events... But the fact that sister station WJMK
> Chicago flipped at the same time to Jack makes me think
> otherwise.
>
Infinity should register that website before someone else takes it. It would be like http://www.y100rocks.com for Philly's former Y100.<P ID="signature">______________
17-year-old radio geek
AIM: KewlDude471</P>

Re: WPLJ? Oldies? Hmmm...

This is pure fantasy, but if WPLJ flipped to Oldies, I think they should change their call letters to WABC-FM and get the old jingles. But that is fantasy.

> > >
> > What about WPLJ? Think they might take the plunge to
> oldies?
>
> <P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

Re: In other words: CBS-FM 2

> Can you say... K-Rock?
>
> You know the traditional oldies listeners will not be liking
> this. No more can they tune into their format in the car.
>
> And as I type this, there was a liner that said "your
> favorite oldies are just a click away"...
>
> It's no surprise that the oldies format is dying. These
> format flips in the No. 1 and 3 markets cement that.
>
I could have told you Oldies was dying. The oldies station in Indianapolis, a top 5, flipped to Jack a few months ago. You just can't sell something that doesn't have much shelf life left, as the listeners keep dying off.

I was just in the New York area a few weeks ago, and I loved WCBS. But Jack has a much better mix of music. Only time will tell if the "playing what we want" liners will wear thin on you, but the music never will for me.

and 13 years later....this whole thing STILL surprises me - and saddens me...cos' I know TOO WELL that the CBSFM of even 2004-early 2005 was 101.1% better than the station at 101.1 today :(

The executives in the radio business are trying to appeal to the 25-54 demographic who grew up listening to 80s music. In 2005 they made the transition the wrong way by abruptly flipping to Jack. Since 2007 WCBS-FM has gradually elimiated 60s and early 70s music and moved toward 80s and even some 90s hits. WCBS-FM has consistantly done very well in the ratings so you just can't argue with success. I only listen to them an hour or so every week for old times sake. I don't like the music mix as they play too many burnouts. I listen to internet radio stations for oldies.

CBS FM now is just Jack by another name
I wish they'd just call themselves Entercom FM

Hardly.

Licensed users of the "Jack" brand have playlists that one programmer has described as "a mile wide and an inch deep". They span a broad period of time, and have a more open focus.

CBS-FM is simply a good (and highly successful) example of today's "classic hits" format, targeting persons roughly in the 35-64 age range, but monetizing primarily the 35-54 segment. They do such a good job of it that they reach one out of every five persons over 12 years of age every week. In 25-64, they reach nearly 25% of all persons in the market weekly.

It's a radio station, not a museum,

There is some music of the 1960s that is timeless and appeals to all ages including those desired by classic hits station. I am not in the radio business but think that WCBS-FM and similar stations should regularly play Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Motown and other groups with universal appeal. I would like to see these stations air a specialty show that plays exclusively 60s music.

There is some music of the 1960s that is timeless and appeals to all ages including those desired by classic hits station. I am not in the radio business but think that WCBS-FM and similar stations should regularly play Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Motown and other groups with universal appeal. I would like to see these stations air a specialty show that plays exclusively 60s music.

Most of the people WCBS-FM is now targeting will tolerate that music at weddings and bar mitzvahs. They don't want to hear it on the radio. It's their parents' and grandparents' music.

And honestly how lucrative is that audience anymore? Once you're past 55, you know that advertisers don't go near you. Want a 60s station? PTY-HD2 on Long Island is your answer.

...stations should regularly play Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Motown and other groups with universal appeal.

The error is thinking that those artists and similar ones are "universal". While, as CTListener observed, many folks have fun or at least tolerate such music at social events, there is no interest at all by most in hearing those songs regularly.

In the 60's and 70's I used to hear older people saying that stations should play the Doris Day and Glenn Miller standards along with the Rat Pack and Perry Como. As a relatively young person who pretty much ran for the door when I heard one of those tunes, I realized that there are generational disconnects in music that are much stronger than Trump´s border wall. :rolleyes:

Hardly.

Licensed users of the "Jack" brand have playlists that one programmer has described as "a mile wide and an inch deep". They span a broad period of time, and have a more open focus.

CBS-FM is simply a good (and highly successful) example of today's "classic hits" format, targeting persons roughly in the 35-64 age range, but monetizing primarily the 35-54 segment. They do such a good job of it that they reach one out of every five persons over 12 years of age every week. In 25-64, they reach nearly 25% of all persons in the market weekly.

It's a radio station, not a museum,

Well stated. It's radio 'business', not radio 'art'.

I, for one, wouldn't be hurt if The Beatles were not aired, period.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom