• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lee Iacocca, who helped create the Ford Mustang and then rescued Chrysler has died

Auto industry icon Lee Iacocca, once one of America's highest profile business executives and credited with rescuing Chrysler from near-bankruptcy in the 1980s, has died. He was 94.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/02/business/lee-iacocca-obituary/index.html

Interestingly, during the period when he did the Chrysler TV spots, he apparently influenced a number of radio station managers to do their own spots endorsing the radio station and / or making some kind of consumer friendly comment.

I think the success of his pitches really ushered in the practice, now somewhat common, of CEOs appearing in advertisements.

He was a genuine business legend. RIP.

His pitches were so successful that my little sis decided to make her very first new car a K-car. And I co-signed for it!
I'd call that marketing success!

The highlight of Iacocca's career was his stint as the TV pitchman for Chrysler.

The lowlight came during his time at Ford where he was essentially fingered as the executive
who made the decision to not install a five-dollar baffle plate between the bumper and the gas tank
on the Ford Pinto. The additional cost was deemed to be not justified, which turned out to be tragic.

Yeah. He saved Ford with the Mustang and then almost put it out of business with the Pinto.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom