• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ and WNSH HD subchannel shuffle

Theater of My Mind

Star Participant
Forgive me if these changes were already in place prior to the PLJ flip. I haven't checked these HD subchannels in a while.

EMF's WPLJ-HD2 now carries The Bridge (WRDR/Freehold Township, NJ), feeding a number of translators in the area. That's the only HD radio subchannel on 95.5 now.

WPLJ had previously been carrying Russian-language Russkaya Reklama on its HD2, and 'FAS-FM on its HD3. 'FAS was being fed to translator W232AL-FM in Westchester county as a poor replacement for WFAS-FM after Cumulus moved the real WFAS-FM to the Bronx and flipped it to Urban AC as WNBM. Cumulus dropped 'FAS from both the HD subchannel and the translator on May 1, I believe. I don't know when they dropped the Russian HD subchannel.

The Bridge was previously carried on WNSH-HD4 but WNSH now has no HD subchannels. However it is still broadcasting the main channel in HD as WNSH-HD1.

Last edited:
Currently WABC 770 has no FM HD signal? It's not on 94.7. 95.5 is no longer in the Cumulus cluster. Would it make any sense to put it on 103.9, the other FM that Cumulus owns.

Has WNSH moved to its new tower location yet? Perhaps when it does, it will also have WABC on an HD subchannel.

94.7 is also no longer operated by Cumulus, due to its pending sale to Entercom and LMA until the FCC approves the sale. So I do not expect 770 WABC will pick up an HD2/HD3 simulcast.

The sale already closed a few weeks ago.
It is unlikely that WNSH has already moved to its new tower location, as that was only approved last month. It should boost their ratings, as it is expected to improved their signal in Long Island.

I’m sure it will take some time to get done. The new FM antenna is being mounted on an AM tower, which requires some engineering. Also, things need to be coordinated with WMAS-FM’s related downgrade. The CP for that was also issued in mid-May.

Currently WABC 770 has no FM HD signal? It's not on 94.7. 95.5 is no longer in the Cumulus cluster. Would it make any sense to put it on 103.9, the other FM that Cumulus owns.

I don't think 103.9 is broadcasting in HD. At least I can't lock into any HD from them and I'm not all that far away. Anyway, that's a pretty small signal and the HD footprint would be even smaller, mostly covering the Bronx I assume. Not exactly a hotbed of potential conservative talk listeners.

It seems strange to me that Cumulus has hung onto this little station. I can understand them keeping WABC just to clear their syndicated talk programming in New York but I don't understand the business model of them keeping WNBM.

It would be great they flip WNBM to a classic hiphop station. Right in the target demo. That would be better than a copy/paste station like WBLS what it is now.

WNSH is being mounted on one of WORs towers correct. I was always told many years ago, most of the local FM signals were out in the meadows using their AM co owned towers. It was discovered that the signals could not penetrate the Manhattan skyline effectively even though these signals were all close to 50kw. This resulted in all of them moving either to the Empire or the WTC, so why would they want to move WNSH to that very location utilizing under 50kw at 40kw.

This from emf
WPLJ-HD2 is currently broadcasting WJUX, a Bridgelight owned signal. Once we have completed the equipment upgrade to broadcast HD3 and HD4, WJUX is currently scheduled to move to 95.5 HD4 with Air1 on 95.5 HD2 and K-LOVE Classics on 95.5 HD3. All of this is subject to change depending on other circumstances.

This from emf

That's a good clue as to how many more FM stations EMF would like to buy in NYC with their bottomless pit of tax-free money, removing more entertainment outlets from the commercial spectrum to be replaced with more variants of their propaganda. You'd better believe their goal is to build a cluster and take over the dial.

That's a good clue as to how many more FM stations EMF would like to buy in NYC with their bottomless pit of tax-free money, removing more entertainment outlets from the commercial spectrum to be replaced with more variants of their propaganda. You'd better believe their goal is to build a cluster and take over the dial.

K-love listeners think of the format as "Christian entertainment". It may not entertain you, but in the majority of the markets they are in with decent signals they are in the top quintile of all stations in the market. Even in LA where they started recently and are prohibited from marketing the name, they are in the top third of all stations in the market and are cumming over a half million listeners.

There are Contemporary Christian station at #1 in places like Atlanta. That should show you that the format is entertaining and liked by many.

Removing a commercial station from the battle for ever-decreasing ad dollars makes it a tiny bit better for the remaining commercial stations, too.

Taxes are only paid on profits. Since EMF applies all its surplus funds to stations acquisition and the expansion of its events and community outreach, it would likely pay no income taxes on its revenue even if it were commercial.

I disagree that K-love is a "propaganda" outlet; the listeners are already practicing Christians who simply want a radio station that does not betray their belief system.

(K-Love) listeners are already practicing Christians who simply want a radio station that does not betray their belief system.
This should be the lead line in the K-Love/CCM FAQ if we have one. It's no more complicated than that.

in LA where they started recently and are prohibited from marketing the name, they are in the top third of all stations in the market and are cumming over a half million listeners.
David, how do they ID themselves in LA if they can't use K-Love? Do they have separate drop-ins for the LA signal?

I disagree that K-love is a "propaganda" outlet; the listeners are already practicing Christians who simply want a radio station that does not betray their belief system.

This should be the lead line in the K-Love/CCM FAQ if we have one. It's no more complicated than that.

Propaganda outlets always serve an audience that believes what they hear. Sometimes the motivation is politics, other times it's money. K-Love does constant pitches for money, it's no more complicated than that.

Propaganda outlets always serve an audience that believes what they hear. Sometimes the motivation is politics, other times it's money. K-Love does constant pitches for money, it's no more complicated than that.

But the motivation isn't money. Money is simply the gasoline that drives the engine.

People believe what they want to believe. No one forces anyone to listen to 95.5. That was obvious before the sale, and it applies as well now.

People volunteer the money. They have their reasons.

You call what EMF does 'propaganda'. But EMF serves a faith-based audience. They aren't asking for anything other than some programming that supports their faith. And enough of them are willing to support that programming with their own funds. Voluntarily.

Now, there are "news" channels dedicated to audiences who want to believe in partisan fiction. That's propaganda. These people are asking for your tax dollars to support their partisan fantasies.

You might want to redirect your concern. EMF is harmless.

It's no more complicated....

Look at what EMF does with the money. Follow the money. Else, you're never gonna 'get it'.

Please take your own advice. The last numbers I saw reported had the CEO salary at over half a million dollars. And if you think that's all he's really getting out of it then you probably also believe Mitch McConnell only makes $193k/year from his publicly disclosed Senate salary.

EMF is big business. Big radio, big religion. It's always about the money.

https://www.wthrockmorton.com/2016/05/01/k-loves-pledge-drive-money-behind-the-music

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom