• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Powerful 93.7 pirate busted in San Jose, about 5000 watts!

nd2023

Walk of Fame Participant
777 millivolts per meter at 600 meters! That's 118 dBu, 594 meters from the antenna. Assuming its antenna is less than 30 meters high, according to FM Curves, it is transmitting 5000 watts, more power than Class A stations! City grade contour at 5.5 miles, 60 dBu (a licensed station would be protected to this contour, and it's Radio-Locator's red circle) at 9.3 miles, 40 dBu (furthest place for reliable reception in the car, and Radio-Locator's blue circle) at 28 miles. 43.5 miles to the 30 dB contour, which means it can be detected through the static 43.5 miles away! This is the most powerful pirate station I ever heard about. Here is its website: http://www.liberationradio.net/

The San Francisco Office received information that an unlicensed broadcast
radio station on 93.7 MHz was allegedly operating in San Jose, California.
On May 6, 2010, agents from this office confirmed by direction finding
techniques that radio signals on frequency 93.7 MHz were emanating from
your residence in San Jose, California. The Commission's records show that
no license was issued for operation of a broadcast station at this
location on 93.7 MHz in San Jose, California.

Radio stations must be licensed by the FCC pursuant to 47 U.S.C. S: 301.
The only exception to this licensing requirement is for certain
transmitters using or operating at a power level that complies with the
standards established in Part 15 of the Commission's rules, 47 C.F.R.
S:S: 15.1 et seq. Your operation on frequency 93.7 MHz was measured at
777,392 microvolts per meter (uV/m) at 594 meters. This exceeds the
allowable unlicensed limit of 250 uV/m at 3 meters established in Part 15.
Thus, this station is operating in violation of 47 U.S.C. S: 301.

Spurious radio signals associated with the operation of this station were
detected on frequencies within the radio frequency band assigned for
communications between aircraft and/or aircraft and aviation ground
facilities. The signals may present a safety hazard to the operation of
aircraft since air/ground communications could be affected.

You are hereby warned that operation of radio transmitting equipment
without a valid radio station authorization constitutes a violation of the
Federal laws cited above and could subject the operator of this illegal
operation to severe penalties, including, but not limited to, substantial
monetary forfeitures, in rem arrest action against the offending radio
equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment. (See 47 U.S.C.
S:S: 401, 501, 503 and 510).

UNLICENSED OPERATION OF THIS RADIO STATION MUST BE DISCONTINUED
IMMEDIATELY.

You have ten (10) days from the date of this notice to respond with any
evidence that you have authority to operate granted by the FCC. Your
response should be sent to the address in the letterhead and reference the
listed case and document number. Under the Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C.
S: 552a(e)(3), we are informing you that the Commission's staff will use
all relevant material information before it to determine what, if any,
enforcement action is required to ensure your compliance with FCC Rules.
This will include any information that you disclose in your reply.

Be advised that this notice does not preclude this office from pursuing
additional sanctions based upon our investigation of this incident.

You may contact this office if you have any questions.

wow 5000 watts.. Thats not very smart.. Why dont people just do internet pirate radio, it hurts no one, and most of all you are less likely to be busted, and you have a world wide reach audience, and if this station was just talkm then it would be except of royalties, meaning that the station online would be 100 percent legal. I am definately pro pirate,, I support pirate opps, but be smart about it,, use a clean freq, and keep the spurs out, and dont use so much power to get noticed.

"I am the notorious Midwestclubber and im a PC."

Notorious? Never heard of you.

Nick said:
The San Francisco Office received information that an unlicensed broadcast
radio station on 93.7 MHz was allegedly operating in San Jose, California.
On May 6, 2010, agents from this office confirmed by direction finding
techniques that radio signals on frequency 93.7 MHz were emanating from
your residence in San Jose, California.

WHOA there, big fella. How did you manage to get this info? There is nothing in Google News about it. There is nothing on the FCC website about it. Every time Pirate Cat was busted by the FCC there was a post on the FCC website. Why not this San Jose one? And is it really San Francisco Liberation Radio? If so, there is nothing on the website you posted to indicate a bust. Secondly, it appears that there's been no update of the SFLR website since February.

Also, I should think that someone operating on 93.7 with 5kw would have gotten so much attention that the various broadcasting newsgroups and web forums would have info. But there's nothing except your post here.

This sounds very suspicious.

I expect they got it from the C&D served on them, which can precede publication.

The 5KW part sounds fishy to me. That's 10 amps of RF, assuming 50 ohms... You can't just pump that into one of those whip antennas without melting it down.

DaveBayArea said:
Me too. I guess it could have been a 250-watt transmitter and a yagi. I'm really surprised I never heard it tho.
Dave B.

I have presets on my car radio for 87.9, 93.7, and 104.1, the 3 channels most likely to be used by FM pirates around here. Last time I punched those up was about a week ago and I didn't hear anything on any of them. I've noticed that since the $10,000 fine was levied against Pirate Cat there has been very little pirate activity around here.

DavidKaye said:
DaveBayArea said:
Me too. I guess it could have been a 250-watt transmitter and a yagi. I'm really surprised I never heard it tho.
Dave B.

I have presets on my car radio for 87.9, 93.7, and 104.1, the 3 channels most likely to be used by FM pirates around here. Last time I punched those up was about a week ago and I didn't hear anything on any of them. I've noticed that since the $10,000 fine was levied against Pirate Cat there has been very little pirate activity around here.

What Happened to that Berkely piratr on 104.1?

The OP should actually link to this NOTICE he posted,
Guy

San Jose could easily get a Class A station on 93.7, but how do you move 93.7 from Felton CA to San Jose area?

e-dawg said:
San Jose could easily get a Class A station on 93.7, but how do you move 93.7 from Felton CA to San Jose area?

I haven't looked over the rules in ages, but I don't recall that Class A stations are allowed in major cities. They're designed for local service in smaller communities. Are you aware of any Class As that are assigned to major cities? I can't think of even one.

DavidKaye said:
I haven't looked over the rules in ages, but I don't recall that Class A stations are allowed in major cities. They're designed for local service in smaller communities. Are you aware of any Class As that are assigned to major cities? I can't think of even one.

The problem is that it's difficult to provide adequate 70 dBu service to an entire large city with a Class A commercial facility, but, for non-comms, the community coverage rule is less demanding. For example, you'll find several Class A non-comms licensed to Chicago, two in San Jose, and even one in Los Angeles.

However, there are many Class A commercial stations licensed to suburbs with transmitters in the major city. For example, WRNB, Pennsauken, NJ (with its antenna atop the spire of One Liberty Place in central Philadelphia), WMMJ, Bethesda, MD (which transmits from the WAMU tower in northwest DC) and of course KREV Alameda on Russian Hill in San Francisco.

WDKX, Rochester, NY is a fairly large-city commercial Class A assignment, but Rochester is no longer a Top 50 market.

travisl5678 said:
Is The San Francisco pirate on 107.3 still on

I haven't heard from that pirate in a while. However the 102.5 pirate in San Francisco has come back, usually broadcasting from 9 AM- 7 PM on certain days. Their signal is so strong, it makes it all the way to the East Bay, causing interference to KSFM and KDON. Sometimes they ever broadcast Wild 94.9 through their own tuner on that pirate. If KYLD heard about that, I would imagine they'd be unhappy about a pirate using their content.

Mid West Clubber said:
Why don't people just do internet pirate radio? You are less likely to be busted...

"Internet pirate radio." First, the term is an oxymoron. Not to nitpick, but in the interest of accuracy and clarification, "internet" isn't "radio," because there's no actual electromagnetic signal, so no license is needed, thus precluding the word "pirate," since you're not breaking any laws; so how would you be busted at all if you're only on the internet?

I'm guessing you mean "putting your audio on the internet, so that you won't get busted for operating a pirate radio station?"

rickradio said:
Mid West Clubber said:
Why don't people just do internet pirate radio? You are less likely to be busted...

"Internet pirate radio." First, the term is an oxymoron. Not to nitpick, but in the interest of accuracy and clarification, "internet" isn't "radio," because there's no actual electromagnetic signal, so no license is needed, thus precluding the word "pirate," since you're not breaking any laws; so how would you be busted at all if you're only on the internet?

I'm guessing you mean "putting your audio on the internet, so that you won't get busted for operating a pirate radio station?"
I think he's referring to not paying RIAA and ASCAP and BMI and SESAC and, and, and, and, and to play commercial music on the internet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom