• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your Favorite Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-West Palm Beach Stations

We have not done this in a while, so I will start with my list, in no particular order:
1. Coast 97.3 - While there is some voicetracking (especially on weekends), Coast has a good variety. It has good speciality programming, specifically their 80s weekends. The number of live shifts is refreshing.
2. 99.9 Kiss Country - They seem to have more live programming than the rest. The variety could use some work. But I like their imaging.
3. 101.5 Lite FM - Good variety, more live shifts than most.
4. Majic 102.7 - Still play some "real" Oldies; very live and local.
5. 103.1 The Buzz - Good music selection for an otherwise dying format. They do a great job with the 90s Gold.

Your opinions?

Perhaps this post is not a perfect fit for the subject but I believe many of you will appreciate the slight change of course. Most often I post in the North Florida board as that is now my home turf. In my quest to kick radio up a notch where I live, I often site the greatness of the past and the wonderful radio experiences I enjoyed in South Florida from the late 70's through the late 90's. I gave special recognition to Bill Tanner and Mindy Lang in a post now on the second page of comments on that board you may want to check out - clearing up loose ends. http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=159726.0

I spent a good amount of time back in South Florida last month and I continue to enjoy the radio experience. I have to agree with a lot Scott said. Given my age, I tend to listen to Majic 102.7 and WLYF (Lite FM) a good deal. My goodness, it has to be several decades that I have enjoyed these stations. But I find myself increasingly fascinated with the Coast, especially their 80's weekends. There is a certain soundtrack that is unique to South Florida and I still hear it in the music.

Given the amount of time I had on this last trip, I really found myself going to so many places that I enjoyed so much in more youthful days. I'll always love Miami and especially Coconut Grove. For a moment, I was in my 20s again.

On the way, I noticed the old Y-100 building and it's now home to Cox Radio - my goodness. What follows is personal but for way too long, I kept it in and I just need to share it. Denny's that's next door ( A place I went to a ton of times after a night of clubbing) got me thinking about the greatness of radio and how many who were on the air really had a bond with the listener. Let me briefly explain.

I suppose each of us has highs and lows in life. For a time in the early 80's, I was going through a pretty bad time. After a Friday night being out all night, I justy couldn't sleep. I called a weekend early morning host who was on Y-100. He must have figured I was in trouble. He listened for what was a couple of hours. For the next few weeks, I kept in touch. One day we were supposed to meet at that Denny's but somehow it didn't happen. I got my act together. He was an inspiration to me but I never really thanked him. When he passed away, I thought I lost my best friend. But that's the way radio was at one time.

Anyway, personal stuff but I have wanted a long time to say it. There are still great people on the air today but they are so restricted. All I can say now is "Thank You" for caring. I'm just one story - I'm sure in the days when those on the air were really a friend - there's got to be a lot more stories. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Peace.

Both above posters touched upon the Coast all eighties weekends.
Be advised that they (Coast) do it 24/7 on their HD2 stream.

I like the following:

93 Rock - local station playing a mix of new rock and the odd classic
93.9 mia - new and old dance music
Big 105.9 - the "classics"

DXDXDX said:
Any station where Russ Morley doesn't exist. The boy is and was a problem child from way back!

Oh wow, the memories! He fired me and that was the nicest thing he ever did! Old Russ has quite a reputation.

Mike...

One would think that they would get the message by now since its not just one guy but legions of guys who have had problems with this individual. But apparently he wears this like a badge of honor. Imagine living like that! Kind of like someone who is told over anmd over they need to change their dirty clothes and they just keep wearing them until the reputation they bring begins with "hurry, open the windows!" And did I see an internet site where this guy was marketing a program where he and some woman were offering relationship advice????? Incredible!

I love the talk radio so for me there's pretty much two stations I listen to.

1. SoFloRadio.com - Jorge has done a pretty good job of assembling a local online station. I've heard all the shows and they're all entertaining. Radio Dan, Mich Phillips, and Joe Castello are great in the mornings. I'm even enjoying the Beast now that he's not just doing sports! Dont know what happened to Byron Eggers though. He had the worst show on the station.

2. 790 the Ticket - Really this is mainly because of the Dan LeBatard Show, which is my favorite talk show right now. Always funny and entertaining. Sedano in the mornings is just oooooookay and I run hot and cold with Sid Rosenberg.

Clasica 92 - every friday and saturday night, they play a great mix of disco and freestyle
93.9 Mia

All the community stations usually between 1610 and 1680 (Miramar might still be on 1280) inclusive, but not the DOT/FHP stations usually on 1640/1650/1660.

DXDXDX said:
Mike...

One would think that they would get the message by now since its not just one guy but legions of guys who have had problems with this individual. But apparently he wears this like a badge of honor. Imagine living like that! Kind of like someone who is told over anmd over they need to change their dirty clothes and they just keep wearing them until the reputation they bring begins with "hurry, open the windows!" And did I see an internet site where this guy was marketing a program where he and some woman were offering relationship advice????? Incredible!

I haven't seen that site, but that would be a hoot. Russ Morley is a guy I really wanted to like, but I couldn't because he had a mean streak and just didn't seem very happy at all. This was 1979-1980, I don't know what pressure he was under as PD of WRMF.

My job was Production Director and let me tell you I had pressure! We had one production studio for WJNO and WRMF. Spots for both stations had to be done there, music had to be recorded for WRMF and news reporters had to voice their reports all from that studio. It was a madhouse. The production room hummed and buzzed because the tower for WRMF. WJNO and WIRK-FM was right outside the window. The engineers would come in to fix something and that would be great but it also caused further delays.

After getting fired as Production Director John Picano had me fill in for a week as a news anchor on WJNO. What a nice difference to be on the other side of the glass. The WJNO guys were real pros, and everyone was very helpful as I did their all news format. Let me tell you it's not as easy as it sounds. The board ops were great.

Fast forward a few years I shuddered to learn that while I was working in Charlotte for soft A/C WEZC 102.9, Russ Morley came in as PD of Mix 104.7. My thought was that's too close for comfort! I heard a rumor he blasted a part timer while he was at Mix and the part timer said Have you got your car keys Russ? You better have them because after I start this next record, I'm gone! I don't know if it's true but it's a great story!

I don't hold any grudges, the bad experiences make me appreciate the good.

Back to the original question, not really a classique rock kind of guy, but whensoever upon Thy Gater do I land, upon 98.7 do I hang.

ScottBurns said:
We have not done this in a while, so I will start with my list, in no particular order:
1. Coast 97.3 - While there is some voicetracking (especially on weekends), Coast has a good variety. It has good speciality programming, specifically their 80s weekends. The number of live shifts is refreshing.
2. 99.9 Kiss Country - They seem to have more live programming than the rest. The variety could use some work. But I like their imaging.
3. 101.5 Lite FM - Good variety, more live shifts than most.
4. Majic 102.7 - Still play some "real" Oldies; very live and local.
5. 103.1 The Buzz - Good music selection for an otherwise dying format. They do a great job with the 90s Gold.

Your opinions?

Agree on the Majic 102.7 - it gets a pretty good deal of air play up the road from me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom