• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWJX 51

Does anyone know what is going on with Jackson TV channel 51 WWJX? It no longer appears to be affiliated with My Family TV.

Better yet. does anyone know when they are going full power? I can sometimes pick them up in Rankin County if I monkey around with the antenna. I assume you are getting them on cable. I kinda enjoyed some of the ancient public domain shows they had on.

Just tuned in. It looks like programming from TLN (Total Living Network) I've never heard of it. They had a cooking show and a talk show for women called "Aspiring Women". Not anything I'd be interested in seeing. I prefered the old "Bonanza" reruns.

I figure that it may be going high power soon. Dish has been doing some testing for WWJX in preparation to add as an SD channel to the locals package.

However, looking at the TLN website, it looks like another Christian network airing the same stuff. I'm Christian, mind you, but there's so many of these type channels now on cable and satellite that I don't see this effort being very successful.

Truthfully, I figure one of two things will eventually end up happening with this station. Either it offers to broadcast CW in HD and steal the affiliation from WRBJ or it will end up being a Spanish language network affiliate of Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura, or one of the others. Although the latter sounds laughable, there would probably be a lot more viewers to the station in this case than there would be for TLN.

I have a bone to pick with WRBJ. They send out a 720p high defintion signal, but everything feeding the transmitter is in crappy old SD. to make matters worse. When CW network is on, its in widescreen which shows up as "windowboxed" with black on all 4 sides. even worse. some of the programming on CW network is in 4:3 SD but it a 16x9 frame. Which is also windowboxed on WRBJ, since its 4:3 it looks like a youtube video over the air. some of the shows on WRBJ are so dark you can barely see whats going on. Its not worth watching, and people around the jackson area have to turn the antenna to pick it up. I wish they would buy one of the low power stations and simulcast for Jackson viewers who can't get it. but please, no windowboxing.

I agree. My wife and I watch The Vampire Diaries on thursday nights (she loves vampire shows and movies). I usually do a partial stretch to get the picture to "fit", but it really needs to be proper HD, given the low lighting the show uses for effect. It would also be nice to get the fully DD 5.1 sound as well.

The reason that they don't do HD is that the studios are actually in St. Louis, MO and sent to the WRBJ tower via satellite. Another CW station of theirs, WZRB 47 in Columbia, SC is also doing this. Because of the configuration, they apparently can't just do HD without doing a fair amount of retooling. However, since both stations were constructed in the 2004-2006 time frame, it seems that they should have built in HD capability when they started building to ensure that when they flipped to digital, they would flip to HD as well.

Truthfully, I am toying with the idea of seeing if The Vampire Diaries video and sound would be better quality played off the CW website. We have a Dual Core computer that outputs a 720P signal to our HD set, which is also 720P, and sends an optical out to the receiver. It wouldn't be 5.1, but we don't have that now...

I don't really mind watching reruns and sydication on CW 34, since they are in 4:3 anyway, but I don't like watching letterboxed on a widescreen TV. Its too dark. I have a stretch button but it is still in the letterboxed format which will only make the picture narrow and fat. Some sets have a zoom feature so you can get rid of the letterbox but that doesn't work because the resolution goes to pot when you do that. If they would fix the HD they might find out that the ratings might even improve.
But since most people I know are still watching standard definition on cable I guess it wouldn't matter much to them. Most of them think they are watching HDTV anyway since they stretch everything.

In the Area around Forest, CW34 is the strongest station in the area. As their transmitter is located in North Smith County away from everything in my Opinion, the Station Location should not licensed to Magee but should be Licensed to Forest or Raliegh rather than Magee. I can get CW34 with an amplified rabbit ears. Really, Magee is a little bit south of where the transmitter is located. They should have been located around Mize or East of Raliegh. It is closer to Forest and Raliegh, Ms

I wish they would add add a translator or sattelite station in Jackson, because most antennas are pointed towards Raymond/Jackson. WLBT is no longer on channel 3, so that could be an open spot. Channel 3 wouldn't get out very far as a low power station. Most of these little round or square antennas and rabbit ears won't hardly work over 25 miles out and are lousy for VHF. I had no problem with VHF with my conventional outside antenna.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom